BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] BT /ESPN

not impressed with bt sport did not realise tv had to have Ethernet cable permanently attached and only 1 tv in the house can get it, so need an exceptionally long ethernet cable or move router that is too much hassle all the TV's in the house that are internet ready can't get it wirelessly...........crap idea, ill thought out farce none of this mentioned in adverts

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have purchased BT/ESPN channels now. Personally think Sky coverage of sport is excellent whether it Football, cricket, F1, Golf, etc and will take BT a long time to catch up to Sky Coverage of sport.

I have Sky full package with Sports and movies. I don't really watch BBC, ITV, channel 4 or 5 tbh now unless it is Match of the day/Football league Show/Champs League or a good TV drama/Documentary series. like watching Dave or MTV now.

Plus ESPN have lost NBA coverage this coming season but Sky have the rights now.

Still enjoy watch USA college Basketball on ESPN to see the rising stars and who could make NBA standards.

BT have French, German and Italian football coverage aswell so that's really why I bought it tbh.

To be fair, On/ITV Digital at the time were tapping into a tiny and technology lacking market. They had the tiny bit of digital space between all the analogue channels so very few people could actually get all the channels. They also didn't help themselves that they used terribly old encryption so those few people who could get it, could easily get it for free.

BT on the other hand now have a much bigger install base and a more mature broadband offering.

I had to comment on this as the ex manager of the conditional access system at ITV Digital! The encrytion system was great and was used widly over Europe.The system was hacked or cracked alegely by a company connected to sky that produced their own encription system apparently they were helping the priates crack the keys to the system. There is a documentory all about it online somewhere if I find it I will post it.

We never had the 'room' as Sky did so we could never offer the number of channels they could however we thought it was a good service and healthy competition for Sky. the whole thing turned into freeview once we went under and the scrambled MUX's where moved and made free to air. The whole thing fell appart due the the hacking and the fact we paid near as dam it 400 million (if I remember) for non premiership football.

It was a sad day switching the lights off, BT seem to has invested heavily and will look to retain broadband customers with the 'free' deal, they will lose money this year on the channels but save money on the number of new broadband customers.

I hope it works for them

not impressed with bt sport did not realise tv had to have Ethernet cable permanently attached and only 1 tv in the house can get it, so need an exceptionally long ethernet cable or move router that is too much hassle all the TV's in the house that are internet ready can't get it wirelessly...........crap idea, ill thought out farce none of this mentioned in adverts

You can watch it via your PC's or smartphones. Watched some baseball on my PC this morning, very good full screen picture.

You can get a ten metre cable from PC world. One TV - If your watching the same channel - share the telly. You can also watch via PC, Tablet and TV.

• 2 weeks later...

Plus ESPN have lost NBA coverage this coming season but Sky have the rights now.

Has this been confirmed Chaddy? I know NBA coverage was shared between ESPN and Sky last season and I was hoping that would continue next season.

I only have ESPN, no sky sports at all ... if i had to shell out an extra £20 per month for NBA I'd be gutted.

Thank god for that.

I took steps to ditch my Virgin account and move over to Sky last week, but when I realised Sky could only provide me with I meg broadband at my house, I called Virgin and re-negotiated my existing contract at a cheaper price, got upgraded to 60 meg broadband and am getting a free Tivo box.

Lucikly, I kept my XL TV package in the hope that BT Sport would be won and it has!

It was worth the wait.

Well done Virgin!

Watched part of Liverpool v Stoke and it seemed like a good service to me, commentators as daft as ever but one soon zones them out. Nice sharp picture.

Has this been confirmed Chaddy? I know NBA coverage was shared between ESPN and Sky last season and I was hoping that would continue next season.

I only have ESPN, no sky sports at all ... if i had to shell out an extra £20 per month for NBA I'd be gutted.

according to the BT person I spoke to when getting BT Sports and ESPN, I ask whether NBA would be on ESPN and he said that Sky have got the NBA rights.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived