BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Turkey

Im off on a split holiday,week cruise and week all inc . The cruise goes to athens ,istanbul and a couple other places and then we have a week in Marmaris. Ive heard different views on taking money ,ive heard take cheques, take euros ,take stirling and take turkish lira(i think) .What is your experience on what to take.(1st time in Turkey)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most places these days I take only a small amount of money to get me going then I just use the ATM card. Unless you're trekking in the middle of nowhere there will always be an ATM machine within reach, that has included places I've been such as Bolivia and Cambodia so I'm sure it'll be the case with Turkey.

There are charges, however the exchange rate you get from an ATM is better than the exchange rate you get from travellers' cheques or from hard currency exchange back home so that makes up for some, if not all of the shortfall and for me at least it's a lot more convenient than lugging loads of money around with you at a time or having to cash in travellers cheques.

I went to India in December, cash machines are fine, you get charged a few £ for every withdrawl, but it's peanuts really.

Take a snorkel & flippers. The Med is brilliant for it. Have a good holiday.

You'll like Turkey. Good people and good food too. Take a few euros and use your cards when you can. Careful at the local markets though - there's plenty of rogues waiting to pounce on tourists.

We stayed at an hotel on the opposite side of the bay from Marmaris last year - about 20 minutes boat ride away. A few years back we had an apartment in Kalkan.

From our experience I would say the Turkish people are very kind and welcoming. Food is very good. My knowledge of Greek and Turkish history is very limited and when we went to Kalkan I was surprised to find you almost tripped over an ancient monument round every corner. Places and references I had vaguely heard of but knew little about.

We took the boat to Marmaris one night to visit the market. Huge market selling anything. Be prepared to haggle very hard and walk if you can't get the price you think is fair.

Go to a Turkish barber and have the works. I went every 2-3 days when we went to Kalkan. Fantastic shave and massage for 3-5. You come out smelling like a tart's boudoir though.

Visit an hamam and have the full body massage. Great experience.

When we stayed across the bay from Marmaris excursions were offered to all the "local" major tourist sites. We didn't go on one but spoke to several people who did. The general view was don't go, poor quality, too much time on coach etc. Take a look at the map, the advertised places are 1.5 or 2 hours away and cram in so much there is little time to do anything but be on the coach!

We plan to go back one day in early spring so we can tour the historical sites.

Money is simple. Take a card and Turkish lira or euros. We took lira because we have to change the money regardless. From what I remember sterling is accepted but I can't be sure. If you don't take currency the risk is being ripped off by an unofficial exchange rate.

Im off on a split holiday,week cruise and week all inc . The cruise goes to athens ,istanbul and a couple other places and then we have a week in Marmaris. Ive heard different views on taking money ,ive heard take cheques, take euros ,take stirling and take turkish lira(i think) .What is your experience on what to take.(1st time in Turkey)

Imodium

Years ago whilst in Rhodes got the boat over to Turkey for the day. The markets are fun, the trick is to act as if you aren't bothered about buying something (even if you really want it). One stall holder virtually threw a pair of jeans at me by the time we'd finished.

Getting a little beaded bracelet for my daughter a old fella was waiting behind me, I looked round and he was carrying a wad of Turkish Lira as thick as a house brick, when he got served he just had enough for twenty fags !

One other thing, walking through the market wearing the famous blue and white halves and hearing people shout 'Tugay' every ten seconds :)

That reminds me of our holiday in Kalkan. I lost my phone and wallet which were actually returned by a bus driver. Amazing.

I reported it to the police, some form of national service army unit in fact. Things didn't go to well until I was asked if I knew Manchester United. I explained we lived near Blackburn and said Tugay played for us. Suddenly I was like a long lost brother. It was fantastic.

Thanks Tugs

• 3 weeks later...

You might want to keep a close eye on the Foreign Office travel advice. People who willing travel to areas which the FO have advised against will find their travel insurance is void. Istanbul is not in the red or orange zone at present. I don't know the implications of travel in the green zone. No idea if cruises count unless you land.

We are aware of the current situation in Istanbul, Turkey and we can assure you all of our Turkish resorts remain safe and unaffected by the unrest. Please be assured that the safety of our customers is our first priority, and we’ll be working closely with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to monitor the situation.

Please rest assured that customer safety is our number one priority.

Trenny

I have been to Turkey many many times. The people are great the food and beer a treat. Don't take loads of Euros, there is a shortage of coins throughout the whole of Europe in general and prices are being rounded up. Take the sun cream as its roastio. Enjoy the boat trip, they are fantastic and a pleasure on flat warm seas.

• 2 months later...

We stayed at an hotel on the opposite side of the bay from Marmaris last year - about 20 minutes boat ride away. A few years back we had an apartment in Kalkan. From our experience I would say the Turkish people are very kind and welcoming. Food is very good. My knowledge of Greek and Turkish history is very limited and when we went to Kalkan I was surprised to find you almost tripped over an ancient monument round every corner. Places and references I had vaguely heard of but knew little about. We took the boat to Marmaris one night to visit the market. Huge market selling anything. Be prepared to haggle very hard and walk if you can't get the price you think is fair. Go to a Turkish barber and have the works. I went every 2-3 days when we went to Kalkan. Fantastic shave and massage for 3-5. You come out smelling like a tart's boudoir though. Visit an hamam and have the full body massage. Great experience. When we stayed across the bay from Marmaris excursions were offered to all the "local" major tourist sites. We didn't go on one but spoke to several people who did. The general view was don't go, poor quality, too much time on coach etc. Take a look at the map, the advertised places are 1.5 or 2 hours away and cram in so much there is little time to do anything but be on the coach! We plan to go back one day in early spring so we can tour the historical sites. Money is simple. Take a card and Turkish lira or euros. We took lira because we have to change the money regardless. From what I remember sterling is accepted but I can't be sure. If you don't take currency the risk is being ripped off by an unofficial exchange rate.I

I hate you hahahaha ,had a shave and got waxed and set on fire lol.

Amazng holiday ,thanks everyones advice.

there was a bar owner who asked where i was from, i said near manchester ,he said manchester sucks its all about blackburn and tugay haha .I never mentioned rovers until then and he claimed he was tugays cousin . I will add a photo of him at some point,he was actually spit of tugay.No idea if he was .

Question ..

Not a race debate fuelled one .

Why do Muslims in Blackburn wear full body clothes ? Yet in Turkey , a Muslim country the women don't wear anything like that ? I saw a few scarves being worn and on the beach skimpy costumes ?off the beach the local women all got dressed up withdrew up etc and lots wore shorts. Lots of men drink Efes ?

Question ..

Not a race debate fuelled one .

Why do Muslims in Blackburn wear full body clothes ? Yet in Turkey , a Muslim country the women don't wear anything like that ? I saw a few scarves being worn and on the beach skimpy costumes ?off the beach the local women all got dressed up withdrew up etc and lots wore shorts. Lots of men drink Efes ?

Turkey is very westernised now. Not what it used to be like. If you go to the local parts of Turkey, not the tourist attractions (which I presume you visited), you will find many women dress up similar to those in Blackburn. Drinking is forbidden in our religion, those that do are doing it on their own accord. No special rules for the Turks I'm afraid.

In my experience outside the tourist areas, especially to some of the more remote places, as we did a few years ago you'll find more traditional dress, some very traditional. As I recall the majority of the women covered their heads but it can be a coloured scarf rather than the hijab. If you visit major cities you'll find the majority of women do not cover their heads

Archived