BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fitness and Training

Silencio

Has anyone any news of changes made by Berg at the training ground? There were stories of players choosing training times and only training 60-90 minutes a day under Kean and it was clear something was wrong with the training when a game came around.

With us playing better on Saturday I am guessing Berg has made some changes. Would be interested to know if that's the case...

It's not as simple as breasting them until they get fit sadly. Preseason is the time to do that. Asses each player individual, v02 max, speed, agility, strength, stamina, pre hab/structural balance when the calendar is quiet and games are meaningless. If you start implementing strenuous work in the middle of a beast of a season then you will see your athletes breaking down... Sprinters train like mad to peak for their race, sometimes they get it wrong and peak afterwards. It looks to me that whoever has been looking after the strength, fitness & conditioning have been massively under utilised in pre-season. I'm not saying its impossible to improvevthevsquads fitness, of course it is. But it's not as simple as you'd like to think.

It's incredible such an important part of the game was over looked really. Especially when we aren't exactly loaded with technically gifted players.

Not "breasting".. Beasting* ha ha

You can easily boost aerobic fitness levels mid-season without beasting them. Everyone can do sprint interval training at the end of sessions with all the math done for distances etc. Hit them when they're low (blood sugar) to get a bigger AMPK release and only allow them to drink water during the training prior. Pure High intensity training all the time and adjust the timing and number of sessions as needed to peak each week, experimenting and an individual approach would evetually reveal the right methods for each individual. Do this at the start of the week say monday and tuesday or even wednesday (days off dependent). Structure training so half-lifes are considered and have rest in between sessions and do other work during this time IE tactical and DVD stuff. The british cycling team averages 35 hours a week training (track/gym etc), Rovers around 6-7 hours, they can easily do more with a slowly slowly approach and the right rest/nutrition at the right times etc etc. It's all about getting in and out quickly in the main at football clubs and that combined with their shocking approach to aspects like psychology and nutrution and it's little wonder people say you can't boost it mid-season. It can be done, do Rovers have the knowledge and expertise to do it?

Highly doubtful.

You can easily boost aerobic fitness levels mid-season without beasting them. Everyone can do sprint interval training at the end of sessions with all the math done for distances etc. Hit them when they're low (blood sugar) to get a bigger AMPK release and only allow them to drink water during the training prior. Pure High intensity training all the time and adjust the timing and number of sessions as needed to peak each week, experimenting and an individual approach would evetually reveal the right methods for each individual. Do this at the start of the week say monday and tuesday or even wednesday (days off dependent). Structure training so half-lifes are considered and have rest in between sessions and do other work during this time IE tactical and DVD stuff. The british cycling team averages 35 hours a week training (track/gym etc), Rovers around 6-7 hours, they can easily do more with a slowly slowly approach and the right rest/nutrition at the right times etc etc. It's all about getting in and out quickly in the main at football clubs and that combined with their shocking approach to aspects like psychology and nutrution and it's little wonder people say you can't boost it mid-season. It can be done, do Rovers have the knowledge and expertise to do it?

Highly doubtful.

Fitness was the first thing Hughes and his coaches did at Rovers, followed by working on the defense. If Berg concentrates on those and surrounds himself with, & utilises, top coaches we'll do fine this season.

Whilst I agree much more work is needed on the fitness side of things, there's simply no excuse whatsoever for players to be overweight or unfit when they are taking home the pay packet they are. It's not hard to look after yourself without a coach looking over you all the time......

Whilst I agree much more work is needed on the fitness side of things, there's simply no excuse whatsoever for players to be overweight or unfit when they are taking home the pay packet they are. It's not hard to look after yourself without a coach looking over you all the time......

I think there's a big difference between being fit, and being really fit, especially in professional sport.

I said on Saturday to my mate when robbo retrieved a ball from near the corner flag , with his love handles and little bald patch that he resembled Neville Southhall .

Another rumour I heard was Berg had them in the gym one day last week doing fitness tests and was said to shocked at the poor levels of fitness . Like I say no idea if true,

I think there's a big difference between being fit, and being really fit, especially in professional sport.

I realise that, but to have players that are physically flabby is unacceptable and they have to account for some of the blame! There is no 2 ways about it, a flabby goalkeeper is not as agile as he could be. Don't get me wrong I do like Robbo and he's not the only one.

Archived