SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Real Ale

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pafell's just googling it as we speak...he will have all the stats shortly

I don't need to google it.

I mention beers I have tried - hard to do that on google.

I am a CAMRA member who goes to beer festivals - again very hard to do that on google. But is a way of trying new beers. Next one I am going to is the sussex beer festival. YOU can find find that on google - I've no need to, already got my ticket.

One of the clubs I work at goes through a minimum of 4 firkins of ale a week. No set club beer, so I get the opportunity to try many varieties. Quite possible I may use google one day, to search out new ones - once I have gone through the ones I already know about - long way to go yet.

Am I an expert - no, never would claim to be.

Bar work is something I am still learning. I must be doing something right, as both clubs I work for, approached me - because of my 'little' knowledge on beer. it is just a subject I seem to be learning fast about.

You chose to have a dig at me for no reason at all, I am quite happy for you to keep it up. But me, I will keep enjoying my beer.

You don't say. Christ, Pafell you don't half repeat yourself....most of it smells like bullshitt too.

It is quite possible I repeat myself on this subject as I am passionate about it. I am also aware that there are folk on here, who also like their ale or are considering drinking ale. I like to share the little I know on the subject with such folk. But I also like listening to other folk talking / posting on the subject. There are others on here, who know a lot more than i will ever do on the subject.

• Backroom

You will find pafell does not own a club. Keep up.

He repeats the same old internet researched Kean constantly. Makes for a Kean read.

Ok I'll rephrase. He works at a pub/club and is passionate about real ale.

Is that really so implausible to you? Sure he takes over the thread a bit but it's nice to see someone enjoying themselves. Plus it's gradually giving me more and more ales on my to-do list.

You don't say. Christ, Pafell you don't half repeat yourself....most of it smells like bullshitt too.

Pafell's just googling it as we speak...he will have all the stats shortly

Why do you bother? I'm sure nobody takes you seriously and you just end up making a fool of yourself.

Pafell is passionate about real ale, as am I, and I'm sure most ale drinkers appreciate his views on this subject.

Have you ever posted anything that is constructive or on topic?

Why do you bother? I'm sure nobody takes you seriously and you just end up making a fool of yourself.

Pafell is passionate about real ale, as am I, and I'm sure most ale drinkers appreciate his views on this subject.

Have you ever posted anything that is constructive or on topic?

I think Sparky marky is my pet troll. Others folk have dogs and cats and budgies, I ended up with him.

Be curious to know why you say that. I prefer drinking in a private club to a pub these days. Though I do work behind the bar at two - so that may influence me a bit.

I think Tyrone's problem is that it is nominally a Conservative Club and he is so biased that he would not drink there. Nobody takes any notice of the "Working Mens" or "Conservative" tags any more. They are all just clubs who charge less for their beer and are normally run on a non profit making basis by and for the members.

Nobody feels a compulsion to vote Tory because they are club members.

I think Tyrone's problem is that it is nominally a Conservative Club and he is so biased that he would not drink there. Nobody takes any notice of the "Working Mens" or "Conservative" tags any more. They are all just clubs who charge less for their beer and are normally run on a non profit making basis by and for the members.

Same as myself. One of the clubs I work at is an RAFA club. Where once you had to be in the RAF or ex-RAF. These days clubs realise they cannot keep going without allowing other folk in. With the real ale, we opened the door to CAMRA members and things kicked in from there. £2.60 a pint (cheap for the south) no matter the abv of the beer.

I will be there tomorrow, before catching the train to the Rovers match an hour away.

Ironically I was offered a job at my local tory club as head steward. But at that time I was not interested in bar work - just drinking.

My local is a 'Conny Club', and it is a very lively and enjoyable place to drink. Ale at £2.30 ish a pint makes it the cheapest, by some way, place to drink in the village. We changed chairman and his group over 5yrs ago when it was facing a real risk of closing. The new committee has introduced real ale, updated all the lighting, new flooring, air conditioning, new chairs and tables, bands on every Saturday, Poker nights every fortnight, 3 darts teams, 2 pool teams. 4 snooker teams, large screen live footy, and it's made a huge difference. The whole community has recognised the effort and it is by far the busiest and best place to go (locally).

I've not got a problem Al, I've got an opinion. It may not be your opinion. I'd rather pass my money indirectly to the Tory party via the landlords and brewers than give it directly to the Tories by drinking in a Con club.

My local is a 'Conny Club', and it is a very lively and enjoyable place to drink. Ale at £2.30 ish a pint makes it the cheapest, by some way, place to drink in the village. We changed chairman and his group over 5yrs ago when it was facing a real risk of closing. The new committee has introduced real ale, updated all the lighting, new flooring, air conditioning, new chairs and tables, bands on every Saturday, Poker nights every fortnight, 3 darts teams, 2 pool teams. 4 snooker teams, large screen live footy, and it's made a huge difference. The whole community has recognised the effort and it is by far the busiest and best place to go (locally).

Well done. We have an entry fee for none members £1.00, who have to signed in by a member. (insurance purposes) We are permitted 6 events per year to non members. So we have a beer festival, as well as various open days.

We opened the door to camra as previously said. This, I believe helped us get into the good beer guide - as well as the beers. Word of mouth etc did the rest. Getting into the good beer guide has increased folk coming to the club.

Members have just paid there annual fee and we were surprised it came to over 5 grand. So raising that before we even sell beer, is good. We still have folk applying for membership.

Clubs all the way for me. Pubs wise I actually prefer, what I term as natural pubs. No juke box, pool etc. Just beer and conversation - again easier in a club set up.

I've not got a problem Al, I've got an opinion. It may not be your opinion. I'd rather pass my money indirectly to the Tory party via the landlords and brewers than give it directly to the Tories by drinking in a Con club.

I think it possible that most the money going into a con or any other club, would be to keep the club going.

If you think any money goes from our club to the Tory Party you are delusional. We have hardly enough to keep the club running. Vote Labour by all means but don't let your politics rule your life. Life is too short.

Very fair comment with regards to weaker beers.. Came across a beer awhile ago called TRINITY, by REDEMPTION. Only 3%. But a stunning beer. Out of all the big brewers, I believe thwaites are ahead of the game. Correct me if I am wrong, but from memory, all thwaites beers are session beers. But wainwrights, smoothe, fine rain are good beers.

Anybody who treats 'Double Century' as a session beer asks for all they get! An ABV of 4.9% I believe with a taste like a 4.0%. 'Quaff' it and it'll kick like a mule!

Anybody who treats 'Double Century' as a session beer asks for all they get! An ABV of 4.9% I believe with a taste like a 4.0%. 'Quaff' it and it'll kick like a mule!

Sounds good to me. I am used to 5% plus beers. Must admit though, that is one beer I do not recall having before. Do you remember what their beer called Fine Rain was? That was a very nice beer.

Archived