BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Chris Samba

47er

Funnily enough, it was only the other day I was thinking about how people said he wasn't worth as much as some on here thought. Looking at the state of our defence, he was worth more, maybe not in the market, but certainly in terms of his value to Rovers. Just think of all those crosses he dealt with so easily and contrast it with the panic in our box when a cross comes in now. Kean is an improvement on Robinson in that regard, but since Samba left we have no centre-halves who inspire confidence in the air. Samba may not have been technically brilliant, but his size and athleticism made up for those deficiencies.

I rated him really highly......a lot of CB's aren't as good at passing so you just always make sure you provide them with easy options.

The only real flaws I noticed were him sometimes being slow on the turn and the occasional rash challenge when an opponent was through on goal eg vs Aston Villa and Agbonlahor in the League Cup semi-final or against Sunderland and Welbeck in that 0-0 game at home under Sam.

I was surprised a top English side didn't come in for him and it's a shame we didn't get at least 15 million for him.

A CB in the Samba mould is our 2nd biggest priority behind a box-to-box player imo.

I rated him really highly......a lot of CB's aren't as good at passing so you just always make sure you provide them with easy options.

The only real flaws I noticed were him sometimes being slow on the turn and the occasional rash challenge when an opponent was through on goal eg vs Aston Villa and Agbonlahor in the League Cup semi-final or against Sunderland and Welbeck in that 0-0 game at home under Sam.

I was surprised a top English side didn't come in for him and it's a shame we didn't get at least 15 million for him.

A CB in the Samba mould is our 2nd biggest priority behind a box-to-box player imo.[/quote

I rated him highly also. Not the greatest on the ball but apart from Mike England ( best centre half I've ever seen at Ewood, any team, any year ) what centre half is ? He was a colossus in defence and just what we're short of now.

• Backroom

Samba was very unprofessional when he wanted a move away from here. Phantom injuries and disrespectful quotes always appeared around January, even pre-Venky's. I'll never forget that and to an extent it lowers my opinion of him. His quotes also don't show a complete understanding of what's happening at the club.

We certainly miss his presence, though. Dann is a downgrade in every department.

Samba was very unprofessional when he wanted a move away from here. Phantom injuries and disrespectful quotes always appeared around January, even pre-Venky's. I'll never forget that and to an extent it lowers my opinion of him. His quotes also don't show a complete understanding of what's happening at the club.

We certainly miss his presence, though. Dann is a downgrade in every department.

I agree with this.

Archived