BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

I have a very dear friend indeed, however he is a Leeds. He believes that Luciano Becchio is an all round more complete player than our very own Jordan Rhodes. This debate is causing certain strains in our relationship and I was wondering if you Blackburn hombres have got my back and agree that Becchio is the @#/?-faced @#/? up toothed @#/? that he is.

Not seen Becchio that much, but he strikes me a bit like Roque when he was on form. Probably a better all round player, but all things being equal I rate Rhodes as the better goal scorer. Rhodes has had to get his goals from scraps this year, and I expect a Neil Warnock side can create chances for a targetman like Becchio.

Having said that, I'm so biased I thought Andy Todd should've played for England, so my opinion is worth the square root of nowt.

Not sure it matters about their all-round game - whatever something as subjective as "complete player" means anyway.

When it comes to goalscorers, the only real differentiator is goals.

Becchio

2008– Leeds United 184 (72

Rhodes

2008 → Rochdale (loan) 5 (2) 2009 → Brentford (loan) 14 (7) 2009–2012 Huddersfield Town 124 (73) 2012– Blackburn Rovers 22 (13)

Got to agree with Stuart as Rhodes has got a far superior scoring record over the same period (although Huddersfield were playing L1 obviously). See quite a bit of Becchio and he appears to be sluggish to say the least.

If Rhodes started week in week out for say City or someone like that, I reckon he'd be up there in the top 5 prem scorers by the end of the season

Becchio is the more complete player although he would struggle in the Prem unless in a top club in which case he wouldn't be good enough to be picked.

Rhodes is the better striker and I suspect he would flourish in a top club because he would get the service and convert the chances into goals.

Paradoxically, Becchio and Rhodes would probably be more successful in this league if the two of them swapped clubs. Rovers in the first half of the season have needed more of a Becchio type of forward whilst Leeds have the players to feed Rhodes.

Got to agree with Stuart as Rhodes has got a far superior scoring record over the same period (although Huddersfield were playing L1 obviously). See quite a bit of Becchio and he appears to be sluggish to say the least.

If Rhodes started week in week out for say City or someone like that, I reckon he'd be up there in the top 5 prem scorers by the end of the season

Two of Becchio's seasons for Leeds, in that period, were in League One...

I was meaning I think the two of them would be ideal up front for Rovers. Beccio' put's himself about and he's not frightened of giving opposing centre halves the odd off the ball dig, I like aggressive players, he'd be a good foil for Rhodes.

I know you were.

Yep, sign him up! Who would you sell to make room for Becchio, though?

Had a similar discussion about austin, murray, becchio or Rhodes. It's quite difficult as don't see championship players a tenth as much as prem players due to limited tv coverage.

So if you look at desired attributes of a striker and a bit of punts in the dark:

Finishing-Rhodes

Pace-Rhodes (not sure either have pace)

Passing-becchio/Rhodes either or

Skill-Rhodes?

Heading-becchio

Power-becchio

Think I'd go for Rhodes overall but Leeds fans would say becchio etc. If you look at service provided to goals scored ratio Rhodes would be top striker in the world. Created about 5 chances for him all season he's scored 13. One things for sure he must be most frustrated striker out of everyone.

I know you were.

Yep, sign him up! Who would you sell to make room for Becchio, though?

Who would I sell ? Any of the @#/?s with one or two exceptions. Do they want Robbo back ? A guy who used to be a winger , Peds. A midfield colossus, there's alway Etuhu. We've loads of players I'd swap for Beccio. In fact I'd swap all three of those for him.

Who would I sell ? Any of the @#/?s with one or two exceptions. Do they want Robbo back ? A guy who used to be a winger , Peds. A midfield colossus, there's alway Etuhu. We've loads of players I'd swap for Beccio. In fact I'd swap all three of those for him.

I was thinking more - which striker? We have Rhodes, CKR and Best. Could we accommodate a fourth striker?

Well there's Goodwillie for one, I'd swap him for Becchio tomorrow. Who says Best will make a complete recovery ? Even today some players don't.
Ha. I actually forgot about Goodwillie. You win!

It just shows though that we aren't far off having a fantastic squad - certainly in attacking options. Just one or two quality additions and we would be flying.

Wish the right manager of course...

Becchio is a much better footballer than Rhodes.

He leads the front line, holds the ball up well with his back to goal, is aggressive, has pace, and he scores goals.

Rhodes is a goalscorer but outside the penalty area he might not even be on the pitch. He can't even run properly, It's why when he fails to score fans say he had a quiet game or didn't receive decent service. It's also why Rhodes would never be a success in the Premier League.

To be fair no one knows how much of an impact Best will have when he's back. I don't agree that he won't make a full recovery, these days a cruciate ligament injuries are well understood and as a result there shouldn't be an issue with his return. Having said that, he looked terrible for Newcastle! May be a decent Championship striker though.

Becchio is a much better footballer than Rhodes.

He leads the front line, holds the ball up well with his back to goal, is aggressive, has pace, and he scores goals.

Rhodes is a goalscorer but outside the penalty area he might not even be on the pitch. He can't even run properly, It's why when he fails to score fans say he had a quiet game or didn't receive decent service. It's also why Rhodes would never be a success in the Premier League.

It's why he needs to be in a team which accommodate his weaknesses. Pointless having him in a Big Sam team for instance, but I don't see a reason why a 30 yr old Rickie Lambart can do well and Rhodes can't.

It's why he needs to be in a team which accommodate his weaknesses. Pointless having him in a Big Sam team for instance, but I don't see a reason why a 30 yr old Rickie Lambart can do well and Rhodes can't.

On the contrary, one of Sam's ways of playing is to get his players to aim passes into the box looking for a knock-downs and loose balls - the sort of stuff Rhodes feeds on.

Lambert can play outside the penalty box and has pace.

Archived