BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Working and living in Liverpool

Hi, everyone.

I'm thinking of applying for a job in the Liverpool airport and I hope you can give me a little help.

The salary will be £1100 per month and I was wondering if that is enough to live there.

Is it very expensive? How much for a room there?

Life in Portugal is very hard and moving abroad is a strong possibility.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi, everyone.

I'm thinking of applying for a job in the Liverpool airport and I hope you can give me a little help.

The salary will be £1100 per month and I was wondering if that is enough to live there.

Is it very expensive? How much for a room there?

Life in Portugal is very hard and moving abroad is a strong possibility.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

You'd probably get a rake of benefits mate to top you up......its free money in this country for the under achievers....

You'd probably get a rake of benefits mate to top you up......its free money in this country for the under achievers....
Pathetic.

To answer the OP..Liverpool is one of the cheapest English cities, you can rent a decent place for 250ish if you are willing to share. Booze is cheap aswell, you might not have a lot left over for luxuries though.

• Backroom
This reads like a really nasty post

Oklahoma, is that before or after tax? Worth noting that being an airport there are decent transport links to it so you could look at cheaper areas to live nearby

Sounds like being pretty close to the minimum wage, so not overly generous. Given it's an airport job there will probably be some anti-social hours involved - is there any extra for that? If you're a single person with no dependants you will certainly be able to live on that wage, although it won't be luxury. I assume it's before tax but at that level tax will not be huge - from April the first £9,440 is tax-free and then 20% on the rest, plus national insurance at 12% on earnings above £102 a week. As said above Liverpool is a pretty cheap place to live and also a good social life. You will need to live somewhere with good connections to the airport as you might need to be getting there at odd hours. I'm sure someone else can give you some advice on where would be best to live. If things are as tough as they sound in Portugal I'd go for it - at least give it a go. You will of course be bale to get to Ewood easily - whether you see that as a benefit or not at the moment I'll leave you to decide.

£1100 after tax isnt a career wage, but is good enough to get by on in Liverpool. By career wage i mean enough to buy a place and settle down.

Theres quite a lot of foreign workers and foreign students clustered around the university and hospital, so that may be a decent option for you, and likely to be cheap too.

The only advice I can give is Liverpool airport is not exactly in Liverpool! It's around 10 miles. You will have travel costs and it may be difficult to travel for night shifts.

I admire your enterprise

Wow this post ranks along side the oxygen post by one of the admin on here ... Pathetic .

All the best Oklahoma ..

Give over Abbey, what I said is true....you a scrounger aswell??....

That's a bit rum, describing someone willing to work 8 hours a day for 1100 quid a month as a scrounger - Fair play to Oklahoma given he's even willing to work for Ryan Air for that &*$! wage

Aye...shiit money that will no doubt be topped up once kids and family arrive..

Well, for once I hope you are right. Not that I plan to take my wife there but we do hope to have kids.

If my wife moves to Liverpool with me it is to work, we have no intention of living from your social security.

Aye...shiit money that will no doubt be topped up once kids and family arrive..

Where is this free money?

My wife had a child 7 months ago and we're having to get by on my (albeit not awful) wage and the pittance offered as statutory maternity pay.

Where is this free money?

My wife had a child 7 months ago and we're having to get by on my (albeit not awful) wage and the pittance offered as statutory maternity pay.

You my friend may be an achiever and all you will get is a kick in the nads. Child tax credit, working tax credit....just lame names for hand outs which labour introduced to allow people who did feck all at school to have the same lifestyle as those that did learn and got a good job....

You my friend may be an achiever and all you will get is a kick in the nads. Child tax credit, working tax credit....just lame names for hand outs which labour introduced to allow people who did feck all at school to have the same lifestyle as those that did learn and got a good job....

Put your copy of the Sun away and shut up mate.

I've worked in Liverpool several times at several companies and I hated every one of them. I worked as a service engineer and normally customers employees were delighted to see you, you'd be doing them a favour fixing a machine they couldn't. In Liverpool it was different, they didn't want to do the job, that was normal, but in Liverpool they didn't want you to do the job either ! It's the only place in England I've come across this attitude. If they could go out of their way to be awkward they would.

I've worked in Liverpool several times at several companies and I hated every one of them. I worked as a service engineer and normally customers employees were delighted to see you, you'd be doing them a favour fixing a machine they couldn't. In Liverpool it was different, they didn't want to do the job, that was normal, but in Liverpool they didn't want you to do the job either ! It's the only place in England I've come across this attitude. If they could go out of their way to be awkward they would.

Awkward gene, theyve got it.

Lazy Irish that 'came over' and couldnt be arsed moving along the canals.

Archived