BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Real Ale

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cos that would be good money wouldn't it?? its the type of job you do whilst claiming I'd imagine....not much future eh? pubs shutting down everywhere .

You make an obvious point BUT I rem many years ago somebody once giving me some excellent advice....... 'When all the experts are rushing one way, walk slowly in the opposite direction and you'll do OK'

cos that would be good money wouldn't it?? its the type of job you do whilst claiming I'd imagine....not much future eh? pubs shutting down everywhere .

Some pubs are closing down to government taxes. But micro brewing is on the increase. Pointless brewing, if nowhere to sell it - apart from personal consumption.

Bar work may be a tempory gap for somebody. I said cellar work. Money though is not my motive in life.

Pubs that will host a good range of real ale and a have decent well run cellar will still do well these days.

I am a member of a club that only had 75 members in it about 2 years ago. It now has over 600. This increase is down to us doing real ale.

Went to the Black Bull at Livesey a couple of weeks ago. There was live music on in the form of around ten folk musicians, like a group open mic and the place was full. Not my particular cup of tea but pleasant enough.

The Three B's Black Bull Bitter at 4% was superb. A convert to bitter many moons ago, I usually opt for Thwaites Smooth whenever I can but decided to give the BBB a try and stayed on it all night. Will definitely return and sample some of Three B's other offerings.

Went to the Black Bull at Livesey a couple of weeks ago. There was live music on in the form of around ten folk musicians, like a group open mic and the place was full. Not my particular cup of tea but pleasant enough.

Is that where those buggers have landed now? 10 musicians averaging 1 drink each. :rolleyes: Not only that but if you stand at the bar chatting to your mates whilst they wail their godawful imbecilic lanky dialect folky ditties they glare at you with a thinly dsiguised mixture of hatred and contempt.

Free ale and chip butts served by Susannah Reid in a fence net one piece and 5" stiletto's wouldn't get me in there when they are on.......

..... on second thoughts maybe I'm being a taj ott..... I never could resist a free chip butt!

The Three B's Black Bull Bitter at 4% was superb. A convert to bitter many moons ago, I usually opt for Thwaites Smooth whenever I can but decided to give the BBB a try and stayed on it all night. Will definitely return and sample some of Three B's other offerings.

I went there awhile ago. Tried one of each of their ales - using the wedge of a third of a pint. Nice beer. Went from there to number 39 in Darwen. Thwaites are ok. But as I prefer hoppy, strong beers, I will drink others. Not sure if thwaites do a beer over 5%.

Is that where those buggers have landed now? 10 musicians averaging 1 drink each. :rolleyes: Not only that but if you stand at the bar chatting to your mates whilst they wail their godawful imbecilic lanky dialect folky ditties they glare at you with a thinly dsiguised mixture of hatred and contempt.

Free ale and chip butts served by Susannah Reid in a fence net one piece and 5" stiletto's wouldn't get me in there when they are on.......

..... on second thoughts maybe I'm being a taj ott..... I never could resist a free chip butt!

There's a similar gang that " play" in The Bridge Inn in Ripponden on Mondays nights. They do sort of Irish Reels and Jigs, one after another, all the bloody same to me. I can't understand the landlords thinking because they don't drink anything either, " A glass of your very best tap water please " ! And nobody must go there just to here them play. Bloody nuisance.

There's a similar gang that " play" in The Bridge Inn in Ripponden on Mondays nights. They do sort of Irish Reels and Jigs, one after another, all the bloody same to me. I can't understand the landlords thinking because they don't drink anything either, " A glass of your very best tap water please " ! And nobody must go there just to here them play. Bloody nuisance.

A kindred spirit! Live music in pubs is one of my pet hates with the possible exception of a pianist or an accoustic guitarist strumming away quietly in the background. Most impof all musicians in pubs should never ever .... EVER be allowed to plug in a loudspeaker of any kind.

A kindred spirit! Live music in pubs is one of my pet hates with the possible exception of a pianist or an accoustic guitarist strumming away quietly in the background. Most impof all musicians in pubs should never ever .... EVER be allowed to plug in a loudspeaker of any kind.

I like music in the right environment. In my opinion pubs work better without music. The two I frequent regularly have piped music which I can't stand but it's not loud and when the pub fills up you can't hear it. In one they have a switch in my favourite room so you can switch it off. I'll be sat there minding my own business reading the paper on my own and a barmaid will come in and turn the music on ! Grrr. The young can't live with quiet, why I don't know.

