BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hull City [Away]; 19th February.

m1st

This. Let's not forget how it was under Kean and Berg. The defeat against Hull was disappointing, but Appleton has had a better start than most of us dared dream of.

Don't get me wrong I'm very happy with the progress that we appear to be making on and off the field (last night aside) but it is just the two wins in six, league wise since Appleton took over.

'Dared dream of' is a little dramatic given the form that Bowyer had us in.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This. Let's not forget how it was under Kean and Berg. The defeat against Hull was disappointing, but Appleton has had a better start than most of us dared dream of.

I hate to say it - but Kean had a brilliant start to the season (results wise). We look more organised than we ever did under Kean - but overall (other than being more organised) the performances aren't much better

I never said I was any good at predicting the scores...;)

It was always a tough looking away game so I am not overly disappointed in the wider scheme of things. How we react will be telling. It remains a very good start to MA's reign at the club and as new acquisitions bed in we will get stronger and stronger. Nice to dream, but realistically we are planning for next year already.

• Backroom

I hate to say it - but Kean had a brilliant start to the season (results wise). We look more organised than we ever did under Kean - but overall (other than being more organised) the performances aren't much better

This team, under all managers, has never managed a consistant run of good form. In fact, I don't think we've had two games where we can say we've outplayed the opposition consistantly. The team has benefited from having some quality players who can create a goal out of nothing (mainly Rhodes) but performances have been unacceptable all season. Our wage bill is massively disproportionate to both our position in the league and the performances of the players on the pitch.

Appleton has a bigger job on his hands in the summer than most people realise, IMO, if promotion is the aim next season. A lot of wasters in our squad who get overhyped on the back of a few half-decent performances (Hanley, Orr, Dann, Lowe, Markus Olsson, Murphy) and who will need to leave the club or be relegated to the subs bench if we're to have a chance of promotion next season. I'm not convinced Venky's will be able to fund the kind of transformation necessary, but who knows. They'll find it hard to ship wage-drains like Etuhu, Murphy and Pedersen.

They'll find it hard to ship wage-drains like Etuhu, Murphy and Pedersen.

IMO Murphy has been the biggest disappointment - when he signed I thought he would be the quality addition to the midfield that would make us tick - instead his inability to adapt to this league is one of the reasons we are struggling so much.

• Backroom

I think most of us thought signing Murphy and Etuhu was prudent at the time. I remember expressing doubts over giving Etuhu a 4 year deal but otherwise I was satisfied. Very few people could have predicted the pair of them would be this bad.

Murphy back in the team Why? he moves to slow,thinks to slow and is closed down to easily,Lowe is a journeyman player Both are not up to the standard required and need to be replaced. CKR may have scored at Arsenal but for most games is lazy on the verge of being sent off not a team player ( thats why he's been at 10 clubs) its time we got a grip of centre midfield and played with two proper wingers.

Murphy back in the team Why? he moves to slow,thinks to slow and is closed down to easily,Lowe is a journeyman player Both are not up to the standard required and need to be replaced. CKR may have scored at Arsenal but for most games is lazy on the verge of being sent off not a team player ( thats why he's been at 10 clubs) its time we got a grip of centre midfield and played with two proper wingers.

If Williamson is out for any period of time then Lowe has to stay, at least until Etuhu is fit. We don't need to do anything drastic because we've been in good form prior to yesterday, but perhaps this would be better given the form of some players...

Kean

Orr Dann Hanley Rekik

Bentley Lowe Pedersen Martin

Rhodes Campbell

Can't believe that people are being so quick to shoot at Appleton on here and on Twitter after the run he's given us. We're finally a team that's organised and looks like it could JUST make the play offs. Remember he's not actually had a lot of spare time to drill his philosophy into the players so the fact we're already so much better than we were shows what a brilliant job Michael has done. Given a summer, I reckon he can turn us into an even more solid and efficient outfit so if we don't make the playoffs this year I guarantee we take the league next year.

Last night was a reality check, imo. I've only been at 2 games this season [Wolves (H); Palace (A)] so am not really in a position to comment on performances under the various managers this season.

From what I've read, though, 'Appy seems to have had a positive effect with the squad he's had at his disposal. Hopefully, he can use the summer to get the squad better for its purpose - automatic promotion before the parachute payments reduce.

IMO Murphy has been the biggest disappointment - when he signed I thought he would be the quality addition to the midfield that would make us tick - instead his inability to adapt to this league is one of the reasons we are struggling so much.

I don't think it's anything to do with adapting to the league. He chose Rovers because no-one else wanted him and Fulham would have been determined to get rid. A half decent player who has made a very good career through get it and give it. Now I fear he is happy to pick up his wage rather than fight for the cause.

Really hope Appy has plans to try to offload him and use his wages to good effect. How long is his contract?

His mate Etuhu is another one I have seen very little from. When I have watched him he is almost always a passenger. I have no idea what his main attributes are, I always thought he was a 'breaker downer'?

