BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hull City [Away]; 19th February.

m1st

Hull have a settled team, with the majority of the same players having played in the same positions throughout, since the start of the season. This obviously helps with the organisation of the team, with each player knowing where they are playing and what their jobs are. They have also had the same manager.

Compare that to Rovers....

We had 3 players making their league debuts, one making only his 2nd appearance off the bench.... 3 months before the season is due to end. You could also throw Orr into the equation as he was out on loan and came back again.... and we've had 5 managers, including Bowyer.

Appleton will need a full pre-season to shift the deadwood (he's made a good start already) and bring in his own players (he's made a good start already)

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

Hull have a settled team, with the majority of the same players having played in the same positions throughout, since the start of the season. This obviously helps with the organisation of the team, with each player knowing where they are playing and what their jobs are. They have also had the same manager.

We had 3 players making their league debuts, one making only his 2nd appearance off the bench.... 3 months before the season is due to end. You could also throw Orr into the equation as he was out on loan and came back again.... and we've had 5 managers, including Bowyer.

Appleton will need a full pre-season to shift the deadwood (he's made a good start already) and bring in his own players (he's made a good start already)

Great post.

I think Rev makes some valid points, especially on the attacking side of the game. Defensively Appleton has us more organised, Dann and Hanley are probably playing as well as they have ever done in a Rovers shirt. But on the attacking side we haven't found that balance yet, we don't create many chances and when we do they seem to be half ones that Rhodes has managed to brilliantly put away. Can this strive for balance between defense and attack be achieved? I'm not so sure, not without a major overhaul in central midfield and that can't happen until next season at the earliest.

The Leeds game is the big test for Rovers, lose that and I think the chances of making the playoffs will be slim to none and we will probably finish around mid-table come the end of the season.

Not criticising Appleton here, he's made a good start and hopefully the Hull result is a blip.

But I do think there's quite a bit of misplaced optimism in his ability to build a stronger squad for next season. If Rovers don't get promoted, we'll have lost at least £20m this season. What are the chances of Venkys letting that happen again? Small to none in my opinion, so the wage bill is gonna get slashed. Which means the majority of high earners going out, and players like Lee Williamson coming in. Now I don't want to sound harsh on the lad, but a team full of Lee Williamsons aren't gonna get us promoted are they? No matter how hard they work and how well organised they are.

Hard work/organisation will get you into the top half, but promotion requires quality and quality costs money. And there's a very good chance there'll be a lot less money in the playing squad next season than there was this season. In my opinion its very dangerous indeed to write this season off and expect better next season. Hope Appleton isn't thinking that way.

Not criticising Appleton here, he's made a good start and hopefully the Hull result is a blip.

But I do think there's quite a bit of misplaced optimism in his ability to build a stronger squad for next season. If Rovers don't get promoted, we'll have lost at least £20m this season. What are the chances of Venkys letting that happen again? Small to none in my opinion, so the wage bill is gonna get slashed. Which means the majority of high earners going out, and players like Lee Williamson coming in. Now I don't want to sound harsh on the lad, but a team full of Lee Williamsons aren't gonna get us promoted are they? No matter how hard they work and how well organised they are.

Hard work/organisation will get you into the top half, but promotion requires quality and quality costs money. And there's a very good chance there'll be a lot less money in the playing squad next season than there was this season. In my opinion its very dangerous indeed to write this season off and expect better next season. Hope Appleton isn't thinking that way.

Its certainly a worry SKH. Most of us imagined it was sh1t or bust this year with our promotion hopes, especially when Murphy, Etuhu and Rhodes rolled in for, or on, big money. However worrying about that now won't help, MA has already talked about changing things further in the summer and we can only hope that the lunes in Pune understand our best chance of returning to the PL remains during the year or two after relegation and support the manager fully with his wish lists. Either that or we do make the play-offs this year...which is looking less and less likely as more and more league points get dropped.

