BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hull City [Away]; 19th February.

m1st

I feared an FA cup hangover and thats what we had. Disappointed but we were never going to win every game between now and the end of the season.

Overall, we havent lost much ground on the playoffs. Middlesbrough only drew and Leicester lost. That means we are 9 points off Leicester and are due to play them next week. 7 points off Boro with a game in hand. Brighton won which was a bad result. Brighton still have to play Boro so one or both will drop points there. And, added to that, we have now got one of our toughest remaining fixtures out the way.

Tonight wasnt a disaster in our playoff hunt.

A game in hand doesn't automatically guarantee 3 points. 7 points is a lot of ground to make up, we're over halfway through February. There's only 2 full months of the season left.

There's no chance of going up through the play-offs. We needed a win tonight to have any chance. You don't get into the play-offs by hanging around tenth place all season.

Best we can hope for is to get into cup semis, beat Burnley at home and re-group for next year (under new owners?)

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem I see with promotion hopes is that as tactically we may have set up a bit too negative today we were simply outplayed by Hull.

So much for Murphy, Lowe, Williamson, putting a foot on the ball by winning it and then starting off our attacks whilst stopping theres.

The problem I see with promotion hopes is that as tactically we may have set up a bit too negative today we were simply outplayed by Hull.

It's a good point. One of the reasons we have done so well during Appleton's honeymoon period is that we had nothing to lose (a la Saturday). As we get nearer to the end of the season we could start to see our tactics more about trying to sneak a win or even a point away from home.

We need to try to keep in mind that we are outsiders for the play-offs and not put too much pressure on ourselves.

Although that's probably a lot of over-analysis considering a.) I wasn't at the game and b.) he had to lose eventually.

Let's keep the faith. We are still making progress. Hope Williamson is ok.

Did we manage a second shot or did we stick with the one all game?

We're going to have to show much much more going forward if we're going to cling onto this faint playoff hope. Barely registering a goal a game in the league. Not good enough with the wages we spend to point out the obvious.

One shot in ninety minutes means you have to ask, what on earth were they doing for an hour and a half... hiding!

We'd been practicing defending crosses for the best part of yesterday according to Appleton. As I said on my previous comment, we need to start showing some more attacking intent.

He only needed a defensive four to do that, so, surely the rest could have been working on the creative side of things. One shot from eleven players in over an hour and a half of football isnt anywhere near good enough wether it be home or away.

So what, we win at home to two of the worst sides in the division and we can make the playoffs.

We lose away at one of the best sides and it was all just a pipe dream?

Plenty of matches to go in this league that's pointless trying to predict what's going to happen. Cardiiff just lost at home, Millwall got d##ked 5-1 at home to P'boro, and we're 4 points off Boro if we win our game in hand. Apparently that was Boro's first point this calendar year.

We're maybe just a mid-table team to some but surely Brighton, Forest and Boro are aswell as they're no great shakes themselves so the playoffs are still on.

People although we hate losing any game of football and the goals conceded were poor but to write off our play off chances are premature this loss does not define our season and while mathematically we can make the play offs we should still believe and given as though in this league results are so unpredictable e.g. P'boro walloping Millwall Leicester getting beat by charlton & Cardiff losing to the seagulls & even to see Wolves drop into the drop zone is a bit of a shock and whille this defeat is not good anything is possible and while still possible we have to remain optimistic we can still make the play offs but our home games are important now and we must take as many points as possible and will be expecting a reaction on Saturday & I fully expect appy to sort things out. Although I fully agree 1 shot on target in 90 mins is simply not good enough hopefully we can sort it out for saturday.

