BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Christmas Trip 25/12-30/12

Hi All....Booked our trip to England between christmas and new year, arriving on 25 and going home on 30th. So Sheffield and Birmingham will be watched but thats not the priority numero uno for the wife, so whats up in the region regarding shopping and dining during those days?? Any help are welcome...

Well if you are around Brum, you can try out what's called the 'Balti Triangle' for a curry, or the China Town area for Chinese food. There's an aquarium somewhere as well if that's your thing. You could also get a train and go to the Coventry Transport Museum if you like cars. It has a few Formula one cars, the really old stuff etc. And then you can get the number 4 bus that stops off at the Ricoh Stadium if you want to point and laugh at a very empty football stadium that still has the Coventry City crest on it. Oh, and you'll feel at home, as Coventry has a massive IKEA. You end up spending a day trying to get out though.

As you can tell, my travel advice is usually rubbish.

Are you going to have transport?

If so, get over to the trafford centre for a shopping trip, be warned, boxing day etc will be really busy there!

It has decent enough places to eat as well, if youre bringing kids there are arcades and things to do with them also...

• Moderation Lead

I'd recommend hiring a car! For shopping I'd go to the Trafford Centre (free parking, though I imagine it will be silly busy over Christmas, Manchester itself, the Ribble Valley and Trough of Bowland if you want some countryside.

Also worth mentioning the Christmas Markets at Manchester are always worth a look,they really put you in the festive mood (especially if you're on the mulled wine ;) )

I think the Christmas markets will have ended by the time he arrives on 25th. They are always enjoyable though!!

If you have the time and inclination you can get to London quite easily on the train. Blackburn to Preston takes about 15-20 minutes, then straight from Preston to London in just over 2 hours.

You can usually get cheap-ish tickets if you book nice and early and avoid the peak times. Edinburgh is also only just over 2 hours from Preston if you fancy going north of the border.

Don't tell your wife too much though or she will want you to miss the football !!

Don't even think about a night out in Blackburn town centre. Such a thing no longer exists. It's been killed off by reasons of demography and the death of the cotton industry. If you do want to pass an hour or two then go to the market.

If you are staying in and around Blackburn then unless you want a pound shop or you want to swap a video game shop in Bolton, Preston or Manchester (city infinitely preferable to the Trafford centre for character and atmosphere but the Trafford is prob better for practicality). Eat in the Ribble Valley. There is an awesome choice of excellent eateries / restaurants / gastropubs within a £10 taxi ride of Blackburn centre.

Don't even think about a night out in Blackburn town centre.

Eat in the Ribble Valley.

Haha, tried that a few years back and would not do it again, pubs great but nightclub was nightmare.

If in Ribble Valley where do i stay? Been thinkin that i could surprise the lady with two nights in some nice cozy hotel outside Blackburn, whats the best option as long as there is a decent pub close and not some fancy wine bar.

There are quite a few options if you want a place out in theRibble Valley that has nice food, beer and accommodation. Spread Eagle at Sawley, Calf's Head at Worston or even The Inn at Whitewell (bit more remote) to name just three.

Problem is that they are all pretty much on their own with no other pubs around.

Whalley and Clitheroe both have accommodation and a selection of pubs / restaurants and both are on the direct train line from Blackburn.

Other possibilities (without train stations but you can get to by bus) are Waddington and Hurst Green - they are smaller villages but each have 3 or 4 pubs with accommodation.

• 4 weeks later...

Just go to the airport desk for taxi's. That's what I usually do and get charged around £45. No need to bother with other firms booking etc.

Ok i will check that thanks.

I love how they call that Blackburn Central!!!

That is like Sweden then, we call "Skavsta airport" "Stockholm Skavsta Airport" although its 100km from Stockholm

It's Christmas day no taxi will charging normal rates surely. I'd be booking one and don't use the airport one (online quote one) it's a rip-off. Surely a blackburn firm would be cheaper and a fixed rate? Also guarantees he's there when you arrive as who knows how many will be working? I wouldn't expect the price to be cheap though.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info and tips regarding my trip, Booked in at the Premier Inn now and arriving on christmas day, What is open in Blackburn on christmas day?? Found two pubs open, one in pleasington and the Oakenhurst next to the hotel, in need for some food store if anyone know.

Thanks for all the info and tips regarding my trip, Booked in at the Premier Inn now and arriving on christmas day, What is open in Blackburn on christmas day?? Found two pubs open, one in pleasington and the Oakenhurst next to the hotel, in need for some food store if anyone know.

there's a fantastically popular restaurant right next to the hotel you should try there?

Archived