BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lee Williamson

LeChuck

Thought I'd give the lad his own thread as he'll be heavily involved in our promotion push based on yesterday's performance.

I was surprised how much of a proper player he looked. I was expecting someone who would be able to do a job and nothing more. However he was really tidy on the ball, good technically and composed. Not afraid to get stuck in either.

I think he'll be first choice for that holding role from now on.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think everyone underestimates how much Lowe makes a difference to the defensive side of the team. He may not be a perfect midfield player - but every team needs a player who will do the dirty work. If you watch Lowe - he doesn't stop running from start to finish - and the number of times he has covered for Murphy's lack of pace is unreal. Having said that - it will be nice if Williamson provides some competition - as we have a lot of games between now and the end of the season.

Thought he looked good yesterday, a pleasant surprise and someone I think will come to good use in the coming months. I still think our central midfield is our weak point, but at least now we have some more options and can vary our midfield pairing to suit whichever team we're facing.

I think everyone underestimates how much Lowe makes a difference to the defensive side of the team. He may not be a perfect midfield player - but every team needs a player who will do the dirty work. If you watch Lowe - he doesn't stop running from start to finish - and the number of times he has covered for Murphy's lack of pace is unreal. Having said that - it will be nice if Williamson provides some competition - as we have a lot of games between now and the end of the season.

Not everyone. Lowe will be appreciated by his team mates and his manager far more than the supporters. Current hate figures are Lowe and MGP and he joins a long list of players that have done the dirty work and not caught the eye. Rem some of our 'knowledgeable' supporters hounded the likes Sherwood, Carsley, Neill, Atkins, Wilcox etc mercilessly. .

Lowe is indeed full of running. Useful when Murphy isn't good at tracking back but Lowe is also known to close down the oppositions defence in the later stages. Seem him do it in at least 3 games at Ewood since he's been back in the team.

Guest Norbert

I wiki'd Williamson and it seems he has spent most of his career in the lower reaches of the leagues, with the odd spell in the first division. If his debut game is anything to go by, he could be one of those late developers who get their break later in their career. Sort of like Friedel. Not every player has a career like Giggs, or Messi and show such promise early on.

Lowe is indeed full of running. Lowe is also known to close down the oppositions defence in the later stages. Seem him do it in at least 3 games at Ewood since he's been back in the team.

What on earth do you mean by closing down the oppositions defence in the later stages. Last five minutes or what ?

Listening to the Radio 5 commentary on yesterday's game, I was pleasantly surprised how often Martin Keown [one of the better pundits, imo] said he was impressed by the part Williamson was playing in the game.

Not sure how many of those carried through, but on the BBC Sport site this morning, he had some nice words about us, too. Far past the standard, "Credit to Blackburn, they turned up and put their boots on, belying their Shoeless Peasants of the North status" that we'd normally get and more than you'd expect from an Arsenal legend.

What on earth do you mean by closing down the oppositions defence in the later stages. Last five minutes or what ?

I'm saying he's useful tracking back since we play Murphy but he really shows his work rate by the amount of times he's been chasing down the opposition defence, even towards the latter stages of a game. That is real stamina/fitness. You follow?

Constant running in midfield including tracking back + closing down opposition defence, even in the latter stages of a game = stamina

Not everyone. Lowe will be appreciated by his team mates and his manager far more than the supporters. Current hate figures are Lowe and MGP and he joins a long list of players that have done the dirty work and not caught the eye. Rem some of our 'knowledgeable' supporters hounded the likes Sherwood, Carsley, Neill, Atkins, Wilcox etc mercilessly. .

The Wilcox thing always bugged me when I was a kid, I @#/? loved him and would be torn to shreds by peers and adults alike for it.

I remember wishing I was left-footed, so I could play as him in the playground.

I'm saying he's useful tracking back since we play Murphy but he really shows his work rate by the amount of times he's been chasing down the opposition defence, even towards the latter stages of a game. That is real stamina/fitness. You follow?

Constant running in midfield including tracking back + closing down opposition defence, even in the latter stages of a game = stamina

You say hes been that far up the field on the oppositions defence now thats something ive not seen Jason doing, being that far forward.

You say hes been that far up the field on the oppositions defence now thats something ive not seen Jason being, that far forward.

Then you haven't been paying attention. Usually a full back, but I've seen him do it in three different games at stages where you'd think he'd have nothing left.

I remember one in particular when it finally got the crowd going. He must have run about 30 or 40 yards to close down a full back and blocked the ball so it went for their throw in, pegging them in.

Anyway, I'm heading to sleep.

To finish on Williamson, if we put him in in place of Lowe then I fear for our creativity in the middle of the park. I'd like to see a battle between the two to partner Murphy. Both seem to have the fitness to play a role which can free Murphy up enough.

I remember one in particular when it finally got the crowd going. He must have run about 30 or 40 yards to close down a full back and blocked the ball so it went for their throw in, pegging them in.

To finish on Williamson, if we put him in in place of Lowe then I fear for our creativity in the middle of the park. I'd like to see a battle between the two to partner Murphy. Both seem to have the fitness to play a role which can free Murphy up enough.

Sweet dreams plastics you need it recharge those batteries.

You fear for our creativity if Lowe isn't in the team??

Archived