BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League 2012/13

so in other words, Barca are not allowed to spend any money? my point was merely that majority of the sqaud is home grown players, who came through the ranks, and they are still producing players and slotting them in.

Barca should never have paid that much for both Cesc and Alexis Sanchez, and besides Cesc still came through La Masia but was let go at early stage.

You have to understand some people find Barcelona extremely dull to watch - if they are on TV I usually switch channels and watch something interesting such as Emmerdale for instance. If depends how you like to see the game played and I personally find their constant passing style an interminable bore. I'm not saying I don't appreciate that is technically very good and requires alot of skill and practice but I prefer teams such as United who can play a possession game when required but can also break at extreme pace and play wingers who risk losing the ball by taking on their opposing full backs. The Rovers championship winning team of 1995 was also a much more exciting team to watch than Barcelona because it had two fast running wingers and of course a top-class old-fashioned English centre forward to bang the goals in. Each to their own.

i appreciate that you might prefer a different style Jim, but to me its anything but boring. When Barca dont have the ball, they hunt in a pack, and when they get the ball off you, then its just as quick a movement to get into the opposition box. This happened against Milan at the Nou Camp. Their style of football is very much how the game should be played imo, as it frsutrates the opposition, makes them tired as they continuously have to chase the ball, and then ultimately something opens up and a goal is scored. Its much like the All Black rugby team, they will go through so many phases, patiently waiting on an opening and then take the gap and score a try. For me its intruiging stuff, as it asks so many questions of the opposition and how they will play the next move. Imo, its quality football but still sublime attacking play.

Barça tend to make one or two big signings a summer, with the rest being home grown. The point is, they have not thrown millions and millions at a team to take them from also rans to contenders. They have become the best in the World by nurturing their own, never compromising their own style and adding small pieces when needed. The fact is they have to spend big money to get players from outside remotely capable of living with the home grown ones emphasises the strength of the system. If you look at what they've spent compared to Madrid there's no comparison.

Don't forget as well, the season Villa and Ibra signed, Eto'o, Toure and Chygrynskiy went out for a combined £64m. The season Mascherano was signed Ibra left for £24m. When Sanchez and Cesc signed, Bojan, Caceres and Romeu left for £18m. The net spend is nowhere near as great as the half story posted above makes out.

As far as "apologists" goes, I'm not sure that's the best choice of word. We're all supposed to be fans of football, and Barça have been consistently producing the best brand of football for the past few years. It's actually very odd the amount of football fans who go out of their way to hate them.

well they are the exact opposite of Madrid, yet people are so fixated with Madrid. Not sure if its just because of Ronaldo, but how anybody can like that team, im not so sure. They spend millions and millions every season, on just about anybody that moves, yet, ive not really seen a young lad from their academy come through in the last few years and more. Unless of course ive missed it.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to understand some people find Barcelona extremely dull to watch - if they are on TV I usually switch channels and watch something interesting such as Emmerdale for instance. If depends how you like to see the game played and I personally find their constant passing style an interminable bore. I'm not saying I don't appreciate that is technically very good and requires alot of skill and practice but I prefer teams such as United who can play a possession game when required but can also break at extreme pace and play wingers who risk losing the ball by taking on their opposing full backs. The Rovers championship winning team of 1995 was also a much more exciting team to watch than Barcelona because it had two fast running wingers and of course a top-class old-fashioned English centre forward to bang the goals in. Each to their own.

I really enjoy watching the Barça style, but can understand what you're saying. They could definitely do with a bit more pace in attack at times in the way you mention. They are great to watch unless the opposition sit deep, that's when it can become hard work. I watch every Barça game and often find myself screaming at them to have a shot or two from range in order to draw the defenders out a little and create some space.

When it works, their style is great, when it doesn't it can be frustrating. At their best, for example the second leg against Milan, there's no other team that even comes close.

