BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Working and living in Liverpool

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've worked in Liverpool several times at several companies and I hated every one of them. I worked as a service engineer and normally customers employees were delighted to see you, you'd be doing them a favour fixing a machine they couldn't. In Liverpool it was different, they didn't want to do the job, that was normal, but in Liverpool they didn't want you to do the job either ! It's the only place in England I've come across this attitude. If they could go out of their way to be awkward they would.

I lived and worked in Liverpool in the late 90's and I also hated it. I think the idea that Scousers are the salt of the earth is a myth! I found people who lived in London more friendly!

You my friend may be an achiever and all you will get is a kick in the nads. Child tax credit, working tax credit....just lame names for hand outs which labour introduced to allow people who did feck all at school to have the same lifestyle as those that did learn and got a good job....

You, Mr Sparky Marky , are either a troller or a grumpy curmudgeon who has a chip on your shoulder.

All the best to you Oklahoma, I hope you get your job at Liverpool and enjoy your time here in the North West. Liverpool is a great city. i hope you and your wife have a good time here.

All the best

Colin

Mr Sparky Marky,

Just be pleased for a fellow poster to have got the opportunity to get a job here that he wants. He can bring his wife over.

I find a bit dispiriting that he should be immediately accused of wanting to claim child benefit and all the rest of the stuff.

Why don't you just wish him well. I'll make both you and him feel better, after all it's not every day you get to speak to someone who is new to the UK and is looking for help. personally I'd rather try and help rather than accuse him of being some king of "Daily Mail" benefit scrounger. I suppose it all depends on your point of view.

Is that OK, does that make sense?

Thanks to all the support, guys.

It is not definite yet but it could be soon, hopefully.

As soon as I get a contract to work there, we'll look for a job for my wife.

There are a lot of portuguese people moving to England recently and most of them are skilled workers. And I'm not talking of footballers lol

Fair enough. Just seems like a low wage to up sticks and leave and move to another country. I may be niave in thinking that things can't be that bad in portugal....and..to liverpool???

Unfortunately things are very bad here. Close to 20% of unemployment, even considering the massive exit of qualified young people that left the country in the recent years.

There are more wage and benifit cuts in the horizon and it's been hard for everyone.

We are both currently unemployed so having work is good enough for now. We are also considering moving down under. Like a lot of people have done recently. So you can imagine how bad things are here at the moment...

Interesting that you thought of coming down here, Oklahoma. It's a long way, but well worth it.

Two points of contact:

Vic (Sydney Rovers) might be able to point you in the right direction.

Google Australian Portugese community. They have a great club in Marrickville.

I'll bet that there's someone there that will have a couple of degreees of separation from you.

I don't know what you do, or what your qualifications are, but it might be worth a shot.

Whatever you do, I hope that everything works out well for you and your family.

Unfortunately things are very bad here. Close to 20% of unemployment, even considering the massive exit of qualified young people that left the country in the recent years.

There are more wage and benifit cuts in the horizon and it's been hard for everyone.

Times are hard here too but there are always jobs available for those prepared to work. The minimum wage is middling in international terms but I would imagine airport work will pay above that.

You'll like Liverpool. Fell on hard times in the 1980s but reviving over the past decade or so and architecturally with London, Edinburgh and Bath one of the best ciies in Britain with some beautiful buildings. Living in the North west you'll also of course be close to the mecca that is Ewood Park. Good luck whatever you decide.

• Backroom
Do one Abbey. Illiterate fool. Actually I am in lancashire at the moment.

I'd rather he be an illiterate fool than a @#/? who tars all with the same brush. Oklahoma is coming here ONLY because it's where the job is.

Do one Abbey. Illiterate fool. Actually I am in lancashire at the moment.

Lancashire has a capital L . I love how people slate my grammar but never use the correct spellings of names and stuff . So you don't work abroad or is Manhatton a lie.

Here it is almost impossible to find a job, nowadays.

So, a lot of people are living the country to find a better life.

Sydney is also a possibility but it has a major factor against it: the distance.

But if it has to be, we'll go there.

I work in Liverpool although I tend to only get in the office once a week at best; I also have an investment apartment in Liverpool but that is rented out at present to a daughter of a Rovers fan. There is a wide range of accomodation; try Liverpool Student Homes but expect with all to pay a months rent in advance and a further one month deposit/damage payment which is refundable at the end of your contarct. Most contracts are for a 6 month minimum.

Avoid Speke and Garston which are near to the Airport. Look at public transport links to the Airport and choose an area close to the best links.

If you do come over then give me a shout and I will take you out for a pint as a fellow Rovers fan.

The place with a large Portuguese population is Jersey, they even have their own social clubs, many came over as cheap labour in the agriculture sector (many from Madeira) and then stayed. They have been a credit and have been well received on the Island.

Indeed. Good work ethic and nice people.

Although most are from Madeira who are different to Portuguese. Mainly in that the Portuguese don't like them and get very offended when people presume they're Madeiran.

As for Liverpool, it's a shame you're married Ricardo because in my experience Liverpool has the highest number of attractive girls in all the places I've been to across the UK.

Archived