Didn't go myself and only caught about 10 minutes on the radio, but Kevin (I like to sit on the fence) Gallagher pointed out that the formation was wrong right at the start of the game, not sure what people think who went?

What was the following like?

I think they put it up on the big screen that there were 800+ rovers fans attended but as we were side on to the screen I couldn't see it clearly. On a plus note the working men's Club near the ground was very cheap- £2.55 for a pint of smooth.

Didn't go myself and only caught about 10 minutes on the radio, but Kevin (I like to sit on the fence) Gallagher pointed out that the formation was wrong right at the start of the game, not sure what people think who went?

What was the following like?

How exactly did we line-up?

Curiously how did Williamson get injured challenge or not?

I don't think it's anything to do with adapting to the league. He chose Rovers because no-one else wanted him and Fulham would have been determined to get rid. A half decent player who has made a very good career through get it and give it. Now I fear he is happy to pick up his wage rather than fight for the cause.

Really hope Appy has plans to try to offload him and use his wages to good effect. How long is his contract?

His mate Etuhu is another one I have seen very little from. When I have watched him he is almost always a passenger. I have no idea what his main attributes are, I always thought he was a 'breaker downer'?

Not having a go here, but from what I remember Martin Jol was desperate to keep him at Fulham, however they were only willing to offer him a 1 year rolling contract, wehereas we offered more money and a longer deal. QPR were also interested but didn't want to pay those sort of wages (even though they seem to give everyone else megabucks).

Murphy and the rest of the central mids at our disposal are the reason we arent in the play offs, simple as for me.

I see people write, lets try these 2 or lets try them 2, but we all know, that all the possible combinations we try in that CM position just arent good enough.

Not having a go here, but from what I remember Martin Jol was desperate to keep him at Fulham, however they were only willing to offer him a 1 year rolling contract, wehereas we offered more money and a longer deal. QPR were also interested but didn't want to pay those sort of wages (even though they seem to give everyone else megabucks).

It's true, they were dissapointed to lose him, but quite rightly for his age they were only offering a 1 year deal. They even did a big piece in the Evening Standard down here recently about how Jol etc. felt that Murphy leaving has led to their poor season to date.

I think Murphy's poor performances are nothing to do with him not trying enough or not caring enough, more a case of what happens to every footballer and something they have no control over i.e. they get old. Unless you are Lazarus Long you are going to see a decline in your abilities as you get older, the legs in particular go as a footballer hits a certain age.

Murphy doesn't deserve the criticism he gets from some fans, if anything the club should be taking the brunt of any anger for signing a player with barely anything left in the tank.

Yesterdays result was as I expected, I posted after the Arsenal game, I hope it hasnt taken too much out of the side, the game was probably a day too early, however not seeing the game and others posting the formation was not good, I may be wrong!!

One thing we must take into consideration though, did our scouting network indicate this was the way to play Hull?

How exactly did we line-up?

Curiously how did Williamson get injured challenge or not?

I would agree with Gallagher's comments. I saw it as a 4 man midfield with Rekik on the left (?), Williamson right with Murphy and Lowe centre. This effectively left Lowe charging around like a headless chicken whilst Murphy ambled around with not a care in the world. In fairness to Lowe he didn't have much of a chance trying to combat 3 in Hull's central midfield alone.

Williamson injured himself with a heavy challenge on a Hull player outside the box and conceded a free kick in the process.

The match summaries by 1864 and Preston Blue earlier in the thread are pretty much the way I saw things too.

A thoroughly disappointing night when we should have expected better.

I think Murphy's poor performances are nothing to do with him not trying enough or not caring enough, more a case of what happens to every footballer and something they have no control over i.e. they get old. Unless you are Lazarus Long you are going to see a decline in your abilities as you get older, the legs in particular go as a footballer hits a certain age.

Murphy doesn't deserve the criticism he gets from some fans, if anything the club should be taking the brunt of any anger for signing a player with barely anything left in the tank.

I agree with the part about a players legs going and age being a factor in this but last night Murphy's passing was poor. I would wager that the majority of his intended passes over 10 yards did not hit their intended target. In actual fact I thought our most successful passer on the night was Grant Hanley. That shows a massive shortcoming in our squad.

I know I keep harping on about this but with Murphy in the team we are at least half a man down. He is too slow, too weak and his legs have gone. Lowe gets more stick than he should because he just can't make up for this.

I know Murphy is on big wages and a two year contract but unless we realise that we have made a big mistake, grasp the nettle and drop him we are not going to get out of this division, at least not upwards. We cannot carry a passenger in the centre of the park, particularly as we do not have a dynamic partner to make up for him.

Just my opinion but I stick to it.

753, poor given it was half term

It was 787. Not bad at all seeing as it was a few days after many regular travellers had spent a small fortune going to the big smoke. Half term or not kids usually need someone to take them or a least stump up for it. Unless you mean we have a large following of teachers of course :)

Archived