BRUCE HAILS GEDO'S IMPACT
By Liam Blackburn, Press Association Sport
Steve Bruce hopes Egyptian striker Gedo's blistering start to life in English football will continue after he scored again to help Hull beat Blackburn 2-0 and close the gap at the top of the npower Championship.
The Al Ahly loanee broke the deadlock with his third goal in as many games early in the second half before compatriot Ahmed Elmohamady added a second to give the Tigers a hat-trick of home wins in eight days.
Gedo only arrived at the KC Stadium because DJ Campbell backed out of a move to Bruce's men on transfer deadline day before later joining Rovers.
Campbell came on as a substitute and fulfilled the role of pantomime villain for the home support, who will surely now consider his dramatic u-turn a blessing in disguise given Gedo's fine form.
Bruce, whose side moved five points behind leaders Cardiff, concedes Gedo's current goals-to-game ratio is unlikely to continue, but believes the spring sunshine may serve as an inspiration for the man from Egypt.
``We needed it,'' Bruce said of Hull's new star.
``We needed somebody to come. We all know what happened on deadline day. To get three in three, I know he'll hit a wall but, hopefully, with the sun shining (when) it gets into spring...he's a very, very good player.
``He uses that bit of class, he's got good ability and thankfully he's got three in three which is the icing on the cake for us.''
The victory gave Hull a maximum nine-point haul from a run of home games against Derby, Charlton and Blackburn, and Bruce was delighted his men were able to overcome fatigue to produce since a fine all-round performance.
``It was a complete performance from start to finish,'' he added.
``There was a hunger about us, a freshness about us. I think they've had one shot at our goal. I thought our lads were terrific, I really, really did.
``That's as good as we've played for a long time from back to front.''
The visitors were unbeaten in their last six games and manager Michael Appleton felt his men suffered from an FA Cup hangover.
Rovers pulled off a shock by defeating Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday and Appleton admitted his side struggled to replicate that performance here.
He said: ``I think obviously after the euphoria of Saturday there was always a danger of the players being unable to pick themselves up and repeat the type of performance they showed.
"You've got to give credit to Hull. They started the game okay and they certainly came out of the blocks second half really well.''
The one silver lining for Rovers was goalkeeper Jake Kean, who followed up his cup heroics against Arsenal with two more impressive saves to deny David Meyler and Jack Hobbs.
Kean's form is currently keeping former England international Paul Robinson on the sidelines, and Appleton added: ``He's obviously a lad who's had an opportunity and his reputation is growing game by game.
``He's got half a chance, the kid. At the start of the season he was probably third-choice goalkeeper and he's taken the mantle on and he's earned the right to be number-one keeper at the minute.''

So what, we win at home to two of the worst sides in the division and we can make the playoffs.

We lose away at one of the best sides and it was all just a pipe dream?

Plenty of matches to go in this league that's pointless trying to predict what's going to happen. Cardiiff just lost at home, Millwall got d##ked 5-1 at home to P'boro, and we're 4 points off Boro if we win our game in hand. Apparently that was Boro's first point this calendar year.

We're maybe just a mid-table team to some but surely Brighton, Forest and Boro are aswell as they're no great shakes themselves so the playoffs are still on.

You can't take one night's results and say anything can happen. What's of more interest is what happens 9 times out of 10, that is more indicative. Shock results happen in every league, it's pretty rare that the league leaders go the season unbeaten at home. An "if" is no guarantee of 3 points, sadly.

Let's put it another way. We have to make up 7 points in 14 games just to clinch the last play-off berth, and that's just to end up level on points.

While it's still possible, there is hope. Is it probable, given our season so far, current manager and players? Not really, no.

Playing with a CB who can play LB at LM and a CM at RM isn't really a recipe for success. You could argue that we don't have other options for those positions but it isn't true, Rekik infront of Martin Olsson is bemusing, but I can also see why he would do it. I imagine he didn't want to break up the defence

Just arrived back frozen to the bone.

well, what an utter abject performance from Rovers and this after being in total control for some 2 minutes at the start of the game !

Appleton made it clear in his pre match talk that the way Hull would be set up would be 3-5-2 and that Rovers would be set up to combat it. Therein lies the crux of the problems that saw Rovers fall to an embarassing defeat.

Hull City were not that good, they were effective BUT not good.

Rovers lost the game in the middle of the park from the off. Neither Lowe or Murphy knew how to cope with the middle of the park, both were poor, drawn out of p[osition too much and gave the ball away on far too many occasions. To compound that, playing Rekic in the left slot of midfield lkeft Olsson over exposed. Time and time again Murphy and Lowes lack of ability led to the full backs being overrun and hence we were bombarded with cross after cross. Indeed both goals came from deep crosses that left Olsson with too much to do alone.

There was a lack of service to JR, CKR was simply atrocious whilst Rekic was a total waste of space.

Only Keans heroics int he goal kept the scoreline from being a total trouncing with 3 first class saves. Both Dann and Hanley worked hard, Orr was ok howev er he was over exposed by a lack of support.

