BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Real Ale

Does anybody know much about this Hopstar mini brewery in Darwen? :huh:

I`ve heard the name crop up in conversation a few times, but wondered if anybody can enlighten a bit more?

Good beer? Bad beer?

They have a small 6bbl brewery I think. Barry and his daughter run it. Heard that Barry may be taking a break currently. His original brewery used to have fermenters in sheds dotted around his back garden until he moved to present site.

They have a brewery tap in Darwen, I think its called No.39.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply
400yds from station to muni.....600yds back :wacko: lol.

A pal of mine from the Wigan area is a real ale fan & says he`s been on a few 'real-ale-rail days'. Train from Manchester Victoria over to somewhere in West Yorkshire (Halifax or Leeds way) train stops at various stops where you disembark, sample reals ales of pub outside train station, back on train to next stop & repeat until you get back to Man Vic. Sounds like a fun day out to me :)

Yes, I've been on that Ale trail train trip last year. There are some absolutely belting railway station buffet bars - you don't even need to leave the station.

Stalybridge is typical - looks like the sort of place you'd go for a cup of tea but you open the door and there's eight hand pumps and a stack of pies.

Some of the stations don't have them, so there's a good pub very close by instead.

Only trouble is you can't possibly do all the stops to Dewsbury and get back to Manchester, so you have to pick and choose or just get a return to somewhere half way along.

Well worth it but avoid Saturdays. A mate of mine went and it was full of stag and hen parties, so he struggled to get in anywhere. I think it was a Thursday when I went - no problems at all.

Does anybody know much about this Hopstar mini brewery in Darwen? :huh:

I`ve heard the name crop up in conversation a few times, but wondered if anybody can enlighten a bit more?

Good beer? Bad beer?

Yes. Their tap is in bridge street in darwen, called Number 39. I think the beer is ok, especailly the smoky Joes Black beer. If I remember correctly all their beers are session beers.

I would not say their beers are stunning. But they are very decent. I know their Lancashire Gold beer does not travel that well. we tried it in my club is sussex. But once it really settled, folk liked it. Number 39 is well worth a try in my view. Also at £2.00 a pint last year you may as well try everyone of their beers they have on and go back to try the ones that were not on at that time.

Black Bull is ok as well. Another place that does its own beer - just in the middle of nowhere.

You will find a decent pint at The victoria in Great Harwood. They do not brew their own. But have more than 6 pumps on.

You will find a decent pint at The victoria in Great Harwood. They do not brew their own. But have more than 6 pumps on.

You appear to have a passion for beer pafell. Can an average sort of pub do justice to 6 cask ales before they start to go vinegary? I am of the opinion that it can't and that cask ales once settled are better soft pegged and drunk in as short a time as possible.

You appear to have a passion for beer pafell. Can an average sort of pub do justice to 6 cask ales before they start to go vinegary? I am of the opinion that it can't and that cask ales once settled are better soft pegged and drunk in as short a time as possible.

Popped into the Black Bull yesterday afternoon. There must`ve been 70+ people in there! Standing room only. Their ales aren`t in the keg long enough to go vinegary. They must be making a bloody killing in there.

Not all the casks hold 36gals. If you buy several smaller casks they are empty before they get the chance to go vinegary.

Not all the casks hold 36gals. If you buy several smaller casks they are empty before they get the chance to go vinegary.

Most casks are 9 gals nowadays, not many retailers would risk a 'barrel', (the name for a 36 gal cask).

Without question, Yes. It depends on the cellar, cellarman and the beers they sell. That is the basic for a decent pub. Then you add on the friendliness of the place etc. Easier for a freehouse than one part of a chain.

I am a member of and often work the bar and do the cellar of an RAF club. Two years ago we got into real ale. We do not have a club beer. Instead use a variety of brewrys. We had one pump and now have 4 pumps. £2.60 a pint, which is good for the south coast. In a short space of time our reputation grew. We are now in the Camra good Beer Guide. So in my opinion, if a little rafa club that has a lot of elderly folk in can do it, so can a pub, especially one in a good location.

We have never had a beer go off because it has not been drunk. We have had bad deliveries - infact there is one in preston that is annoying me Arkwrights - we had a bad delivery. Although they replaced it without question - their beers are not traveling well.

The barrels we order hold 72 pints - so we have 288 pints of ale. It is very rare for a barrel to last 3 days - apart from the dark beers - which have a longer shelf life anyway.

Folk coming down for the brighton match - go to the evening star pub and try the ales there. Very near the station. They have some teriffic beers in there.

Most casks are 9 gals nowadays, not many retailers would risk a 'barrel', (the name for a 36 gal cask).

I use the word barrel for simple explanation for others.

But for you FIRKIN 9 GALLONS - KILDERKIN 18, BARREL 36, HOGSHEAD 54, BUTT 108, TUN 216. I think I have those right. trying to remember what the carling comes in now - that is heavy enough in itself.

The Railway at Pleasingtons closed this weekend. Usual thing, pub dead on it's feet, new landlord/lady comes in, does well and resurrects a place, brewery notices and puts the rent up asap.

Dunno if anybody's lined up to take it yet.

If I were ever to consider taking a pub it would have to be a freehouse. Brewery's treat their tenents in a way that would be impossible with their employees.

The Railway at Pleasingtons closed this weekend. Usual thing, pub dead on it's feet, new landlord/lady comes in, does well and resurrects a place, brewery notices and puts the rent up asap.

