BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Truth of The Situation

TBTF

The similarity with 1960 IS spooky. It was a mass revolt against the sleighting of the Rovers supporters(cannot say true anymore) and the next season was like a morgue at Ewood. We never recovered until 1975 briefly and then 1989 at the Full Members Cup Final. If the non-renewers do not come back when(not if) Keano is sacked(or Contract not renewed) we will have gone back years.

If you were the BR Ticket Manager would you have extra staff on 'standby' ready for the first day(AD -after dismissal) rush?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Attendance stats here so no exaggerations can be made

http://www.european-...tnclub/blar.htm

This season is looking like matchin 92's average when we had the old stadium

and the parallels between now and the attendance drop in 1960 is alarming

What a great site. Bookmarked that one.

The similarity with 1960 IS spooky. It was a mass revolt against the sleighting of the Rovers supporters(cannot say true anymore) and the next season was like a morgue at Ewood. We never recovered until 1975 briefly and then 1989 at the Full Members Cup Final. If the non-renewers do not come back when(not if) Keano is sacked(or Contract not renewed) we will have gone back years.

If you were the BR Ticket Manager would you have extra staff on 'standby' ready for the first day(AD -after dismissal) rush?

I had always heard the stories of the 1960 cup final ticket problems, but until blue and white army posted the link above, I didn't know exactly how it affected attendances. 6000 drop in sales is scarily like what we're seeing now. The thing with the 1960 "scandal", is that there was a contributory factor of rovers form having dropped away completely - resulting in a 17th place final league position. So how much of that 6000 loss was because of the ticket situation and how much was because of the teams form, I don't know.

What a great site. Bookmarked that one.

I had always heard the stories of the 1960 cup final ticket problems, but until blue and white army posted the link above, I didn't know exactly how it affected attendances. 6000 drop in sales is scarily like what we're seeing now. The thing with the 1960 "scandal", is that there was a contributory factor of rovers form having dropped away completely - resulting in a 17th place final league position. So how much of that 6000 loss was because of the ticket situation and how much was because of the teams form, I don't know.

It was mainly the cup final ticket allocations where even season ticket holders couldnt get tickets, I was on Maine Road for the Semi Final v Sheffield Wednesday, Peter Swan of Wednesday (England) was the Centre Half that day and Dougan destroyed him with a brilliant display and he scored both goals

I agree, and my initial point was that the original post, and in turn this thread, is just a regurgitation of the last 18 months. Why do people just post the same sh!t every day? We're not even allowed to enjoy victories anymore, even if we are aware of all the club's troubles at the same time.

UooepeyePathetically, my last statement is now the "alternative" view, as ridiculous as that is.

Yes you're right, I used to hate the same stuff being posted by the same people over and over again, but now I'm as guilty as anyone.

What's the alternative though?the disconcerting voice shut up until anything new develops? I don't have the answer, so I keep repeating my anti Kean sentiments......but I will try to keep those off the Recent match threads.

The experience of the1960 debacle has to be knocked into Venky's heads one way or another.

Shebby is supping from an incredibly short straw in terms of having any chance of rescuing the Rovers from three decades of c10,000 crowds.

I think we have already lost one generation of supporters

The experience of the1960 debacle has to be knocked into Venky's heads one way or another.

Shebby is supping from an incredibly short straw in terms of having any chance of rescuing the Rovers from three decades of c10,000 crowds.

I was thinking about this recently. The main criticism directed towards those who purchased STs / walk on is we are financially supporting the owners who are the root cause of Rovers problems.

We know Kean's history and I want him gone as much as the next man. What I don't understand is the arguement put forward that thousands will return when Kean is sacked.

Our fundamental problem is the owners who have proved themselves incompetent, misled the support, dismissed an experienced management, overseen relegation etc. Apparently buying a ticket demonstrates support for these owners.

Yet boycotters argue thousands will return when Kean leaves? I don't understand this. If the manager is sacked it suddenly becomes acceptable to support the family who have destroyed the club?

Where's the moral high ground in that? If the boycotters don't support Kean how can they support the ownership which is equally, if not more so, bad?

As far as I can see there is no road back for the boycotters till Venkys leave - bh which time it could be too late.

I dont know if I would be classed as a boycotter or a dissatisfied customer.

I just know that after years of following Rovers the enjoyment was gone and Kean became the catalist to me staying away.

There is a strong possibility that Kean / Venky have become the excuse for many more dissatisfied customers not going to Ewood.

The major problem now as I see it, that those stay aways have / are finding alternate activeties for their leisure time and the longer that Kean remains as an excuse for not attending the more opportunities for the stay aways to source alternative leisure time activeties.

I would hazard a guess that only 50% of the stay aways will return if Kean is sacked and the remainder might drift back if the team play entertaining football and stay in the play off zone around Chrismas time.

Think you're right there Alan. If 50% return it will be a good result for Rovers. I don't think it will be that number.

I use boycotters in a general way, people have lots of different reasons for not going.

I dont know if I would be classed as a boycotter or a dissatisfied customer.

I just know that after years of following Rovers the enjoyment was gone and Kean became the catalist to me staying away.

There is a strong possibility that Kean / Venky have become the excuse for many more dissatisfied customers not going to Ewood.

The major problem now as I see it, that those stay aways have / are finding alternate activeties for their leisure time and the longer that Kean remains as an excuse for not attending the more opportunities for the stay aways to source alternative leisure time activeties.

I would hazard a guess that only 50% of the stay aways will return if Kean is sacked and the remainder might drift back if the team play entertaining football and stay in the play off zone around Chrismas time.

