BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Gary Bowyer Thread

Majiball

It's pretty obvious you have a problem with Bowyer as you never stop making derogatory comments and snide asides about his ability to manage or your perception of his alleged inability to attract a suitable level of player or spend a budget properly.

Derogatory comments and snide asides about Bowyer Rev? No Rev, they are viewpoints - and viewpoints that I still wonder about. I don't remember saying anything derogatory or snide about him. If you need to look at those type of comments, then take a look at the MGP thread and read what you posted about him.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand why you would exercise caution about mullering 10 man Barnsley but the Bolton performance wad an excellent one imo whatever level you look at it at.

Don't understand those comments Rev. Rovers played well against both teams, but why is it wrong to point out that Bolton are bottom of the league?

Don't understand those comments Rev. Rovers played well against both teams, but why is it wrong to point out that Bolton are bottom of the league?

It's not our problem Bolton had got off to a slow start, in my view we made Bolton look poor and actually sent them bottom because we played so well. I actually think Bolton are a decent outfit who will finish fairly well placed at the end of the season but of course that remains to be seen.

It would however be possible to make up an excuse after every game as to why beating x, y or z didn't really count if one was determined enough not to give any credit. Not saying you yourself have done that specifically but it does appear you don't think GB should be in the role and as I've remarked previously a section of fans seem loath to give Bowyer any credit whatsoever.

It's not our problem Bolton had got off to a slow start, in my view we made Bolton look poor and actually sent them bottom because we played so well. I actually think Bolton are a decent outfit who will finish fairly well placed at the end of the season but of course that remains to be seen.

It would however be possible to make up an excuse after every game as to why beating x, y or z didn't really count if one was determined enough not to give any credit. Not saying you yourself have done that specifically but it does appear you don't think GB should be in the role and as I've remarked previously a section of fans seem loath to give Bowyer any credit whatsoever.

Just like the section of fans who gave Pedersen no credit whatsoever. Pots and kettles all round Ewood.

but it does appear you don't think GB should be in the role

Psychic or what? I've said all along that seeing this season is the last season of parachute payments, hence likely that this will be our best chance of going back up for possibly a long time, that in my opinion the owners should at the very least, taken a look at all options and sounded out a few potential candidates. I really don't see how you think that's an odd stance.

a section of fans seem loath to give Bowyer any credit whatsoever.

I don't think that's true at all Rev, but all I see from your posting history is hypocrisy. Anti trust, anti JW & TF, anti SAM ALLARDYCE , anti MGP and anti everything pre Venky's. none of that mattered then seemingly.

I don't think that's true at all Rev, but all I see from your posting history is hypocrisy. Anti trust, anti JW & TF, anti SAM ALLARDYCE , anti MGP and anti everything pre Venky's. none of that mattered then seemingly.

All I see from your posting history in recent times is someone who has an agenda against me, someone who won't accept any criticism whatsoever of the regime pre Venky's and someone who won't can't accept that anything good could ever happen post Venky's hence your snide comments about Bowyer and continuing unfair criticism of Rhodes.

My main complaint about the previous regime was with the Trust and their lack of financial support. As far as JW and SA were concerned I tried to give credit where it was due and vice versa.

I don't expect you to agree and given the one dinensional and blinkered nature of your recent contributions I don't care. I note I'm not the only one to have noted the negativity of your recent output.

I will just completely ignore your future postings from now on no matter how many times you insult me because it's not fair to bore the rest of the board with any ongoing issue you appear to have with me or my response to that.

Psychic or what? I've said all along that seeing this season is the last season of parachute payments, hence likely that this will be our best chance of going back up for possibly a long time, that in my opinion the owners should at the very least, taken a look at all options and sounded out a few potential candidates. I really don't see how you think that's an odd stance.

Den, you know this is common sense. As do I. My feeling however is we had been so badly damaged with five in charge last year that a return to normality and decency was key. The football had almost stopped mattering as we nose dived through gross negligence.

I honestly do not think the conditions were in place for a new guy to prosper quickly and re-building would have to take place whoever was in charge. If re-building using younger players then GB remains a suitable choice.

Den, you know this is common sense. As do I. My feeling however is we had been so badly damaged with five in charge last year that a return to normality and decency was key. The football had almost stopped mattering as we nose dived through gross negligence.

I honestly do not think the conditions were in place for a new guy to prosper quickly and re-building would have to take place whoever was in charge. If re-building using younger players then GB remains a suitable choice.

There is an argument for saying Bowyer earned his chance after his performance last season. If he was getting the job full time with no previous experience at all i'd agree that would be very odd.

It's also imo one thing being sceptical about his appointment before the off. It's a little different remaining churlish and refuding to give any credit when he starts to do well.

All that said I still think it's too early to draw any firm conclusions either way.

That's ok, I can quite easily accept that. I think any club has the responsibility to look around and get the best they can - for any post within the club, not just the manager. It could be that Bowyer was the best candidate, but we'll never know now, will we?

There is an argument for saying Bowyer earned his chance after his performance last season. If he was getting the job full time with no previous experience at all i'd agree that would be very odd.

It's also imo one thing being sceptical about his appointment before the off. It's a little different remaining churlish and refuding to give any credit when he starts to do well.

All that said I still think it's too early to draw any firm conclusions either way.

It was a tricky one Rev. Recruit someone brand new but reasonably established and force him to downsize the squad and shop for bargains, or trust in someone who had already done well, from a Rovers and footballing background, who displays a lot of maturity, class and common sense and is used to working with younger players as standard.

