BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Gary Bowyer Thread

Majiball

Well here it is, we've had the Kean thread, Appleton and Berg and after much to do, finally we have one for Bowyer.

Anyway below is an article from an ex rover on why Bowyers the man for the job:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn_rovers/news/10662692._/

You've got to love the logic at the end of the article.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's not put a foot wrong so far. Signed his own players, hasn't come out with any major outlandish statements, got rid of the deadwood/people that didn't want to be here/players he didn't fancy, and we're playing well.

For now, he's brilliant.

Well here it is, we've had the Kean thread, Appleton and Berg and after much to do, finally we have one for Bowyer.

Anyway below is an article from an ex rover on why Bowyers the man for the job:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn_rovers/news/10662692._/

You've got to love the logic at the end of the article.

Aaaah, if only it was anyone but Robbie 'Sack Kean/Back Kean/Sack Kean/Back Kean' Savage.

Aaaah, if only it was anyone but Robbie 'Sack Kean/Back Kean/Sack Kean/Back Kean' Savage.

Given 7 points from 5 games has half our fans hailing the messiah, I think we can cut Robbie some slack.

Least we forget this is the dude who thinks blackburn is nearer wales than birmingham. Although jose won't like it 'the special one' is definitly from Wales.

I like Sav, thinks he is just honest in how he sees Bowyer. I do not expect promotion this season, but a good solid top 10 finish would be decent. Its just important that we keep Bowyer if we do well, and he continues to build for a really strong push. I think I'm going in conservatively despite the solid start.

• Backroom

We're not Team GB or 'Team' anything else... we're Blackburn Rovers Football Club!

Surely you know it's an affectionate nickname for our squad (under Gary Bowyer) based on the feel-good factor of supporting Great Britain in the olympics?

Not sure what there is to get narky about.

Still not convinced either way with Bowyer. I supported him getting the job in the summer on the basis that I was terrified of the prospect of Shagnew or Singh picking someone. But take his initial short spell out and his record has been average. I suppose what's hard to say is whether average has been good or bad (or average) given the circumstances of chaotic upper level management and general club disharmony, but with a talented set of players at his disposal.

I will nail my colours to the mast and I really couldn't give a toss if sometime in the future some smart arse drags this up from the archives to say 'I told you so'. I like Bowyer and I was happy with his appointment despite his rookie status. He will undoubtedly make mistakes along the way, but after what has become of the club I'm delighted with his appointment and his performance thus far.

I will nail my colours to the mast and I really couldn't give a toss if sometime in the future some smart arse drags this up from the archives to say 'I told you so'. I like Bowyer and I was happy with his appointment despite his rookie status. He will undoubtedly make mistakes along the way, but after what has become of the club I'm delighted with his appointment and his performance thus far.

We didnt really have an alternatives did we? He deserved a shot at it after holding the fort but whether he has what it takes over a period of time remains to be seen. He is in fact a rookie manager in a club that has scaled itself down by virtue of the owners and a 3 year sequence of horrific decisions. The club remains in the mire financially and continues to bleed cash yet for what we are spending on our squads wages we should be walking the league. I would rather Bowyer had gone down the quality rather than quantity route TBH and signed 3 crackers than 8 or 9 also rans .

but its very early days and he deserves our backing whilst trying to do a job for us.We have 3 out of the next 4 away, the next 2 of which at Burnley and Leicester will be tough .If at the end of thsoe 4 we are within touching distance of the top 6 then maybe we can think about better days ahead.

• Backroom

Same here, although I wouldn't go as far as to say delighted yet... I'm contented with how he's started. I've definitely got confidence in him to keep us clear of relegation, which I was genuinely concerned about before the season began and to an extent still am.

We didnt really have an alternatives did we? He deserved a shot at it after holding the fort but whether he has what it takes over a period of time remains to be seen. He is in fact a rookie manager in a club that has scaled itself down by virtue of the owners and a 3 year sequence of horrific decisions. The club remains in the mire financially and continues to bleed cash yet for what we are spending on our squads wages we should be walking the league. I would rather Bowyer had gone down the quality rather than quantity route TBH and signed 3 crackers than 8 or 9 also rans .

but its very early days and he deserves our backing whilst trying to do a job for us.We have 3 out of the next 4 away, the next 2 of which at Burnley and Leicester will be tough .If at the end of thsoe 4 we are within touching distance of the top 6 then maybe we can think about better days ahead.

With our owners we always had a choice. Imo it seems likely the choice was as it ever was with them. 1) the sensible choice or 2) the crazy choice. This time, for some strange reason they chose the correct one. And for this reason I am pleased. Honestly, would it have surprised you if they had appointed say Carlos Valderrama or Jeff Stelling? Bowyer was (not mutually exclusive) the correct choice and he has to date done a good job.

Oh and DE, yeah I probably over egged it with 'delighted' but you get my point..

