BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Happy Birthday from Rovers

Stuart

So I've received an email from Rovers wishing me a happy birthday and kindly offering me a free ticket to any first team Rovers match at Ewood in October.

It says in the small print that the ticket is "personal and non-transferable".

Very nice of them but considering I'm a season ticket holder this is a pretty empty gesture (at best) and downright stupid (at worst).

It's not as though they don't know this either because my season ticket number is referenced in the email?

Anyone else experienced this? Or am I missing the point?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I've received an email from Rovers wishing me a happy birthday and kindly offering me a free ticket to any first team Rovers match at Ewood in October.

It says in the small print that the ticket is "personal and non-transferable".

Very nice of them but considering I'm a season ticket holder this is a pretty empty gesture (at best) and downright stupid (at worst).

It's not as though they don't know this either because my season ticket number is referenced in the email?

Anyone else experienced this? Or am I missing the point?

I had one too Stuart a few weeks ago and just shook my head. It also followed the second publishing of all and sundries email addresses for a second time for which I received a belated apology.

Administration leaves a bit to be desired! Possibly still having the odd glitches from Shagnew's fax machine, who knows.

Is it the full whistle and bells first class VIP full treatment birthday indulgence because you are a valued season ticket holder or the bog standard restricted Riverside view that is on offer?

Standard.

And, by the way: Oy! That's more normal seat you are talking about!! ;)

Moaning about offering a free ticket...Only Rovers fans! :-P

A free ticket that I technically "can't" use!

Unless I leave my season ticket seat empty.

Wait, hold on... THAT'S how they are inflating the attendance total! :D

• Backroom

A free ticket that I technically "can't" use!

Unless I leave my season ticket seat empty.

Wait, hold on... THAT'S how they are inflating the attendance total! :D

Offer your ST to a mate for that game?

I'm sure if you rang up and said you want to take up the option so a mate can sit with you that everything would be fine. I think they really mean you cant sell the ticket on - would make more sense if they said to ST holders "bring a friend for free" mind.

Guest Norbert

My birthday is during closed season ..possibly when players are taking their holidays. I am discriminated against because of the date of my birth .. Bad Marketing

Maybe you can go on a jetski in Spain with Rochina when he next goes on holiday.

Stuart. Search 'The Gift Relationship' by Richard Titmuss.

His research found that people in the UK donated proportionately more blood for medical stocks than they did in the US. Why did this happen? Economists believe individuals work from a position of automonous, informed self-interest. So, if people get paid for blood, as in the US, there ought to be a greater donation level than in those countries like the UK where people donate not just gratis, but it actually costs them in time, effort and money.

The reason, he proposed, convincingly, is we don't act simply out of self-interest. Many people would be prepared to do something for free but, when an economic principle of payment is introduced, it devalues the process in the eyes of the (potential) donors. In short, people would generally prefer not to profit from helping someone else. It's not what motivates them in the most fundamental sense.

You can apply this how you want to the Rovers' free gift and their oh-so human 'mistake'. You have the chance to do something good with a free gift. My advice: then do some good with it. You know you want to...

A nice post Mark but again misses the point.

Rovers have told me (on the email) that I can't do something good with it. I have to use it myself personally but I've already paid them for my own seat.

I suppose I could get the seat next to me and spread out a bit. If I curled up a bit I could perhaps lie down. That might make it easier for the person behind me to see the game but then I might spoil my own view.

Just phoned the ticket office. The offer is for "one home match in the month of October" so Watford (in my DeLorean) or Charlton.

Got the ticket though. Looks like I'll finally get the feeling of two-seat-comfort that my Hugh Jarce deserves.

Ticket office didn't wish me a happy birthday though. In fact none of you keans have! Kean the lot of you. :lol:

Damn, i got an email saying 'it's your birthday soon look at these offers' happy birthday email, but deleted it, without looking properly!!

Do they send you another when it actually is your birthday?

Just phone the ticket office, Ads. They just took my postcode and confirmed my name and address. I even got to pick the seat number.

I can only assume they check that your birthday is in October (or whatever period).

Maybe everyone should ring up and chance their arm? Happy Birthday everyone!!

A nice post Mark but again misses the point.

Rovers have told me (on the email) that I can't do something good with it. I have to use it myself personally but I've already paid them for my own seat.

I suppose I could get the seat next to me and spread out a bit. If I curled up a bit I could perhaps lie down. That might make it easier for the person behind me to see the game but then I might spoil my own view.

Just phoned the ticket office. The offer is for "one home match in the month of October" so Watford (in my DeLorean) or Charlton.

Got the ticket though. Looks like I'll finally get the feeling of two-seat-comfort that my Hugh Jarce deserves.

Ticket office didn't wish me a happy birthday though. In fact none of you keans have! Kean the lot of you. :lol:

Just phone the ticket office, Ads. They just took my postcode and confirmed my name and address. I even got to pick the seat number.

I can only assume they check that your birthday is in October (or whatever period).

Maybe everyone should ring up and chance their arm? Happy Birthday everyone!!

Good reply, our Stuart. :lol:

• Backroom

Great post Stuart, but I must ask:

Unless you have to provide ID, now that you have the ticket can't you just give it to someone else? In the same manner I took someone to Watford (a scouse Rover called Pete who sounded like a sheep when booing the ref).

Archived