If I were ever to consider taking a pub it would have to be a freehouse. Brewery's treat their tenents in a way that would be impossible with their employees.

That I agree with you. I loathe tied houses cos of the way many of the big brewrys treat their landlords. There has been a recent debate in parliament on this. I do not know what the outcome was.

There is a video on camra's website about the experiences folk have had with pubco's. I do not know how to do links, but is well worth watching. I have been tempted to boycott tied places. But consider it unfair on the landlords. Pubco's are a disgrace.

Do you ever go to beer festivals? There are some coming up in wigan, bolton and oldham between now and April. (just checked camra's website.)

Without question, Yes. It depends on the cellar, cellarman and the beers they sell. That is the basic for a decent pub. Then you add on the friendliness of the place etc. Easier for a freehouse than one part of a chain.

I am a member of and often work the bar and do the cellar of an RAF club. Two years ago we got into real ale. We do not have a club beer. Instead use a variety of brewrys. We had one pump and now have 4 pumps. £2.60 a pint, which is good for the south coast. In a short space of time our reputation grew. We are now in the Camra good Beer Guide. So in my opinion, if a little rafa club that has a lot of elderly folk in can do it, so can a pub, especially one in a good location.

We have never had a beer go off because it has not been drunk. We have had bad deliveries - infact there is one in preston that is annoying me Arkwrights - we had a bad delivery. Although they replaced it without question - their beers are not traveling well.

The barrels we order hold 72 pints - so we have 288 pints of ale. It is very rare for a barrel to last 3 days - apart from the dark beers - which have a longer shelf life anyway.

Folk coming down for the brighton match - go to the evening star pub and try the ales there. Very near the station. They have some teriffic beers in there.

I use the word barrel for simple explanation for others.

But for you FIRKIN 9 GALLONS - KILDERKIN 18, BARREL 36, HOGSHEAD 54, BUTT 108, TUN 216. I think I have those right. trying to remember what the carling comes in now - that is heavy enough in itself.

I just included the 'barrel' explanation for anybody that wasn't in the know.

On the bad beer delivery, don't Arkwrights deliver their own brews and also beers from other breweries?

I just included the 'barrel' explanation for anybody that wasn't in the know.

On the bad beer delivery, don't Arkwrights deliver their own brews and also beers from other breweries?

Yes. We had a few firkin of their gold. But not good when it got to us. yet the one before very good. They do replace them. Just wish their beer travelled better.

Yes, I never did understand the logic of breweries who prefer to see a pub closed rather than charge a reasonable rent. Do they not understand that a closed pub produces no rent and sells none of their product?

Edit - Typo.

Yes, I never did understand the logic of breweries who prefer to see a pub closed rather than charge a reasonable rent. Do they not understand that a closed pub produces no rent and sells none of their product?

Edit - Typo.

Because they think they will get more money from the next mug who comes along. I have considered not going into a tied pub, but feel sorry for the landlord. Sheppard Neame pubs I avoid as the beer is cr@p.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only recently discovered the joys of Thwaites' Wainwright. Now that's a nice brew.

Wainwrght is not bad ee. Thwaites 'fine rain' s also good. Though both a it weak for me. I pefer a beer from 5% abv and above.

I refer trying beers from little micro brewers.

Wainwrght is not bad ee. Thwaites 'fine rain' s also good. Though both a it weak for me. I pefer a beer from 5% abv and above.

I refer trying beers from little micro brewers.

It's not strength that counts, it's taste. The weaker the beer, the more you can drink, although below about 3.8% you start to lose taste and it becomes watery. I like all Thwaites bitter beers except Smooth. My local Con.Club (Baxenden) usually serves up Thwaites Cask Bitter in tip top condition as it should be served.

It's not strength that counts, it's taste. The weaker the beer, the more you can drink, although below about 3.8% you start to lose taste and it becomes watery. I like all Thwaites bitter beers except Smooth. My local Con.Club (Baxenden) usually serves up Thwaites Cask Bitter in tip top condition as it should be served.

Very fair comment with regards to weaker beers.. Came across a beer awhile ago called TRINITY, by REDEMPTION. Only 3%. But a stunning beer. Out of all the big brewers, I believe thwaites are ahead of the game. Correct me if I am wrong, but from memory, all thwaites beers are session beers. But wainwrights, smoothe, fine rain are good beers.

My club does not have a club beer. But change every week. We favour two brewers, dark star and rother valley. but that is my fault as I know the brewers and like their beers.

I have yet to come across a better pale beer, than Dark star's American Pale ale. Picked up many awards.

Sorry Al but if it was a choice between drinking in a Con club or not drinking, I'd be on the wagon.

Sorry Al but if it was a choice between drinking in a Con club or not drinking, I'd be on the wagon.

Be curious to know why you say that. I prefer drinking in a private club to a pub these days. Though I do work behind the bar at two - so that may influence me a bit.

Very fair comment with regards to weaker beers.. Came across a beer awhile ago called TRINITY, by REDEMPTION. Only 3%. But a stunning beer. Out of all the big brewers, I believe thwaites are ahead of the game. Correct me if I am wrong, but from memory, all thwaites beers are session beers. But wainwrights, smoothe, fine rain are good beers.My club does not have a club beer. But change every week. We favour two brewers, dark star and rother valley. but that is my fault as I know the brewers and like their beers.

I have yet to come across a better pale beer, than Dark star's American Pale ale. Picked up many awards.

You don't say. Christ, Pafell you don't half repeat yourself....most of it smells like bullshitt too.

Archived