• Backroom

He's doing ok but seems to be going about it in a decent enough manner

I think he'll have us as a solid mid table team with a outside shot at 6th place

He seems to be setting up more to Rhodes strengths in the last couple of home games but how we do away will be interesting so far we have had a great first half at derby followed by woeful stuff at Carlisle and a loss at Doncaster

His signing for the most part have looked uninspired but Spurr and a couple of the midfield lads look like great acquisitions and the rest look like decent squad players

He also seems really likeable

Verdict - so far very happy with him but a note of caution you are only as good as the table shows so we will have to assess again

Nobody says it though - it's something made up by Gerald and co as someone else said to reflect the feelgood factor of the olympics, i.e. look how well the real one's done. Now we have our own so let's hope it does as well as the Olympic one did" It's a bit of tongue in cheek plus possibly a bit of psychology - being associated with success can encourage us to become successful. There must be something in ti or why would firms spend so much time and money on rebranding and updating their logos etc. Having said that to fans they are Rovers.

I like Bowyer and I was happy with his appointment despite his rookie status. He will undoubtedly make mistakes along the way, but after what has become of the club I'm delighted with his appointment and his performance thus far.

I'm very happy with Bowyer appointment and performance so far. Most of the signings have so far been good. Of course, any manager makes mistakes during the term as manager but its how you don't make the same mistakes after them.

I love Gary Bowyer, got a great nature about him and just looks and speaks like a terrific guy. Promising manager too.

Bowyer didn't go over board after the 2 last wins and he just remain calm and focuses on the next game.

He always proved in the last game that he is tactical aware when he took off Dunn and bring Evans on to make us more solid in the middle. Bolton were winning the midfielder battle second half but after the change we winning back the midfield battle.

Bowyer is building a young squad but most of signings have played Championship and understand what it is about in this league.

Interesting. So far I'd say Bowyer is average with a lot of promise.

Now before going in to it, that's a hell of a lot better than what we've had. I'll also state that I know it'll take time to get Rovers back in a promising position - if it's possible at all. And there are signs of promise - but I don't think we can say that Bowyer is the real deal or a good manager as yet.

So far we've won two games well - for which Bowyer should be applauded. However, there were mitigating circumstances: Barnsley's 10 men, and a Bolton team with injuries and in a horrible run of form. Credit for putting both to the sword, but neither team will provide the toughest test of this division.

Incidentally in the tougher games, Derby away and Forrest home, we've got just one point from them, albeit with one good performance. (Am going with a bad day at the office vs. Donny). When we start being highly competitive , and picking up points against the bigger teams, then we may start to say that Bowyer is the real deal. Until then, Bowyer, like this Rovers team remains promising.

Incidentally same with signings - at this stage of last season Etuhu looked a good buy! Again, we're going to have to wait till a bit further down the road to say for certain which players are good signings. However, on early form, a few look to be good - Spurr seems a great piece of business, and although I've not seen masses of him I really think Evans will be just what we need. Others I remain unconvinced by on current performances: Judge, Marrow and Taylor whilst Kane and Cairney have been inconsistent. Indeed, all could turn out to be astute signings, however I think that will be shown over the coming months.

Guess this is a long winded way of saying I think Bowyer is doing a decent job but think all those saying they are very happy/delighted are jumping the gun. Would love them to be proved correct though.

Interesting. So far I'd say Bowyer is average with a lot of promise.

Now before going in to it, that's a hell of a lot better than what we've had. I'll also state that I know it'll take time to get Rovers back in a promising position - if it's possible at all. And there are signs of promise - but I don't think we can say that Bowyer is the real deal or a good manager as yet.

So far we've won two games well - for which Bowyer should be applauded. However, there were mitigating circumstances: Barnsley's 10 men, and a Bolton team with injuries and in a horrible run of form. Credit for putting both to the sword, but neither team will provide the toughest test of this division.

Incidentally in the tougher games, Derby away and Forrest home, we've got just one point from them, albeit with one good performance. (Am going with a bad day at the office vs. Donny). When we start being highly competitive , and picking up points against the bigger teams, then we may start to say that Bowyer is the real deal. Until then, Bowyer, like this Rovers team remains promising.

Incidentally same with signings - at this stage of last season Etuhu looked a good buy! Again, we're going to have to wait till a bit further down the road to say for certain which players are good signings. However, on early form, a few look to be good - Spurr seems a great piece of business, and although I've not seen masses of him I really think Evans will be just what we need. Others I remain unconvinced by on current performances: Judge, Marrow and Taylor whilst Kane and Cairney have been inconsistent. Indeed, all could turn out to be astute signings, however I think that will be shown over the coming months.

Guess this is a long winded way of saying I think Bowyer is doing a decent job but think all those saying they are very happy/delighted are jumping the gun. Would love them to be proved correct though.

I think that's fair. It's very early days. The good performances have been very good - but against a very poor Barnsley team and a bottom of the league Bolton side. The Derby game we played well enough, but I said at the time that Derby looked poor - illustrated by their 3-0 home defeat by the Dingles. Good teams don't lose 3-0 at home very often. We had a very poor performance at Doncaster, a team who have four points so far - three of them against us.

To me, our biggest problems are still defensive. We always look likely to concede and until we overcome that, it will be difficult to progress. Still, an improvement on last season so far.

Archived