BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Gary Bowyer Thread

Majiball

Loved Savage as a player but his opinions on football matters have to be taken with a pinch of salt. This is the guy who backed Kean, wanted him gone, then after a few wins backed him again and then when we finally got rid of him thought it was harsh. The guy changes his opinions like the wind.

I haven't seen enough to judge whether Bowyer was a right appointment or not, 5 games and 7 points certainly isn't enough to analyse. For the fickle it might be but that's their prerogative.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

I wouldn't worry too much about what Savage says. He often just says things to get people calling in and therefore justifying his radio show.

As for GB, it's early days, but there have been improvements since the Doncaster away debacle, but defensively we look a bit suspect still.

I wouldn't worry too much about what Savage says. He often just says things to get people calling in and therefore justifying his radio show.

As for GB, it's early days, but there have been improvements since the Doncaster away debacle, but defensively we look a bit suspect still.

Savage is just an attention seeker, who blows with the wind.

As regards Bowyer, his demeanour is a key reason for my decision to renew after last season's boycott. I wanted to back him.

Reasonably fair assessment Blue Blood, but the one thing way above average that Bowyer has managed already was keeping a group of players devoid of confidence, ability and ideas up last season relatively safely.

All else follows from there and he deserves his chance.

I have a problem with this " deserves a chance" idea. We're a professional football club who should strive to be the best we possibly can. Rovers should have looked long and hard and gone for the best we could attract. You don't just give it to someone who deserves a chance.

• Backroom

I have a problem with this " deserves a chance" idea. We're a professional football club who should strive to be the best we possibly can. Rovers should have looked long and hard and gone for the best we could attract. You don't just give it to someone who deserves a chance.

Eh? We've been bloody amateur for 3 years.

Fully agree in normal circumstances. Also should have said 'earnt' his chance.

Keeping us up was vital and he achieved that. What more could he have done? All things considered I thought it was the right decision. As much for decency as anything else. Nice to have some transparency, honesty and common sense available to us all at last. I wish him well and have high hopes for him.

The "team GB" thing, who gives a toss, some people will find the most irrelevant things to whinge about.

Thanks for grouping me with whinging lot. I'm not whinging about it at all, my opinion is... It's a bit cringe worthy. Like a Mark Lawrenson pun.

I don't even think the announcer said it against Bolton did he? Don't think he said it against Barnsley either.

Pretty sure he said it against Barnsley as I remember my face creasing.

Thanks for grouping me with whinging lot. I'm not whinging about it at all, my opinion is... It's a bit cringe worthy. Like a Mark Lawrenson pun.

Pretty sure he said it against Barnsley as I remember my face creasing.

Fair enough, I remember being surprised not hearing against Bolton though. I prefer them to be announced Blackburn Rovers than Team GB.

The team has a shape, is interchangeable everyone seems willing to play for one another.

Unfortunately the calibre of player seems to be holding Gary Bowyer back from achieving anything with Rovers if this drastically improved then who knows but for now its an handicap.

He loves to pigeon hole people Neal even though it was meerly a dislike of a phrase and not a moan. We will always be the Rovers and not Tean bliddy Jee Bee

Savage is just an attention seeker, who blows with the wind.

Or alternatively he works in the media and its his job to express his opinion on things. On top of his key role in our best side under Hughes and the fact that he's taken a club into his heart that he was only at for less than a fifth of his career, he was also a very outspoken critic of Venkys at a time when many ex-players chose to support or ignore them.

Its amazing how a few positive words about Kean seem to be able to wipe out far more important things that people have done for the good of the club, I suppose Dunny would agree with me there as well.

Whilst I agree on Sav, Dunny has been pretty derogatory towards our fans on many an occasion, he even once came on here I believe (or made some comment about those that do)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=david+dunn+blackburn+fans&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=OnIvUqa6GenV0QWynICoDg

The team has a shape, is interchangeable everyone seems willing to play for one another.

Unfortunately the calibre of player seems to be holding Gary Bowyer back from achieving anything with Rovers if this drastically improved then who knows but for now its an handicap.

are you taking the mick or something???

You have bought in players who know this league and few players who have experience of getting promotion from this league like DJ, Evans and Cairney.

he has bought in the manager he wants and I'm happy with most of the signings. Players like Marshall and Cairney are quality signings. Spurr so far has look the best signing and we finally have a proper left back at club.

Also can we stop mention Steve Kean name. he's left the building now. so can we just forget about it.