I think they're fun to watch when they're ripping apart a second-rate team, but not so good in tighter games against the top sides, when they're more cautious. I can't understand how a team can have 75% possession but still only win 1-0. They're the football equivalent of a really good technical boxer who always wins on points - admirable, sure, but not as exciting as watching a knockout artist.

Here's an interesting article about the best football academies, as rated by the number of players playing top flight football. Maybe if teams like Ajax or Sporting Lisbon could afford to pay the sort of wages that Barcelona can, they'd have an amazing team full of homegrown players instead of having to sell them to balance the books.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/best-academy-europe-094426548.html

They have become the best in the World

You reckon?

I think if Bayern Munich make at least the final this year then they can claim to be the best right now as that would be two finals in a row. Barca have got some way to go to separate themselves as the best in the world yet.

Absolutely I do. Getting to the semis the last 5 years in a row, and 6 out of the last 7, including winning 3, confirms that for me. Bayern are very strong right now, but they can't rival that record.

Until someone plays them and beats them on merit, rather than the odd team parking the bus and sneaking a one goal win, Barça will be the incumbents.

I really enjoy watching the Barça style, but can understand what you're saying. They could definitely do with a bit more pace in attack at times in the way you mention. They are great to watch unless the opposition sit deep, that's when it can become hard work. I watch every Barça game and often find myself screaming at them to have a shot or two from range in order to draw the defenders out a little and create some space.

When it works, their style is great, when it doesn't it can be frustrating. At their best, for example the second leg against Milan, there's no other team that even comes close.

Waste of time them signing pacy players. They spend most of the 90 mins playing that tiki taka football around the oppositions pen area. Speed i.e. pace over more than 5 yards is unecessary. The test for all this fawning hero worship will come when Messi goes. He is the only reason that I might watch Barca for and without him the world will lose a lot of interest.

They don't need to sign pacy players Gordon. Pedro, Alexis and Tello are as fast as just about any player you could care to mention. There are occasions when they attack at pace, Alba's goal against Milan is a prime example of their ability to do so. But of course counter attacking is only possible if you surrender possession.

• Moderation Lead

we all have opinions t4e, i dont rate xavi, you do, doesnt make me wrong not to rate him, i didnt rate roy keane at first but then i realised what a vital player he is to man utd, xavi is yet to convince me he is anything other than a glorified david batty!!!

The bit you said about sideways passing could probably be applied to Carrick or Cleverley to a lesser extent, but certainly not Xavi....

I've got to assume the highlighted part is a joke!!!!

UEFA Cup night.....FC Basle.... Brad in't nets...... @#/? thick Indian @#/?s! :angry2:

Hmm. Didn't Friedel leave under the Trust?

Edit: Don't know why I posed that as a question, just realised it was under Ince. That feels like a bloody decade ago!

I'm assuming you know that already so I'm failing to see your point at the moment theno?

I applied for final tickets and didn't get them :( Any combination of those four would be ace. I'm going for a Bayern vs Real Madrid final.

Was reading before that 200,000 Bayern fans have applied for the non-season ticket holder tickets (about 15,000) - people going to be disappointed!

• Moderation Lead

I applied for final tickets and didn't get them :( Any combination of those four would be ace. I'm going for a Bayern vs Real Madrid final.

Was reading before that 200,000 Bayern fans have applied for the non-season ticket holder tickets (about 15,000) - people going to be disappointed!

I'd love that for a final, two European dynasties, Real going for a 10th European cup!!

• Moderation Lead

Of course you would, you Barça hating pooface!

Who me?? :blink:

Haha, I don't actually hate Barca, I just think another CL winners' medal for Mourinho would be a fitting end as he's fairly likely to leave there at the end of the season.

Yeah yeah, keep drinking the haterade ;)

Albert Ferrer on tonight's La Liga coverage has just been talking about what a great player Rochina is and that Zaragoza should bring him on.

• Moderation Lead

Not quite Champions League, but watching Juventus vs Lazio in Serie A, Juventus looking superb.

Ferguson dropped a bollock in letting Pogba go massively, not to mention not using him last season!!

Archived