Appleton got it totally wrong, the wrong team, wrong set up, wrong tactics and some ineffective players that surely has now blown the chance of making the play offs.

Anyhow off to my bed to warm up and to forget about this non performance.

You can't take one night's results and say anything can happen. What's of more interest is what happens 9 times out of 10, that is more indicative. Shock results happen in every league, it's pretty rare that the league leaders go the season unbeaten at home. An "if" is no guarantee of 3 points, sadly.

Let's put it another way. We have to make up 7 points in 14 games just to clinch the last play-off berth, and that's just to end up level on points.

While it's still possible, there is hope. Is it probable, given our season so far, current manager and players? Not really, no.

But here people (not all obviously) are taking "one night's results" as proof we're not good enough. My point was this league is more unpredictable than most and I'm still going to believe we can do it till it's near enough impossible, as that's what the manager will be thinking as well.

I don't know how many games Appleton has had, maybe 7 or 8 or something, but he's still learning about our team and the players are learning his style. He won't know what our strongest 11 looks like now, even harder if Best is back in the fold soonish.

We can catch Boro, I don't particularly rate their manager and they've been on an awful run. Brighton, Leeds, Derby. Forest etc I'm confident of gaining more points than.

There's usually this amount of teams still in the chase at this point. Teams have been promoted through the playoffs after a season of being mostly mid-table. Someone once told me it's often the form team that goes up through the playoffs and there's a good chance that would be us if we finish top 6.

Leeds at home on Sat, haven't kept a clean sheet away in almost a year I believe.

Hull City were not that good, they were effective BUT not good.

The same can be said for all the other teams imo. Even Cardiff have looked beatable each time I've seen them over the past few years, which is quite a few as my ex-housemate was a Cardiff fan.

Newcastle, West Brom and QPR were good, not standard C'ship teams, they can all be got at and contained much easier than Prem teams.....obviously.....but my point is the league is tighter and teams go on good and bad runs, even if we lose a few, I can't envisage Boro etc getting too far ahead.

It's a good point. One of the reasons we have done so well during Appleton's honeymoon period is that we had nothing to lose (a la Saturday). As we get nearer to the end of the season we could start to see our tactics more about trying to sneak a win or even a point away from home.

We need to try to keep in mind that we are outsiders for the play-offs and not put too much pressure on ourselves.

Although that's probably a lot of over-analysis considering a.) I wasn't at the game and b.) he had to lose eventually.

Let's keep the faith. We are still making progress. Hope Williamson is ok.

The other problem with trying get a run if wins together we are not sure what exactly this squad is capable of.

its been chopped and changed so much over two years and players have been so inconsistant, but I have to say there has been improvement under Appleton in consistency and fitness, I will have to wait till end of the season to form a clearer opinion but on the face I'd say we are missing done real quality at the moment to be one if the teams pushing for promotion I hope Bentley can become that man but he will have to find form and fast.

The best team won and it was far too easy for them. Appleton got his selection wrong for me tonight. Our two wide players quite simply didn't look or play like wide players. He should have gone with Pedersen and Bentley out wide with Lowe and Williamson in the middle. I thought midfield was were Hull dominated and effectively won the game. The lad from Man City looked lost and Murphy and Lowe simply can't play together. CKR was lucky not to be sent off and Appleton should have taken him off at half time. He really is a liability at times.

I am full of admiration for Appleton but tonight, in my opinion he got his team selection wrong.

I am full of admiration for Appleton but tonight, in my opinion he got his team selection wrong.

I think the players he picked let him down, none of them played anywhere near the level they have been at in the last few games.

The lad from City looked totally clueless. He played wide left but I thought he was a center back?

Lowe panics too much and can't get rid of the ball quick enough. Murphy plays in slow motion and loses possession to easily if put under pressure. Neither are good enough if we are to push for a play off spot.

I'd like to see the goals again to find out where Olsson was as both were conceded from his side.

But here people (not all obviously) are taking "one night's results" as proof we're not good enough. My point was this league is more unpredictable than most and I'm still going to believe we can do it till it's near enough impossible, as that's what the manager will be thinking as well.

No, I think proof that we're not good enough is 6 months of results this season.

We're still in the hunt, but let's not be under any illusions, it will take some turnaround to get into the play-offs. Boro will have to collapse for a start.

I guess we'll know come May.

Archived