My view on Appleton hasn't changed since seeing our first couple of games under him. Under him we look an extremely poor outfit indeed bereft of any creativity whatsoever.

There is only so far you can get parking the bus every week, relying on the opposition's shortcomings in front of goal and hoping to nick the odd goal through Rhodes' brilliance.

If Appleton can fluke enough results like that to get us promoted, good luck to him. I think we looked far more convincing under Bowyer and view the play offs as being well beyond us with the current player selection and tactics. If I'm wrong I'll gladly hold my hand up

The Cup on the other hand is a different matter. We have every chance of beating Millwall and Appleton's (negative) tactics are far better suited to nicking a one off Cup game than going on the sort of consistently winning run needed to make up the necessary ground in the League.

Wembley here we come.

Cant argue with any of that Rev, just think you may have bolted early but we shall have to wait and see.

My view on Appleton hasn't changed since seeing our first couple of games under him. Under him we look an extremely poor outfit indeed bereft of any creativity whatsoever.

There is only so far you can get parking the bus every week, relying on the opposition's shortcomings in front of goal and hoping to nick the odd goal through Rhodes' brilliance.

If Appleton can fluke enough results like that to get us promoted, good luck to him. I think we looked far more convincing under Bowyer and view the play offs as being well beyond us with the current player selection and tactics. If I'm wrong I'll gladly hold my hand up

The Cup on the other hand is a different matter. We have every chance of beating Millwall and Appleton's (negative) tactics are far better suited to nicking a one off Cup game than going on the sort of consistently winning run needed to make up the necessary ground in the League.

Wembley here we come.

Agree with that Simon, good points well made.

For what it's worth I think Appleton has pretty much written this season off and is looking to prepare for a real push next season.

Agree with that Simon, good points well made.

For what it's worth I think Appleton has pretty much written this season off and is looking to prepare for a real push next season.

I don't agree with that last bit. Why bother signing the likes of Rekik and Bentley on loan who we have next to no chance of keeping? We could have just saved our cash for the summer.

I don't agree with that last bit. Why bother signing the likes of Rekik and Bentley on loan who we have next to no chance of keeping? We could have just saved our cash for the summer.

Perhaps to give us an option at left back and an opportunity to move Martin further forward? The selection and position of Rekik at Hull left everyone scratching their head.

Bentley gives us lots of options dependant on his fitness.

Perhaps to give us an option at left back and an opportunity to move Martin further forward? The selection and position of Rekik at Hull left everyone scratching their head.

Bentley gives us lots of options dependant on his fitness.

I meant what's the point of signing loan players with no long term future if Appleton has written this season off and is preparing for next?

I meant what's the point of signing loan players with no long term future if Appleton has written this season off and is preparing for next?

I appreciate that Le Chuck but perhaps he hasn't written this season off, rightly or wrongly, only time will tell.

As I understand things, the financial implications regarding wages between now and the end of the season are negligible. As it gives us options without obligation, I think it's a no brainer.

The knw jerk reactions are ridiculous a blink monkey could see things gave improved under Appleton on and off the field!

He got his tactics wrong against hull (admittingly we can't afford to do that chasing promotion) but we have looked far worse than we did against hull in many games under kean and berg!

Bring on Leeds!

• Backroom

we have looked far worse than we did against hull in many games under kean and berg!

I don't think we have. We were dire by all accounts, backed up by the fact we only managed a single shot on goal the whole game. If it was Kean or Berg people would be going mad, and rightly so.

Appleton shouldn't be immune from criticism. That's a dangerous road to go down. He has plenty of legitimate excuses for the performance against Hull, but we're still waiting for a genuinely good attacking performance from the team under his guidance.

The knw jerk reactions are ridiculous a blink monkey could see things gave improved under Appleton on and off the field!

He got his tactics wrong against hull (admittingly we can't afford to do that chasing promotion) but we have looked far worse than we did against hull in many games under kean and berg!

Bring on Leeds!

