BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Who should Rhodes partner be ?

JAL

The problem is, everyone assumed that signing Gudeste would solve the problem, as Rhodes would be able to play of his knock ons/knock downs. Unfortunately, this was never the solution. Defenses push further up the field when we play Rhodes up front, as he isn't the fastest, and our "3" behind (most recently Taylor, Dunn and Marshall) aernt the fastest either. This removes all four players, as even when Rhodes does win the ball, our four attacking players are still nowhere near the opponents 18 yard box, where Rhodes is most dangerous.

At the start of the season, we where far more successful offensively because we where playing Josh King as a winger. Although his final ball is often rubbish, defences naturally don't push us so high up the field as they're scared that it's leaving a big gap behind the defenders and goal keeper and they know that any balls played over the top, King will beat them too.

The only solution, is to play King as a striker. He will miss a lot of chances, and he will fail to play the 'right' final ball often, but it will push defenders further and further back. This will naturally create more chances for Rhodes, who can finish.

We could revert back to 4-2-3-1, with King on a wing, but this wouldn't be as effective as starting him as a striker because when he does get to a good position, 4 times out of 5 he will either shoot when a pass is needed, or make the wrong pass. If he plays striker, he will naturally shoot more. Anything can happen then.

The problem with this, is we would HAVE to play with two strikers. Leaving our formation choices at 3-5-2, or 4-4-2.

Playing 4-4-2 is most rovers fans personal choice, but it means we would have to drop Dunn and Rochina, as despite most people on this forums beliefs, you they cannot play in central midfield. It also means we HAVE to play Lowe or Williamson, meaning when Evans returns the choice for central midfield would be Cairney OR Evans. A team such as:

Eastwood; Henley Hanley Dann Spurr; Marshall Cairney Lowe Taylor; King Rhodes would be the most suitable 4-4-2 formation to maximise Rhodes.

Alternatively, we could play my preferred formation. 3-5-2. This would utilise players like Kane and Henley, who are good going forward, but suspect defensively. It would also utilise our 3 good central defenders; Killa, Hanley and Dann, all of which have solid Premier League experience. It would ALSO allow us to play Cairney, Evans and Lowe/Williamson, allowing us to play our strongest two central midfielders, Cairney and Evans, who where the basis of Hulls promotion. However it would mean we wouldn't play Rochina, Dunn, Marshall and Taylor; 2 fans favourites, an expensive Bowyer signing and a player in good form. It also means the should one of Dann, Hanley or Killa get suspended or injured, we would be screwed as we have no cover.

All in all, ideally to play to Rhodes strengths I would be playing: Eastwood; Dann Hanley Killgallon; Kane Cairney Lowe Evans Henley; King Rhodes.

But it won't happen.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder why we never see that combination then. If plenty of fans see it that way, they why can't a full time professional manager see it too?

That's like asking why the manager thinks Cairney's best position is out wide.

In both cases, it's because Bowyer is far too cautious.

Do you think it has anything to do with his status IE he's on loan and we want to buy him?

Bowyer will play him every week as he wants him to know he'll play here.

Not a bad shout and could be true

Just seen cardiff have sacked malky, so maybe he will want to go back there now anyway and have another go with a new manager who may pick him

Do you think it has anything to do with his status IE he's on loan and we want to buy him?

Bowyer will play him every week as he wants him to know he'll play here.

It reminds me of SGE, when he'd shove Paul Scholes, the most technically gifted midfielder capable of dictating a game, out wide to accommodate Gerrard & Lampard. In this case, our equivalent to Lamps & Stevie G is Lowey & Williamson. :unsure:

Oooops thought you were on about Gestede. D'oh

In that case your post is wrong/stuoopid and useless :xmas: j/k

Haha, your mistake is my fault? Are you a footballer?

;)

It reminds me of SGE, when he'd shove Paul Scholes, the most technically gifted midfielder capable of dictating a game, out wide to accommodate Gerrard & Lampard. In this case, our equivalent to Lamps & Stevie G is Lowey & Williamson. :unsure:

I think GB is of the believe that he must play his best 11 players always, whether it's there role or not he just wants them out there.

I'm worried about Brum now as it's only 2 days away, we haven't really rotated rested any of our players so far this season, fatigue will set in soon and after that we'll be behind those who have used their squads physically.

Based on the sort of long-balls we played yesterday I'd suggest either Yao Ming for knock-downs or someone really, really fast to latch onto those lofted through balls.

In all seriousness we've partnered him with lots of different players and I think the best partnership is Dunn playing just behind Rhodes in a free-role. This is probably because Dunn is our best player in that position, unfortunately of course injury dictates he doesn't play very often. The best alternative I think is then the likes of Marshall and Rochina to battle for that position just behind Rhodes. I've failed to be convinced when we've played 4-4-2 it looks a little more rigid than a 4-2-3-1 formation which allows the likes of King and Cairney more license to attack and have a bigger impact of the game.

I'll get slated for this but I think Rhodes' best partner would be someone like Goodwillie.

Goodwillie hasn't done well here but then again his first few months here was under Kean who rarely played him.

He lost fitness and probably lost drive but he's played a fair few games in Scotland now and I think if we got the Goodwillie that came from there originally we could see a very hard working, strong and quick partner for Rhodes.

Also helps that they're both Scottish so would probably be more willing to try and make a partnership work.

Other than that Rochina is the only other option I can think of but everytime they've played together Rochina has been far too selfish and not put Rhodes in when he should.

I'll get slated for this but I think Rhodes' best partner would be someone like Goodwillie.

Goodwillie hasn't done well here but then again his first few months here was under Kean who rarely played him.

He lost fitness and probably lost drive but he's played a fair few games in Scotland now and I think if we got the Goodwillie that came from there originally we could see a very hard working, strong and quick partner for Rhodes.

Also helps that they're both Scottish so would probably be more willing to try and make a partnership work.

Other than that Rochina is the only other option I can think of but everytime they've played together Rochina has been far too selfish and not put Rhodes in when he should.

Plum%20Slate_WEB.jpged

Hard working? Why didn't he work hard to keep fit during his time here. Strong? Not particular. Quick? He looks like he is running in quick sand.

Just because he is Scottish doesn't mean they will gel, they will only be speaking the same language.

It tells you everything when he has 2 in 16 in the SPL this year.

Hard working? Why didn't he work hard to keep fit during his time here. Strong? Not particular. Quick? He looks like he is running in quick sand.

Just because he is Scottish doesn't mean they will gel, they will only be speaking the same language.

It tells you everything when he has 2 in 16 in the SPL this year.

Rhiodes is as English as you and I

My point was Rhodes doesn't need someone next to him that can score goals, he needs someone who can provide him with chances.

My point about the Scotland factor was if I was Goodwillie and I'd be thinking the best way for me to get back into the Scotland side would be for me to strike a partnership with a man who should be a shoe in in the Scotland side.

Likewise with Rhodes, whilst he's picked for Scotland he's probably not favoured because of his lacking qualities, qualities a good partner can make up for.

I didn't say he has, but neither have many others we've tried partnering Rhodes up with.

I'm not saying we absolutely should give Goodwillie a go, but we're running out of options since we can't exactly afford to go and buy someone.

I don't think it's that bad an idea RockinRover. 'Willie started to should signs of improvement at the back end of last season. He seems to struggle with fitness and motivation though - not a great combination. I'm not convinced about Bowyer's man-management skills when it comes to someone who needs more discipline than others.

Archived