BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Laudrup was sacked because Swansea are two points off the drop zone. If Rovers were owned by the Trust and in a similar position I would imagine the club CEO might consider the same move.

Really. You've done the trust no favours with that statement.

That's panicking on a greater scale than Venky's ever did.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know the Swansea position. Rovers Trust has always said a management team would be appointed to run the club. The fans would own the club NOT run it.

If the appointed management, CEO etc. felt the manager should've sacked that would presumably be his decision. I've no doubt the CEO would want to consult with shareholders first.

The trust members elect the trust board to make decisions. Sacking the manager would not go to a fan ballot as nothing would ever get done.

To be honest Abbey I can't help but feel you have misunderstood the way fan ownership through a trust works.

I always though a competent board would be put in place and left to run the club, without having to consult the Trust board? So effectively the Trust board would have final say on hiring and firing etc?

Really. You've done the trust no favours with that statement.

That's panicking on a greater scale than Venky's ever did.

I think your missing the words "imagine" might" and "consider"

I always though a competent board would be put in place and left to run the club, without having to consult the Trust board? So effectively the Trust board would have final say on hiring and firing etc?

That is not what I wrote - the bit about the trust hiring and firing. The Trust have always said as you wrote "a competent board would be put in place to run the club" that is football professionals.

The trust board is elected to make decisions, that would include appointing professionals to run the club, therefore there wouldn't be member ballots on management decidions.

That is not what I wrote - the bit about the trust hiring and firing. The Trust have always said as you wrote "a competent board would be put in place to run the club" that is football professionals. The trust board is elected to make decisions, that would include appointing professionals to run the club, therefore there wouldn't be member ballots on management decidions.

Ahh sorry Paul, it's just the way it reads so to clarify, where you write "Laudrup was sacked because Swansea are two points off the drop zone. If Rovers were owned by the Trust and in a similar position I would imagine the club CEO might consider the same move"

In the unlikely event that this scenario arose could the appointed CEO make the decision to sack the manager without authorisation from the Trust Board and should there be a difference of opinions and either the CEO or Trust wanted to sack the manager and the other didn't who would have the final say on the matter?.

I don't know the Swansea position. Rovers Trust has always said a management team would be appointed to run the club. The fans would own the club NOT run it.

If the appointed management, CEO etc. felt the manager should've sacked that would presumably be his decision. I've no doubt the CEO would want to consult with shareholders first.

The trust members elect the trust board to make decisions. Sacking the manager would not go to a fan ballot as nothing would ever get done.

To be honest Abbey I can't help but feel you have misunderstood the way fan ownership through a trust works.

Can't help but think this is the realms of fantasy for now at the very least.Under what circumstances could the Trust be in a position of such financial strength as to become the dominant party in a purchase? ie to such an extent that they would be doing any hiring and firing?

I can envisage them being a Voice (and i believe a necessary voice) but where are the millions of pounds of working capital coming from let alone the money muscle to be the preferred bidder?

I would love it if they could but i am struggling to see it-sorry to party poop.

Ahh sorry Paul, it's just the way it reads so to clarify, where you write "Laudrup was sacked because Swansea are two points off the drop zone. If Rovers were owned by the Trust and in a similar position I would imagine the club CEO might consider the same move"

In the unlikely event that this scenario arose could the appointed CEO make the decision to sack the manager without authorisation from the Trust Board and should there be a difference of opinions and either the CEO or Trust wanted to sack the manager and the other didn't who would have the final say on the matter?.

Not something we have ever discussed, but I suppose it would depend on how much of a stake the Trust owns. If it was say 90%+ then I guess the Trust would have the final say, just like Abramovich would at Chelsea for example. But if we had a smaller share, like Swansea who have around 20% then the Trust representative on the board would carry our vote at any EGM convened to discuss the managers position.

The Swans Trust backed the sacking of Laudrup.

Ahh sorry Paul, it's just the way it reads?. [/font][/color]

Yes I see what you mean. I could have phrased it better. Just to be 100% on this the Trust would not run the football club. The Trust has a board elected by its members. If the Trust owned or part owned the club it would influence the appointment of competent football professionals to run the club. That has always been the position.

