BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] BT /ESPN

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

BT has the rights for all ESPN content Abbs so I presume it's all coming under the BT Sport umbrella

I'm a bit concerned that BT have overpaid as it hasn't worked out that well for the likes of Setanta in the past

As Tom says, BT have taken over ESPN and they will be part of one package. Will be inresting to see how much they charge. I love watching the European Leagues so will be subscribing as they will have almost all of the major European leagues (apart from La Liga): http://www.btlife.bt.com/entertainment/bt-group-acquires-espns-uk-and-ireland-television-channels-business/?s_intcid=con_intban_BTSport_BTLife_PR250213

Just had letter saying ESPN stops subby in July .. As long I get college footy and UFC I'm not arsed over prem though.

My sentiments also however last week Garry Cook said the UFC were close to announcing a deal with a major television company, or something of the sort. Maybe that's BT Sport I don't know but it could be SKY.

• Moderation Lead

As Tom says, BT have taken over ESPN and they will be part of one package. Will be inresting to see how much they charge. I love watching the European Leagues so will be subscribing as they will have almost all of the major European leagues (apart from La Liga): http://www.btlife.bt.com/entertainment/bt-group-acquires-espns-uk-and-ireland-television-channels-business/?s_intcid=con_intban_BTSport_BTLife_PR250213

Indeed- as long as I don't lose out on Serie A and Bundesliga it's happy days!

• Backroom

Bt may have pulled off a bit of a coup with the ESPN content although its not finalised yet but the Bundesliga may get a bit more high profile to casual fans after the events in the champions league

I was hoping BT could pick up some championship games but it doesn't seem an option

If its priced over £10 a month though it will be hard to be a success but at least we are giving it a proper go

Another worry is what platforms carry the channel, is it possible that the channels won't be available on sky? If so again that would mean instant failure IMO

Weird one that, Tom, given all the acrimony between the two and the fact that BT apparently aren't offering Sky products (the apparent cause of the acrimony).

Well Sky won't even advertise the BT service so I doubt they'll carry it.

Thing is there is apparently a satellite or two that sky use that is going out of orbit in the next couple of years or so and thus sky will then need BT more than BT needs sky .

Weird one that, Tom, given all the acrimony between the two and the fact that BT apparently aren't offering Sky products (the apparent cause of the acrimony).

When you have a sky land line what's first thing you need? A BT landline ;)

• Backroom

I think we can all agree a good starting point for BT would be to offer all its employees free BT sport

Well at least those hard working planner types

Thing is there is apparently a satellite or two that sky use that is going out of orbit in the next couple of years or so and thus sky will then need BT more than BT needs sky .

When you have a sky land line what's first thing you need? A BT landline ;)

Sky are in the landline rental game now anyway. Let's say everything goes high speed broadband (which it almost certainly will), are you suggesting that BT have the power (the cahoonies) to hold Sky to ransom over the cabling?

Now that would be an interesting fight!

• Backroom

Take it with a of a pinch of salt but Dave Meltzer (he's mainly a writer about wrestling entertainment but also blogs on UFC and well respected and connected) believes a deal is in place for BT to take it on until 2016

As it stands BT are taking on ESPN's content but I suppose there is room for deals to be struck independently

Espn classics is going as it moves to espn. Like others im more bothered about espn america and europeanfooty than the prem games.

I just hope that when you buy a subscription it is charged just once not like setanta was and you had to pay per box.

Karl Marx said "Religion is the opiate of the masses". Now I don't know whether all his brothers agreed with him but imo the more backward the religion the more accurate that statement is. In this country however that description has become more accurate when applied to football! Football really has become opium for the masses in the UK. Sorry but imo life is too short to watch everlasting meaningless matches. Get a life all you couch potatoes........... before obesity and heart disease gets you!

I work for BT... and although I don't know everything (waiting for training), BT sport is going to be really good value for money.

There is going to be plenty of top quality content, including ESPN (so all the good European stuff too).

I'm not 100% sure how it will be set up for Sky customers (cost wise anyway), but it will be available on Sky.

I'm at work right now, so I've to be careful about what I put on here, but I will give you guys all the details as soon as I can!!!

• Backroom

Bt sport have just tweeted pricing details

£15 a month standalone or free with Bt broadband or Bt infinity (which are only £10 or £15 monthly respectively)

£3 extra for HD But free for 12 months if signed up before August

http://bit.ly/12ihRSh

Archived