BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Cole

He was already in the Dutch squad.

For me, he was a quality defender, however he wasn't quality for us simply because he played the majority of his football out of position at right back. This exposed his lack of pace.

He should have played more at centre back as he read the game so well.

He was already in the Dutch squad.

For me, he was a quality defender, however he wasn't quality for us simply because he played the majority of his football out of position at right back. This exposed his lack of pace.

He should have played more at centre back as he read the game so well.

Agree. We had an embarrassment of riches in defence at that stage though. Ooijer, Nelsen, Todd and Zurab (when everyone thought that he was good). This was all before we even signed Samba (who many thought would never get a game). Maybe not surprising that he was forced out to right back when you consider who he would've been keeping out.

Forget he played for us sometimes, what a class act he was. Should have held on to him.. Always seems to be forgotten in "best 11" etc..

Friedel

Lesaux

Berg

Henchoz

Samba

Tugay

Duff

Dunn

Shearer

Sutton

Cole

Not many fans can claim to have watched that sort of quality.. Nor could they brag about watching two of the premierships all time leading goal scorers! Love being a Rovers fan!!

2nd 11

Flowers

Lucas Neil

Short

Hendry

Todd

Wilcox

Ripely

Sherwood

Flitcroft/Batty

Sutton

Jansen

Absolutely ridiculous the amount of top notch players that have graced our pitch.. Notable abscences: benni, roque, Phil jones, the axe

I know this has been done to death. Rather than higlighting your best 11 might be interesting to recall specific games were a forgotten star had a cracking game and made your Saturday!

Being from when we won the league and on-wards I would also add some unsung heroes.. the first 11 would not win a toffee we needed players like super Atko in the mix, unfashionable players true but pretty much all league winning sides have em.

Ooijer got off to a terrible start but gradually found his feet. He was just starting to look like a top class international player when he broke his leg in the away game against Man City. Some fool fell on him in a goalmouth scramble. For me he was never quite the same after that.

Was a big fan of Oojier. He only scored two league goals for us, both injury time winners. Away at Everton and at home to Spurs.

The other night I was watching highlights of seasons 2001/2 and 2002/3. Both Cole and Yorke looked good as did Hakan Sukur, Janson, Duff, Dunn.

Also looking good (believe it or not) were Grabbi, Yordi, Ostenstad and Hakan Unsal.

Those were exciting days watching Rovers. I didn't appreciate them enough at the time.

It's all relative I suppose Bazza. At the time you expected better as the club was doing well and the league win and especially the league cup win were still fresh in the memory. The squad was being built and the club was looking up. A far cry from todays malaise.

Just as we probably didn't appreciate the good players we had in the late 80's

Now we are in a massive fallow period, possibly the most fallow since the days we were relegated to the third tier, the players from the past can finally be appreciated.

You don't know a good thing until it has gone is an apt anology

Even in very recent times we have had underrated players. I really thought Jermaine Jones was a top player for us, at last a Savage replacement I thought. No offense to Jason Lowe, but when you consider we went from Jones to Lowe you can see why we got relegated.

Ozz can't see many people buying the Directors box canvas although hopefully sometime in the future might be used by the prosecution :) think you got the date wrong on it as well 2011 wasn't it?

Although looking at it, it is proof that Burnley Bob does have a mouth which may surprise a few people.

I know, I checked it about ten times, seeing as JA was sat in the middle. I have an almost identical shot at the B`ham game, it shows John Williams in the same seat! The JPEG details are wrong as they have been edited and recreated on CS2, so I had to get me readers on to check each face.

Just look at our BENCH for that game. :(

Seems so long ago Stuart, still only 13 days till the third anniversary of the takeover, heard Degsy's throwing a celebration bbq , you got anything planned?

Think I'm going to have a dress up like Balaji day, got some false t**s and a Barry White 70's costume then going off to put a bet on a team getting relegated

Archived