BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers appoint new head scout

LET says "Clarke, who turns 60 later this month, arrives at Rovers with the sole objective of helping the club to secure an immediate Premier League return."

Perfect timing then, just after the window closes.

The article doesn't mention the previous head scout, does that mean we didn't have one (other than Kean's mum with a Portugese phone book)?

I wonder if you could give us a brief resume of your career in the game, A Cup Of Beans, I'm anticipating it must be most impressive?

So.. Meadows. I take it you had heard of Ray Clarke before todays LET article ? :huh:

Course you have! :wstu: He has a tini Wiki page.. so I'm hoping you can fill me in on his resume!

He's not Scottish. That has surprised me (given the recent coaching appointments).

I have actually, I'm old enough to remember that football didn't begin in 1992 and I remember him as a player

Thankfully, I too am old enough to remember when football was football too!

Not interested in him as a player. He's a nobody scout! Looking at who Celtic, Portsmouth and Boro bought while he was there will show that!

If you disagree with that, then maybe we have for once made a fantastic appointment! :unsure:

Thankfully, I too am old enough to remember when football was football too!

Not interested in him as a player. He's a nobody scout! Looking at who Celtic, Portsmouth and Boro bought while he was there will show that!

If you disagree with that, then maybe we have for once made a fantastic appointment! :unsure:

Perhaps you can give us all a rundown of the top ten scouts in league football as your knowledge of the game must be breathtaking? Could you also provide a list of those players which he was instrumental in recruiting.

Anyone aware of any jewels uncovered in previous roles ?

Based upon what I know, IMO, another uninspiring appointment.

Would have been impressed if Graham Carr had been snared from Newcastle - now that is a guy with a real track record and who knows what the feck he is doing.

Another Nobody! Wonder if he's Scottish ?

He's just a scout, what makes you think he should be a 'sombody'(whatever the F that is!), Who are you expecting to be head scout at championship blackburn rovers?, Seriously what a cynical and depressing forum this has become, Yes Steve Kean is Scum, Yes there are other things very wrong with the club, but there are still some things to be positive about and just criticising every single change that's made at the club is just plane ignorant.

And as a previous poster mentioned, how many other scouts do you know by name and reputation(without googling it!)?

He's just a scout, what makes you think he should be a 'sombody'(whatever the F that is!), Who are you expecting to be head scout at championship blackburn rovers?, Seriously what a cynical and depressing forum this has become, Yes Steve Kean is Scum, Yes there are other things very wrong with the club, but there are still some things to be positive about and just criticising every single change that's made at the club is just plane ignorant.

+1

So.. Meadows. I take it you had heard of Ray Clarke before todays LET article ? :huh:

Course you have! :wstu: He has a tini Wiki page.. so I'm hoping you can fill me in on his resume!

He's not Scottish. That has surprised me (given the recent coaching appointments).

I don't know about Wiki but he did have a pretty decent playing career including successful spells in Holland and Belgium. Both Brighton and Newcastle paid big fees for him before injury ended his career. His scouting career seems impressive and he's worked for some decent managers. Personally, I think this looks a pretty good appointment.

+1

Another +1

I haven't heard of any chief scouts. Until reading this article.

To say this another nothing appointment etc. is a nonsense. It seems people just use any news coming out of the club, significant or otherwise, as another opportunity to pile on the misery.

This place is depressing enough without the unwarranted negativity.

Anyone aware of any jewels uncovered in previous roles ?

Celtic signed Nakamura in his tenure....one of the best strikers of a dead ball in recent times and an all-round really good player.....that alone means I am optimistic about this appointment.

Strachan wasn't fully in control of transfers and it was shared out between a few people so he had quite a say in matters.....although nobody knows for sure about which signings were recommended by who.

Other foreign players signed in his time at Celtic that were successful were Andreas Hinkel, former German International who was a good player, Vennegoor of Hesselink who was a good target man and was a useful addition, Maciej Zurawski who was great in his first season and Artur Boruc who was a quality goalkeeper.

He might have been involved in domestic signings as well.....Strachan's time was better than O'Neill's on the whole in terms of successful signings.

Whoever offered the contract to Mr. Clarke, I hope that he at least gets a chance to offer his opinions as head scout about player X, Y or Z, and isn't just ignored or bypassed by Shabby, Anderson, Tony Ferinho or whoever else wants to claim a bit of money off Venky's that day.Don't know if he is any good, but any properly functioning club would have him looking at players rather than some agent or obscure board member.

I'm not sure one can have an important debate based entirely on a presumption that has no supporting evidence whatsoever at this stage.

Nice one - of course, considering the Celtic link it must have been Shebby who appointed him.

Anyway, I should be able to find out some info later today on the recent going ons so will find out for myself.

I'm not sure one can have an important debate based entirely on a presumption that has no supporting evidence whatsoever at this stage.

No supporting evidence that Kean's job is secure?

I think I've heard it all now.

However, I think the bickering on here is symptomatic of a lot of threads now particularly when there is some potentially positive news. People simply want to see the back of Kean and cannot "move on" - like the club want us all to - until he is gone.

If Kean had been replaced by a competent manager with a true clean slate then I'm sure this kind of appointment would be welcomed with fresh optimism.

Until Kean is gone there can be no clean start - what's needed is a clean break. We, apparently, have £8m to gamble on a League One striker coming good in the Championship but we won't pay off Kean and get a replacement. I said a long time ago I believe he has a stupid pay off clause (e.g. £50m). Barring any other conspiracy theories out there it's still the only way I make sense of it - but even then his behaviour away from Ewood must surely have given them an opportunity to say he is bringing the club into disrepute...

Kean Out

Archived