• Backroom

Whilst I agree on Sav, Dunny has been pretty derogatory towards our fans on many an occasion, he even once came on here I believe (or made some comment about those that do)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=david+dunn+blackburn+fans&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=OnIvUqa6GenV0QWynICoDg

Most modern day footballers hate the fans to be fair, it isn't uncommon. Can't say I blame him considering some of the comments on here :lol: (myself included)

It's pretty obvious you have a problem with Bowyer as you never stop making derogatory comments and snide asides about his ability to manage or your perception of his alleged inability to attract a suitable level of player or spend a budget properly.

As for saying "You dont just give it to someone who deserves a chance" what absolute nonsense. Of course you do in general terms.

Whether Bowyer deserved the chance is a valid topic for debate. I think you could argue that when he first took over in a caretaker role he didn't necessarily deserve it as such, he only got it on the basis he was last man standing. Thereafter imo he did an outstanding job in his first caretaker stint and should have been given the job until the end of the season instead of bringing in the hapless Appleton.

His second spell was less impressive but that was perhaps fairly predictable given rhe state Appleton left us in.

This season we've had two fairly decent performances in the opening 2 games, an absolute shocker against Doncaster and two outstanding performances in the last two games. It's too early to make any definitive judgments either way but there are some very encouraging signs both that Bowyer may have made some very astute additions to the squad and engendered an excellent team spirit after managing to offload some overpaid underachievers.

Interesting. So far I'd say Bowyer is average with a lot of promise.

So far we've won two games well - for which Bowyer should be applauded. However, there were mitigating circumstances: Barnsley's 10 men, and a Bolton team with injuries and in a horrible run of form. Credit for putting both to the sword, but neither team will provide the toughest test of this division.

I can understand why you would exercise caution about mullering 10 man Barnsley but the Bolton performance wad an excellent one imo whatever level you look at it at.

He loves to pigeon hole people Neal even though it was meerly a dislike of a phrase and not a moan. We will always be the Rovers and not Tean bliddy Jee Bee

I really do love it, it gives me so much joy!

back to reality, where have I specifically pigeon holed Neal, I was referring to the GB (non)issue in general.

Or alternatively he works in the media and its his job to express his opinion on things. On top of his key role in our best side under Hughes and the fact that he's taken a club into his heart that he was only at for less than a fifth of his career, he was also a very outspoken critic of Venkys at a time when many ex-players chose to support or ignore them.

Its amazing how a few positive words about Kean seem to be able to wipe out far more important things that people have done for the good of the club, I suppose Dunny would agree with me there as well.

No. No..No!. My comments had absolutely nothing to do with his playing contribution.I thank him for that.

I have listened tothe pattern of him talking over callers on what is supposed to be a fans phone in. He is too much a D list celebrity and too little a purveyor of considered view.

Also, I haven't liked some of his lazy, un-thought- through comments about Rovers over the last few years.He didn't know about Kean and so shouldn't have shot his mouth off...It was a particularly vulnerable time for the club and we deserved more. Thank God for Henry Winter...

And so it should. Kean was poison and its was apologists like Savage and Dunn who allowed him extra time to coarse through Rovers' viens.

No, it shouldn't. Hence me saying Savage (and Dunn) have done things far more important for Rovers than some insignificant comments supporting Kean. Nothing anyone said about Kean made any difference to his length of time here except for Shebby Singh and possibly the fans increasing calls for a mass boycott. How you can seriously think Venkys listen to anything going on in the wider world of football is beyond me given what we know about them and their constantly ludicrous decisions. They didn't give 2 hoops who John Williams thought should be their manager, never mind Robbie Savage.

Just winds me up all this. Players like Orr or Murphy disrespect the fans and they go crazy. Players like Savage and Pedersen massively respect the fans and are shown no appreciation for it whatsoever from some. Makes us look like c**** frankly.

• Backroom

No, it shouldn't. Hence me saying Savage (and Dunn) have done things far more important for Rovers than some insignificant comments supporting Kean. Nothing anyone said about Kean made any difference to his length of time here except for Shebby Singh and possibly the fans increasing calls for a mass boycott. How you can seriously think Venkys listen to anything going on in the wider world of football is beyond me given what we know about them and their constantly ludicrous decisions. They didn't give 2 hoops who John Williams thought should be their manager, never mind Robbie Savage.

Just winds me up all this. Players like Orr or Murphy disrespect the fans and they go crazy. Players like Savage and Pedersen massively respect the fans and are shown no appreciation for it whatsoever from some. Makes us look like c**** frankly.

Absolutely agreed.

Archived