I'm not privy to how any club works but I imagine that owners and CEOs, directors work closely together. If any club has one win in ten, taking 6 points from 30, and is two points off the drop zone I'd suggest the owners and directors would be considering the manager's position.

If Rovers were 12th on the PL we would all be delighted PLUS 50% would be looking down the table and 50% would be looking up!!! We all know that's true.

It's just my opinion I'm not a Trust board member, I simply pay my subs like everyone else.

So you pays ya dosh and don't have a vote in big decisions? Or am I wrong?

Members of a trust, in particular football club trusts, own a share in the club via the trust. Each member votes to elect the trust board which runs the trust, which in turn owns or part owns the club, for a year.

At the AGM every board member stands for election. Any member can stand for election. So if the membership don't agree with how the trust board run the trust they wold not be re elected.

This is how, in principle, the vast majority of institutions be they clubs, businesses, trusts, charities or whatever are run. It's the democratic system used in this country.

In an operational sense trusts operate in the same manner as any other institution.

If that isn't clear for you Abbey ask away.

Also, does it not seem that Laudrup was sacked for other reasons than Swansea's league position or form?

I read, possibly between the lines, that there was an issue of medium or long term commitment to the club that Laudrup was not prepared to give leading to a breakdown in faith in the manager by the chairman.

As he said, it's the first time in 10 years Swansea have been in the posiiton of sacking a manager.

If the Trust owned a stake in Rovers, majority or otherwise, I think most fans would want us to be the kind of owners who did not sack managers willy nilly.

But, football has become increasingly short-termist. Young managers who once would have spent years gaining experience in lower leagues before landing a Division 1 or 2 job, now get thrust into those jobs after a season or less at Brighton or wherever.

With more structure and qualificatons in place now, perhaps it will become possible to appoint a coaching team who can be given the time and space to develop a long-term philosophy for the club.

The Trust would be ideally placed to get fellow fans to buy into a plan like that I would think.

With regards to the owners and the trust, have the trust received any acknowledgement directly from Desai that she recieved the stuff sent over , or has she been back in touch?

Just wondered because its alright Shelfy saying she got it , but we know how forgetful Shelfy is with paperwork, fax machines , agents etc.

Also, does it not seem that Laudrup was sacked for other reasons than Swansea's league position or form?

I read, possibly between the lines, that there was an issue of medium or long term commitment to the club that Laudrup was not prepared to give leading to a breakdown in faith in the manager by the chairman.

Which seems to be what stopped him getting the gig here in 2008. So naturally, Paul 'The Guv'nor' Ince was the next best alternative. :blink:

With regards to the owners and the trust, have the trust received any acknowledgement directly from Desai that she recieved the stuff sent over , or has she been back in touch?

Just wondered because its alright Shelfy saying she got it , but we know how forgetful Shelfy is with paperwork, fax machines , agents etc.

As far as I am aware, there has still been no direct contact between any of the owners and the Trust. We continue to talk with senior management based in Blackburn.

As far as I am aware, there has still been no direct contact between any of the owners and the Trust. We continue to talk with senior management based in Blackburn.

what about? not meant to sound rude but if senior management is basically Derek Shaw, where is that getting anybody to?He couldnt influence tomorrow's lunch menu?

Just seems more and more like Venkys have retreated into their bunker never to emerge again.Is there still no ndication from ''senior management '' what the plan is?

The manager works for the football club not the Trust. If a sacked manager wants to go to court then he would be sueing the club.

Why I don't know but there are people who think a trust owning a business is different from any other form of enterprise. It isn't. For 138 years the club has been responsible for its debts, employees etc. if the Trust owned the club it would remain exactly the same.

Shareholders own a business and profit or not according to the business' performance but are not otherwise responsible. Trust members would be shareholders with all the risks that involves.

To give a well known example. I'm a Lloyd's bank shareholder (laughs) and Lloyd's has set aside £10 billion to cover PPI miss selling. The bank is sued not me, I just suffer via the share price.

Ground share if we go tits up.

Archived