As for this bloody Cali band, they do my head in. They're a real po faced lot who wouldn't know a good time if it fell on them out of the sky. I'm pretty liberal but there's only so much of the knit your own muesli gang I can stand. They just come in and start playing around 9.00. Me and my pal move to the room furthest away. I did say to one of them - " Do you like music ? " The guy said- " Of course ". I said - " Why do you play this racket then " ?

Just got back from long weekend in Grange just outside of Keswick. Supped a vast amount of fantastic beer, mainly Jennings. Surprising how much of a thirst you can get by doing a decent walk. My favourite was Cock a hoop (Jennings) but the Cumberland and Snecklifter were also good. Had some great food in a couple of pubs up there and a great chippy tea from the Old Keswickian chippy. I now need another few days off to recover!!

Just got back from long weekend in Grange just outside of Keswick. Supped a vast amount of fantastic beer, mainly Jennings. Surprising how much of a thirst you can get by doing a decent walk. My favourite was Cock a hoop (Jennings) but the Cumberland and Snecklifter were also good. Had some great food in a couple of pubs up there and a great chippy tea from the Old Keswickian chippy. I now need another few days off to recover!!

Made a mistake last week. Decided to take a few days off the beer - correctiion, wife decided I needed a few days off the beer. So took sunday to thursday off. Went down the club and had a few pints of a 6% beer. Lovely beer from two brewries (dark star / magic rock, who got together to make. Surprised how fast this beer hit me. I am used to strong beers these days, but a few days off - made a difference.

For ale drinkers coming to Brighton in January (I think that is when the match is one) The pub to head to - which allows both home and away supporters is the evening star, not from from the station. Sadly plastic glases on Police orders. They do have a website, which shows how to get there etc.

For ale drinkers coming to Brighton in January (I think that is when the match is one) The pub to head to - which allows both home and away supporters is the evening star, not from from the station. Sadly plastic glases on Police orders. They do have a website, which shows how to get there etc.

Depends if we/Brighton win the FA Cup 3rd round though.

Speaking of drinking .............. Christmas crackdown again as everybody expected by our erstwhile boys in blue. They are all over the place stopping motorists at random and brandishing their little black boxes in barely disguised glee. Roadblocks all over the place in the mornings as well as in the evenings. Hovever am I alone in thinking they are racist undertones here cos despite Plod going to great lengths to appear anti-racist I've never seen similar roadblocks along any of the 'Ranges'.

Speaking of drinking .............. Christmas crackdown again as everybody expected by our erstwhile boys in blue. They are all over the place stopping motorists at random and brandishing their little black boxes in barely disguised glee. Roadblocks all over the place in the mornings as well as in the evenings. Hovever am I alone in thinking they are racist undertones here cos despite Plod going to great lengths to appear anti-racist I've never seen similar roadblocks along any of the 'Ranges'.

Maybe those areas aren't populated by drinkers.

Speaking of drinking .............. Christmas crackdown again as everybody expected by our erstwhile boys in blue. They are all over the place stopping motorists at random and brandishing their little black boxes in barely disguised glee. Roadblocks all over the place in the mornings as well as in the evenings. Hovever am I alone in thinking t

hey are racist undertones here cos despite Plod going to great lengths to appear anti-racist I've never seen similar roadblocks along any of the 'Ranges'.

I was stopped 3 times last week. Same area (Hastings) Each time in the morning. It appeared they were targeting van drivers. Seems this year they are going for morning after the night before drinkers.

This thread has been a great read. I live in the midlands and frequent the ale pubs. Good local picks are Enville Ale, Banks's Sunbeam, Bathams Best Bitter, Holdens Golden Glow and Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby . There are a lot of Marstons pubs here now but not keen on much of their ale stable. Black Country Brewery Ales are not too bad though and are available more readily toward Birmingham. I'm currently away in Bath and can recommend both the Spa and Gem from Bath Ales.

Was drinking a nice ruby / dark beer last night in my club, called CRITICAL MASS 7.4% by Dark Star Brewing company.

I should add it was the cheapest (£2.60 a pint) Friday night out I have had for awhile. Fantastic beer, but strong. I must try it again tonight, just to make sure i liked it.

Archived