Summed it up quite well there alan! I didnt even watch the match friday, even though my father did, but said it was awful. If venkys get rid of kean, i can be sure a lot of fans will turn their heads back to ewood, then its up to the owners to sort out proper management structure at the club and that includes the removal of Shebby or personal friends to run the business the way it should be. Hopefully Glen's letter to the owners will make them act fast and sooner rather than later

I was thinking about this recently. The main criticism directed towards those who purchased STs / walk on is we are financially supporting the owners who are the root cause of Rovers problems.

We know Kean's history and I want him gone as much as the next man. What I don't understand is the arguement put forward that thousands will return when Kean is sacked.

Our fundamental problem is the owners who have proved themselves incompetent, misled the support, dismissed an experienced management, overseen relegation etc. Apparently buying a ticket demonstrates support for these owners.

Yet boycotters argue thousands will return when Kean leaves? I don't understand this. If the manager is sacked it suddenly becomes acceptable to support the family who have destroyed the club?

Where's the moral high ground in that? If the boycotters don't support Kean how can they support the ownership which is equally, if not more so, bad?

As far as I can see there is no road back for the boycotters till Venkys leave - bh which time it could be too late.

Hence why I've never taken a Venky's out stance. don't get me wrong - i want them gone too, but I've always felt that it is almost impossible to get rid of owners - they bought the club, however they financed it and can please themselves when or if to sell unless forced out by the bank etc. However, loads of clubs have owners the fans don't like but they manage to support their team because they trust/respect/like/can tolerate the manager. I don't think I'd buy a season ticket this season now, as I've missed all home games so far and am set, for various reasons, to miss a fair few more, but I would look at attending as many matches as possible once Kean is gone. I don't want to support the owners whilst they employ Kean, but my boycott is not only to do with not wanting Venkys to have my cash, but knowing that anything I put into the club helps in some small way to keep him in his job at the moment. I don't support venkys ownership of the club, but can't see a way of changing that. I don't support Kean and can see that boycotting just might, slowly but surely be changing things there.

Hence why I've never taken a Venky's out stance. don't get me wrong - i want them gone too, but I've always felt that it is almost impossible to get rid of owners - they bought the club, however they financed it and can please themselves when or if to sell unless forced out by the bank etc. However, loads of clubs have owners the fans don't like but they manage to support their team because they trust/respect/like/can tolerate the manager. I don't think I'd buy a season ticket this season now, as I've missed all home games so far and am set, for various reasons, to miss a fair few more, but I would look at attending as many matches as possible once Kean is gone. I don't want to support the owners whilst they employ Kean, but my boycott is not only to do with not wanting Venkys to have my cash, but knowing that anything I put into the club helps in some small way to keep him in his job at the moment. I don't support venkys ownership of the club, but can't see a way of changing that. I don't support Kean and can see that boycotting just might, slowly but surely be changing things there.

Sounds like you're making a case for keeping people away post-Kean or saying they might as well come back now if that's their view. I guess the latter.

However, much like you can divide Kean from The (his) Team, I can divorce Kean and Venkys.

For me, our best chance of returning to being a top flight club (barring an extremely unlikely Middle Eastern style megabucks takeover) is through Venkys becoming interested in making us successful and taking the right advice.

I'm sure many people would view Kean's continued tenure as proof that Venkys don't care or aren't interested in the club or the fans.

If they replace Kean (with a decent, credible manager) then it may mean they are taking it more seriously or at least are taking advice from different people. It may be seen as a fresh start.

The wounds will still take a long time to heal and Venkys will need to mend bridges but at least ridding us of the inept one would be a start.

When Venkys go, I fear at worst a Pompey style takeover and destruction, or at best as an Accrington Stanley type club run by fans in the lower reaches of the Football League. 25,000 fans paying £500+ for a ST may help us compete but that's not likely to be within the means of our fanbase.

However, much like you can divide Kean from The (his) Team, I can divorce Kean and Venkys.

I'd agree with a lot of Stuart's post but have just picked out this bit. You're right Paul that there's no way all ex-ST holders will come back, probably ever. With Venky's at the helm (I use the term loosely) I can entirely see why some folk wouldn't want to either. But I'd see the replacement of Kean by somebody competent as enough of a gesture to give them a chance. Admittedly in many ways they wouldn't have earnt that but it'd be enough for me - for a while. If things continue in the way they've treated us for the first 18 months I won't hang about but take their responsibilities seriously and my custom will continue.

They're starting to make the right noises now, what's needed is some action.

For me, our best chance of returning to being a top flight club (barring an extremely unlikely Middle Eastern style megabucks takeover) is through Venkys becoming interested in making us successful and taking the right advice.

I'm sure many people would view Kean's continued tenure as proof that Venkys don't care or aren't interested in the club or the fans.

If they replace Kean (with a decent, credible manager) then it may mean they are taking it more seriously or at least are taking advice from different people. It may be seen as a fresh start.

The wounds will still take a long time to heal and Venkys will need to mend bridges but at least ridding us of the inept one would be a start.

That's exactly how I see it Stuart.

Sounds like you're making a case for keeping people away post-Kean or saying they might as well come back now if that's their view. I guess the latter.

When Venkys go, I fear at worst a Pompey style takeover and destruction, or at best as an Accrington Stanley type club run by fans in the lower reaches of the Football League. 25,000 fans paying £500+ for a ST may help us compete but that's not likely to be within the means of our fanbase.

What he said...

Archived