I agree his tactics were wrong but more importantly for me some of the players let him and us down. They were woeful.

But, fists clenched, Bring on dirty Leeds!

The fans should have done the same after king rat was given far to many games at the start of the season.

It's all about next season, we have no chance of going up this.

The fans should have done the same after king rat was given far to many games at the start of the season.

There in lays the problem! He somehow left us in a bloody good position in the league which raised false optimism among supporters that we could go up without breaking a sweat (not all of us, a fair few mind).

There in lays the problem! He somehow left us in a bloody good position in the league which raised false optimism among supporters that we could go up without breaking a sweat (not all of us, a fair few mind).

The side was terrible, no shape and unfit, but somehow he managed to fluke a couple of wins and had us in a decent position. But how anyone thought we'd romp through this league is beyond me, the 18 months just gone by should have told everyone that.

Appletons doing a decent job, bit of an over reaction to the Hull defeat on here for me, lets beat Leeds and see where we ended up.

It's all about next season, we have no chance of going up this.

How was 7 too many games when Kean got 14 points from them? He should have been sacked in the summer or not at all if a diabolical manager like Berg was gonna replace him. Your mate Berg and his 6 points in 10 games is the sole reason we're not in the cluster of teams directly behind Cardiff.

How was 7 too many games when Kean got 14 points from them? He should have been sacked in the summer or not at all if a diabolical manager like Berg was gonna replace him. Your mate Berg and his 6 points in 10 games is the sole reason we're not in the cluster of teams directly behind Cardiff.

It's not all about points dear boy, how about the new manager having no pre-season and no chance of bringing in his own players? That's key to having a successful season for me, wouldn't you agree?

coco walked when he saw the writing on the wall and the upcoming fixtures and knew he could not deliver.

The highlighted part is one of the most un-educated posts I have seen on here. Sole reason! your joking right?

It's not all about points dear boy, how about the new manager having no pre-season and no chance of bringing in his own players? That's key to having a successful season for me, wouldn't you agree?

It is all about points, but thats something you've never grasped from Sam onwards. Well like I said, thats why Kean should have gone in the summer. If you're gonna deny a new manager that time and the current one has you 2nd/3rd, then keep the current unless the new one can hit the ground running (i.e. is someone with masses of experience in this league).

coco walked when he saw the writing on the wall and the upcoming fixtures and knew he could not deliver.

The highlighted part is one of the most un-educated posts I have seen on here. Sole reason! your joking right?

The highlighted is one of the most un-educated sentences I have seen on here. Coco spent 18 months seeing the writing on the wall, not delivering and knowing he couldn't deliver. It mattered not one jot to him, doing your job well has little connection to earning lots of money under Venkys. Suddenly cause we're in the Championship his whole ethos has changed has it? We beat Hull and Leicester under Kean but he resigned because we had Charlton, Forest and Wolves coming up? Awesome theory.

It is all about points, but thats something you've never grasped from Sam onwards. Well like I said, thats why Kean should have gone in the summer. If you're gonna deny a new manager that time and the current one has you 2nd/3rd, then keep the current unless the new one can hit the ground running (i.e. is someone with masses of experience in this league).

The highlighted is one of the most un-educated sentences I have seen on here. Coco spent 18 months seeing the writing on the wall, not delivering and knowing he couldn't deliver. It mattered not one jot to him, doing your job well has little connection to earning lots of money under Venkys. Suddenly cause we're in the Championship his whole ethos has changed has it? We beat Hull and Leicester under Kean but he resigned because we had Charlton, Forest and Wolves coming up? Awesome theory.

You have made my point for me, he could see that he would not get the points, it was his team now (not one he inherited) and it was not going to deliver. So he walked before he was pushed and so engineered a pay off.

It is all about points, but thats something you've never grasped from Sam onwards..

If it was all about points you'd have been happy to stick with Kean then? He had us riding high in the league picking up points against the front runners?

Archived