I believe we made the sensible choice at the time. Hard to quantify how low we had sunk and one of the reasons for the mood change is the quality and pride of the man we have in charge now.

All I see from your posting history in recent times is someone who has an agenda against me, someone who won't accept any criticism whatsoever of the regime pre Venky's and someone who won't can't accept that anything good could ever happen post Venky's hence your snide comments about Bowyer and continuing unfair criticism of Rhodes.

My main complaint about the previous regime was with the Trust and their lack of financial support. As far as JW and SA were concerned I tried to give credit where it was due and vice versa.

I don't expect you to agree and given the one dinensional and blinkered nature of your recent contributions I don't care. I note I'm not the only one to have noted the negativity of your recent output.

I will just completely ignore your future postings from now on no matter how many times you insult me because it's not fair to bore the rest of the board with any ongoing issue you appear to have with me or my response to that.

Oh dear toys well and truly well and out of the pram.

Most people will see then irony of you calling a poster "one-dimensional and blinkered" given your constant sniping at Pedersen and Allardyce.

Most people will see then irony of you calling a poster "one-dimensional and blinkered" given your constant sniping at Pedersen and Allardyce.[/quote

You've been acting in far more insulting manner towards me than den for ages as well but as your general role is often that of board troll it's impossible to take genuine umbrage at or take anything you say seriously.

Most people will see then irony of you calling a poster "one-dimensional and blinkered" given your constant sniping at Pedersen and Allardyce.[/quote

You've been acting in far more insulting manner towards me than den for ages as well but as your general role is often that of board troll it's impossible to take genuine umbrage at or take anything you say seriously.

-------------------

Pointing out how you were vociferously against Williams, the trust and Allardyce, yet can't accept any criticisms of this current state of affairs isn't insulting Rev. It's baffling. Anyhow, if you are insulted, then you have my full apologies. Genuinely.

ame="RevidgeBlue" post="1448455" timestamp="1378910512"]

-------------------

Pointing out how you were vociferously against Williams, the trust and Allardyce, yet can't accept any criticisms of this current state of affairs isn't insulting Rev. It's baffling. Anyhow, if you are insulted, then you have my full apologies. Genuinely.

Thank you den, much appreciated.

Off topic I genuinely feel

a) Pedersen did not give of anything like his best during his final 5 or 6 years here. My opinion of him begins and ends with my view of his performances on the pitch and is not in any way personal despite the fact a few posters seem to view it that way.

B) Trust ownership of the Club is a bad idea because no-one has yet demonstrated that it would have the wherewithal to either service the Club's debts or finance it on an ongoing basis. I have repeatedly stated that I don't doubt the good intentions of those involved.

I too apologise to you if you feel I have been unfair towards you and once again thanks for the apology on your part. No doubt we will continue to disagree on footballing matters from time to time but can do it without being disagreeable.

Thought it was 4 years at 16 + 16 + 8 + 8.

Could even be more with the new Sky/BT deal.

That was my understanding also.

We're in the second year at 16m. 2 more at 8m to follow after this one.

What it is now is irrelevant to us I'd imagine. Maybe what my newly rediscovered chum den meant was that it was the final year of maximum parachute payments.

Friends again? ;)

May I ask how can MGP not be giving his best playing for Rovers in the Premiership? You must understand the standard. You think he still got games not giving 100%? Must be some player. What about his Pro Zone stats? Relevant?

Just curious, not niggling. I know you've done it to death.

Friends again? ;)

May I ask how can MGP not be giving his best playing for Rovers in the Premiership? You must understand the standard. You think he still got games not giving 100%? Must be some player. What about his Pro Zone stats? Relevant?

Just curious, not niggling. I know you've done it to death.

Hope so.

I don't want to reopen the MGP debate on this thread, but it's my view of him having observed him from the stands over 6 seasons. Having seen him when he was playing well I think he was capable of much better.

Stats can be manipulated any way you please. How good are his pass completion stats? (Genuine question, I don't know.)

Pointing out how you were vociferously against Williams, the trust and Allardyce, yet can't accept any criticisms of this current state of affairs isn't insulting Rev. It's baffling.

Not trying to take sides here because Revidge isn't the only one who's seemed that way inclined of late but I have to say it is baffling, massively baffling.

The old regime, who's major players included the Trust, Williams, Finn, Souness, Hughes and Allardyce, presided over (I would argue) the greatest achievement in the club's history. Keeping a club as tiny as Rovers in the PL for over a decade, with an ever-diminishing pot of cash from Jack to help do it, and in the by then massively unequal PL filled with super-rich mega-clubs, was in my opinion a more difficult achievement than what we managed in the 90s. A major trophy, 6 top half finishes, 6 cup semi-finals and 4 European campaigns. What a golden age, what a phenomenal performance at board, managerial and player level, what a time to be a Rovers fan.

The new regime - flirting with PL relegation immediately, beaten by a Championship side in a quarter final, relegation on a pathetic 31 points, flirting with relegation the first season in the Championship, a string of poor managers, the firesale of 90% of our high earners, the reduction of Rovers to, in all respects, a mid-table Championship club.

And yet somehow, unbelievably, there are some fans who moaned more back then than they do now. Not only that, they don't even like anyone else moaning now. Maybe there's some psychological explanation for it but I'm damned if I know what it is.

Archived