BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Real Ale

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4.6 is too strong for quaffing ? You must be a lightweight, or a southern softy.

Hey I live in the south (though blackburn born). Quite happy having beers of 5% or more. Currently at my club we have a beer called N.I.P.A BY ROTHER VALLEY BREWRY this is 5% - though it seems more like a 6% as it packs a punch.

Strangly I have come across some seasoned ale drinkers who often drink 5% plus beers on a session with no problems at all. But when they start drinking the IPA's as little as 3.8% such as HOPHEAD or 4% like youngs special they struggle. So often it is not the person who is light weight, but the beer and what is in it and how it is brewed.

Tory voter, which amounts to the same thing.

Anyone tried Arbor Ale, from Bristol. American Brown at 5.0 packs a punch.

Hick.

Yep I have tried it, not bad beer. As you say packs a punch.

Hey I live in the south (though blackburn born). Quite happy having beers of 5% or more. Currently at my club we have a beer called N.I.P.A BY ROTHER VALLEY BREWRY this is 5% - though it seems more like a 6% as it packs a punch.

Strangly I have come across some seasoned ale drinkers who often drink 5% plus beers on a session with no problems at all. But when they start drinking the IPA's as little as 3.8% such as HOPHEAD or 4% like youngs special they struggle. So often it is not the person who is light weight, but the beer and what is in it and how it is brewed.

Speed deceives. ;) 'Quaffing' in my speak is drinking quickly.

Lager wise Peroni is tops for me, and sooner have a couple of them than a case of most of the common lagers (carling, fosters etc...). Not keen on Stella either often has a strange taste.

Like a pint of IPA too, along with coniston bluebird from hawkshead (sold in booths)and most of the beers from the Keswick brewery sold in the dog and gun in Keswick (a legendary pub). Thirst Fall being a particular favourite.

Next Thursday I'm doing the Real Ale Rail Trail Pub Crawl.

Batley to Stayleybridge, 8 stops, each with a proper real ale pub either on the platform or just off it http://www.realaletrail.net/ It's been a popular "run" for years, but James May and Oz Clarke covering it on TV has now made it more popular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1FH076U4Lk

(7:15 onwards)

Had some superb craft ales in Seattle, went to the Pike Pub last night and a brill pint of IPA (6.3%).

The Washington State wines are also fantastic, visited a couple of wineries in the Columbia River area and the bags are well packed with a few bottles!

Well if I didn't care much for Carlsberg before, since the Euros I dont think I'll want to drink it ever again. It was the only option within the fanzones.

However Poland has some nice beers - preferred Zywiec over Tyskie but my favourites were Zubr and Lech Pils - which is only available in Poznan

Well if I didn't care much for Carlsberg before, since the Euros I dont think I'll want to drink it ever again. It was the only option within the fanzones.

However Poland has some nice beers - preferred Zywiec over Tyskie but my favourites were Zubr and Lech Pils - which is only available in Poznan

Get yerself to the Polksi Sklep on Market Street-they have got them all. And Bison Grass vodka too. Superb.

If you say so Tyrone. :rolleyes:

4.6 is too strong for quaffing ? You must be a lightweight, or a southern softy.

I suppose it all depends on your drinking style. I'll usually " quaff " the first one quite quickly, after that I take my time. Most nights I'll have three pints, some times I'll sneak another half or maybe a pint. I usually a drink a strongish lager. That's it for me then, I'm off home. The two places I drink at are 15 mins walk away.

Next Thursday I'm doing the Real Ale Rail Trail Pub Crawl.

Batley to Stayleybridge, 8 stops, each with a proper real ale pub either on the platform or just off it http://www.realaletrail.net/ It's been a popular "run" for years, but James May and Oz Clarke covering it on TV has now made it more popular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1FH076U4Lk

(7:15 onwards)

brilliant

I suppose it all depends on your drinking style. I'll usually " quaff " the first one quite quickly, after that I take my time. Most nights I'll have three pints, some times I'll sneak another half or maybe a pint.

3.5 pints......... And you have the cheek to call me a lightweight!!!

copied from a Whalley Wine shop email.......

"Bottled Real Ales. Although we don't advocate supermarket shopping we quite like EH Booths and their '60 Beers for 60 Years' Jubilee campaign supporting British bottled beers. It got us to counting how many different real ales we have in our range now. We currently stock 87 British real ales with lots of local ales including Saltaire Brewery real ales from Shipley which arrived in-store this week and Prospect Brewery Beers from Wigan which are arriving in-store next week! We also have Moorhouses 2 bottle gift packs, Bowland Brewery 3 bottle gift packs, and Bowland Brewery mini kegs too! Plus 28 different bottled ciders! You don't always have to go to a supermarket to get great choice."

Sorry about the delay in replying. Just got back from two weeks in Italy. Real Ales do not take to the bottle well. Come out too gassy. The only way to drink them is on draught. Preferably from a hand pump.

I drank Warsteiner in Italy. OK there as it was pushing 90F. Bloody hot.

Yeah that ale trail is great. Copper dragon at batley is superb but my favorite place is marsden. We always spend a bit of extra time there . If you walk into the village there are two more pubs that do cask and one of the best chippies that i have been too. Proper old fashioned and trust me fish chips and mushy peas hits the spot when you have been supping for a few hours!!

halves? big girl

Not when you are doing what he is doing. I often go around real ale pubs in my area and have half pint of what ever real ale they are selling in each pub. I come across new ones, different strengths and tastes. Before you now it you have 12 or so pints.

I hope to be going to Hastings beer festival next week and will drink half pints of different beers.

'If you want to get drunk quickly drink halves' is a definite truism. You need to test the theory Biddy.

How very true, I have been to the Munich Beer festival and found drinking out of 1 litre steins off putting while at the Cologne Festival you tend to get served in 200ml or 300 ml glasses, which on top of the quality of the beers on offer you always seem no more a minute from the next round. Fortunately with German beers you don't tend to get hangovers.

How very true, I have been to the Munich Beer festival and found drinking out of 1 litre steins off putting while at the Cologne Festival you tend to get served in 200ml or 300 ml glasses, which on top of the quality of the beers on offer you always seem no more a minute from the next round. Fortunately with German beers you don't tend to get hangovers.

I'd not necessarily go along with that hanks. I had a doozy the morning after deay 1 of the Koln Carnival. :(

A hangover is caused by dehydration of the brain which is a side effect of drinking alcohol. Whether any 'chemic' used in the brewing process worsens that effect I've no idea. Worst hangovers imo tend to be caused by drinking too much red wine.

I'd not necessarily go along with that hanks. I had a doozy the morning after deay 1 of the Koln Carnival. :(

A hangover is caused by dehydration of the brain which is a side effect of drinking alcohol. Whether any 'chemic' used in the brewing process worsens that effect I've no idea. Worst hangovers imo tend to be caused by drinking too much red wine.

I don't seem to get hangovers from real ale. Yet heard about others who do.

• 2 weeks later...

As you know I am a traditional beer drinker but yesterday afternoon whilst it was hot we were having a drink in the garden with some friends and I tried a Stella Cidre with ice and it was surprisingly good and refreshing. It's not going to take the place of bitter but I did enjoy trying one of the current fad of drinking. Fair do'es where they are deserved.

Archived