BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brazil World Cup Troubles - Stadium collapse?

The bloody soil isn't stable, and they're talking about getting it finished in time? I'm no structural engineer, but isn't (lethally) poor foundations a pretty good reason to abandon the whole project and put the opener somewhere else?

Guest Norbert

When the Swiss authorities tell you to clean up your act or else, then you know an organisation is dodgy. The effing Swiss for goodness sake!

Oh, and a school and community facilities were knocked down to make room for the new Maracana. Qatar will have enough Indian/Nepali slave labour to make the stadiums safe though. They'll probably use their bodies as mortar.

The bloody soil isn't stable, and they're talking about getting it finished in time? I'm no structural engineer, but isn't (lethally) poor foundations a pretty good reason to abandon the whole project and put the opener somewhere else?

I am.

Not necessarily the soil that is the issue, more likely that the foundations for the tower crane weren't adequate (which is a disgrace in itself). If there was a wider issue with the soil then you would expect more damage to occur than one crane collapsing (as far as I've seen they are reporting no damage to the mai structure).

I am.

Not necessarily the soil that is the issue, more likely that the foundations for the tower crane weren't adequate (which is a disgrace in itself). If there was a wider issue with the soil then you would expect more damage to occur than one crane collapsing (as far as I've seen they are reporting no damage to the mai structure).

I see...would that not ordinarily merit some thorough investigation to be sure though, before proceeding? What with people having died? Don't think I'd want to put my life in their hands now...

Guest Norbert

I'm sure the prestige of getting the world cup, might persuade the Brazilian HSE (if they have such a body) to just go through the motions as they rush to get everything ready. I'm not talking about bribes, just pressure from FIFA, ambitious politicians etc. to keep quiet and not bring it too much publicity.

The next three world cups are going to be..........interesting. We have one that has been publicly funded, despite promises otherwise, one in a country that hates gays, black people and anyone who isn't a Russian who votes for Putin. Then you have one that is in the middle of a stupidly hot desert full of angry people who often like killing each other. And we still don't know when that will take place.

In this country a fatality, serious injury or even a very severe near miss can see sites ground to a halt while the HSE crawl all over it.

In Brazil for a World Cup stadium?

Indeed. The H&S Exec would have called the whole show off here..... and absolutely delighted in doing so.

How does it work? FIFA sells the World Cup to a country and then, the country (countries) can profit off of it. I understand it's something like that.

It's like selling a license to sell Coca Cola.

That said, workplace construction accidents happen, I'm saddened by the loss of life here.

• Backroom

It is management's responsibility to ensure workers work in a safe environment.

So it's management's fault that the workers who laid the foundations buggered up?

Sometimes it's ok to blame the little man, you know.

So it's management's fault that the workers who laid the foundations buggered up?

Sometimes it's ok to blame the little man, you know.

Anyone can make a mistake and some people are idiots who should not be given any form of responsibility. It is up to the companies involved (so yes, management) to put systems in place to check the work that is done and to root out the idiots.

• Backroom

Anyone can make a mistake and some people are idiots who should not be given any form of responsibility. It is up to the companies involved (so yes, management) to put systems in place to check the work that is done and to root out the idiots.

Agreed. But that only works with hindsight in most cases. Assuming the workers in this case had previously made no mistakes, at what point are management supposed to spot an idiot?

Jim, yes it's obvious. But as I say, not when there's no previous form for mistakes.

All safety critical work should be checked, no matter how capable the person doing it usually is.

It is the easiest thing in the world to transpose a digit or put a decimal point one place to the right, or to mis-read a drawing because it got dirty... etc.

If it was the foundations of the crane that were at fault, that might be because they were designed wrong (which can be easily checked), not built to the design (which can be checked - usually), not designed at all (meaning the company involved are a bunch of cowboys), or it might have been designed and built perfectly, and then someone told the crane driver to lift something far too heavy (cowboys again).

Or maybe the crane wasn't properly maintained or hadn't been properly erected in the first place - back to cowboys.

It happens here. Plenty of poor minimum wage Asda employees got trampled on for cheap ugly plastic chinese tat this morning at 8am. Shameful scenes in many stores.

Why do we always copy the Yanks? Lets take the higher ground for once. Stick Black Friday up their collective arses.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151770344347816

Archived