BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hull City [Away]; 19th February.

m1st

Has been suggested before but am informed by cognoscenti he's definitely PL quality.

Truth is without his goals he's not much use.

I think he has his moments but needs more consistency in his hold up play, also seems we set up far too defensively tonight, Appleton got it wrong tonight with someone who can finish like Rhodes you have to get as many decent deliveries to him as possible!

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

Has been suggested before but am informed by cognoscenti he's definitely PL quality.

Truth is without his goals he's not much use.

The latter has applied to many strikers before Rhodes as well, and they did alright....

Play off push isn't over, but it always was a very tall order at any rate, I always figured we'd be better getting to the summer, re-grouping and going again in August, a la Leicester.

• Backroom

Can't believe I'm reading critical or doubting comments towards Appleton.

Sheesh.

At what point did promotion this season become an expectation rather than a hope?

As I said at half time him doing things right has been his downfall as people have started to expect more than is realistic, perfect example is people moaning against Arsenal that we weren't attacking them enough.

Promotion this season from where he took over would have been near miraculous (I almost wish it was mathematically impossible when he took over)

Of course lots of problems remain, Appleton inherited an awful, imbalanced squad and has took measures to make us tougher to beat

Tonight is a bad bad day at the office and it highlights the challenges faced, I'm not a Rovers Fan but I do feel the manager should be given a bit of time and space to sort things without being jumped on (not for a minute saying you are by the way)

Can't see anything to disagree with there, Tom.

It just seems that some people on this board are either unrelentingly, almost crazily, upbeat; or they're completely up-and-down. I just try to remain objective (not easy as a football fan) and consistent.

We had had a little run together, but I was thinking defeat was odds-on tonight. Actually, typing "little run" there, reminds me of Kean. didn't he once say we were on a "nice little run" after three consecutive draws?

Not overly bothered about the result (ffs Hull are 2nd and a hangover from saturday was expected) but little disappointed that we couldn't muster a response to going behind. Hopefully Appleton learned something from the game, expect to see Pedersen back in on saturday and hopefully a more attack minded performance.

This team simply does not function as an attacking unit. Appleton has added nothing in this respect and the squad is totally bereft of penetrative wide players or a commanding playmaker. An FA semi-final is the only thing left to play for now.

• Backroom

We had had a little run together, but I was thinking defeat was odds-on tonight. Actually, typing "little run" there, reminds me of Kean. didn't he once say we were on a "nice little run" after three consecutive draws?

Think it was two draws actually :lol:

Appleton definitely shouldn't be criticised, he's doing what he can with the team he's inherited.

It's just a bit galling to see a team with some players on £30k+ a week being outplayed by Hull. But there you go. Hopefully Venky's won't be rushing to spunk money on ex-premiership mercenaries this summer.

Though I agree it may take a while - MA has had quite a turn over of players so you can't entirely blame the players he inherited.

Dont mind losing, but sounded as though we where out-thought and out-fought. We have been getting away with defending well and converting the little chances we have created, that needs to change.

To be fair, the players were probably shattered after Arsenal, saturday is a big game now 3 points needed or we'll slip backwards again.

• Backroom

Though I agree it may take a while - MA has had quite a turn over of players so you can't entirely blame the players he inherited.

Plenty of players in the squad who need to go if we're to get promoted next season IMO DMTP.

As an aside, would have been nice to have someone like Rochina available in this match. We have nobody creative to help the team if we're struggling to make chances, which will need to be addressed somehow in the summer.

A few weeks ago we were nervously looking over our shoulder at the relegation places, personally think a finish just outside the play offs would be good considering, in the play offs would be fantastic. Rebuild in pre season for a push next season, the summer will also give us a good indication of what the on paper owners plans are

This game has put it back into perspective the challenge we have to get into the play-offs. I for one was expecting us to get a result tonight after Saturdays game. Expect a big reaction from the players this Saturday.

Sounds like we came out totally flat, a possible outcome after such a big game and great result at the weekend but disappointing nonetheless. Listening to the Radio commentary all I kept hearing was top class saves by Kean and barely a mention really of any attacking moves from Rovers. Is it concerning that in the last couple of games Rhodes has ended up being totally isolated?

Hope we can bounce back against Leeds.

Williamson stretchered off. The new Grella. Midfield over-run again, who'd have thunked it. Still not addressed the bleedin obvious.

Nail on head.

Will go nowhere until this issue resolved.

B o l l o c k s to a cup run.

Has to be one priority - promotion through play-offs.

Not interested in a semi trip to Wembley only to bow out with a whimper.

I wonder if the players aren't playing for the manager again :P

Has Ruben played in Spain yet by the way?

Their best player in the game on Sky the other day (could've been last week I'm not sure) faded in the second half

I feared an FA cup hangover and thats what we had. Disappointed but we were never going to win every game between now and the end of the season.

Overall, we havent lost much ground on the playoffs. Middlesbrough only drew and Leicester lost. That means we are 9 points off Leicester and are due to play them next week. 7 points off Boro with a game in hand. Brighton won which was a bad result. Brighton still have to play Boro so one or both will drop points there. And, added to that, we have now got one of our toughest remaining fixtures out the way.

Tonight wasnt a disaster in our playoff hunt.

Guest Norbert

We'll probably finish 8-10th, not that far from the play-off in terms of points. I just hope we can keep hold of Rhodes, Kean and a few others for next season. Then we'll be in a better position.

Of course lots of problems remain, Appleton inherited an awful, imbalanced squad and has took measures to make us tougher to beat

Tonight is a bad bad day at the office and it highlights the challenges faced, I'm not a Rovers Fan but I do feel the manager should be given a bit of time and space to sort things without being jumped on (not for a minute saying you are by the way)

Correct, from where we were when Appleton took over the play offs would be a bonus.

Not many teams who have three managers in a season, ( not counting caretakers ), are going to get promoted.

That said we need a positive reaction on Saturday.

Archived