BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tragic news

Sorry but I don't believe you. Staffies were originally bred as fighting dogs and that has never been fully bred out of them. Ugly dogs in my opinion but not as ugly as English Bull Terriers (I call them Pig Dogs) or Bulldogs. My ideal pets are Cavaliers and Shih Tzu both of which are well known for their friendly nature. I don't need an aggressive breed as a penis extention.

I assume this is a prelude to you coming out of the closet Al? The only person I suspect could love either of those useless toy dogs would be Paul O Grady!

btw.... It might be a good idea for people to identify their breed of dog. I've a Border Collie bitch.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Norbert

Actually I think O'Grady did or does have the latter breed.

I don't have a dog, but my parents have two labradoodles. They're a good size and big softies. Their cat bullies them.

Shi Tzuh's are great little dogs, why would you need anything bigger than that ?

Many years ago I owned a Staffy, lovely with me, kids, other people, no problem. It would go for any other dog though in an instant. NOT the dog/breed's fault, it had been bred to fight (I rescued it from the kennels and certain death) but afraid it had to go.

Sorry if that's a little vague but it's a long story, with the added bonus of organised crime.

Guest Norbert

Corrected in the interests of accuracy Norbert. ^_^

You are right, it's not really a breed, but it's easier to call them that. The dog we had before that was a real mongrel that had no tail. Again, she was soft, and was bossed about by the cat when we got him.

It's the owners that make the biggest contribution to whether a dog is well behaved or aggressive.

FAO- Otto,

Whilst I agree with what your saying to an extent in regards to owners being responsible for a dogs personality, I was wondering what your opinion is in regards to rescue dogs? many of these are fully grown and come from poor or in many circumstances completely unknown backgrounds and their personalities and behaviours are already pretty much set in, but its impossible to judge a dog from spending short amounts of time with them at rescue centres(where they are just happy to receive any positive attention) It can take months for their true personalities and any negative or even dangerous traits to come through.

Actually I think O'Grady did or does have the latter breed.

I don't have a dog, but my parents have two labradoodles. They're a good size and big softies. Their cat bullies them.

I assume that is in response to the post from Thenodrog but I have him on ignore. Probably being his odious self anyway.

I get mixed feelings in talking about Labs, some are so thin, it looks like they could be knocked over with a feather, others are strongly built. See an image such as this: http://www.breedyourdog.com/uploads/listing_images/15616/35042/big_image.jpg?0

---------------

Our neice, about 6 years old got reprimanded for just walking up to a dog in the park and petting it while its owners walk it. The dog could have easily been startled, something to be careful about.

I assume that is in response to the post from Thenodrog but I have him on ignore. Probably being his odious self anyway.

People who live in glass houses eh?

http://www.brfcs.com/mb/index.php/topic/30152-reading-v-rovers-sat-22nd-feb-2014/?p=1489706

He's not reading this so it can't offend him but it appears that the silly old fart has changed his prescription.

Off-Topic: I was reading the Ready to go Sunderland forums last night, they had a real row between 2 posters over a ticket to Wembley, the one poster felt hard done missing obtaining a ticket, they deleted that thread, gossip. Their supporters are certainly up being in the League Cup final next Saturday and in the FA Cup tournament still and it's a big deal to go to London to support their club, credit to them but the 2 posters in question, that's a bit of an ugly affair and one got banned, . I'm just saying it should serve as a lesson.

FAO- Otto,

Whilst I agree with what your saying to an extent in regards to owners being responsible for a dogs personality, I was wondering what your opinion is in regards to rescue dogs? many of these are fully grown and come from poor or in many circumstances completely unknown backgrounds and their personalities and behaviours are already pretty much set in, but its impossible to judge a dog from spending short amounts of time with them at rescue centres(where they are just happy to receive any positive attention) It can take months for their true personalities and any negative or even dangerous traits to come through.

TJ. I would say you have to treat each case on it's merits. Not all rescue dogs have been abused and not all abused dogs have "issues". I rescued a 14 month old German shepherd who'd spent the first 12 months of his life being beaten and starved, now you'd think that he'd hate people and have serious socialization problems but the truth is he was one of the most well balanced and affectionate mutts I ever owned.

TJ. I would say you have to treat each case on it's merits. Not all rescue dogs have been abused and not all abused dogs have "issues". I rescued a 14 month old German shepherd who'd spent the first 12 months of his life being beaten and starved, now you'd think that he'd hate people and have serious socialization problems but the truth is he was one of the most well balanced and affectionate mutts I ever owned.

I got my mutt from a rescue centre about 13 years ago and he was fully grown and roughly 1-2 years old when I got him and there was no history for him prior to being in the rescue centre(I think he was abandoned), he's always had anxiety issues(mainly separation anxiety and has always been an unpredictable pain in the butt outside of the house, but he's not aggressive and has never bit anybody and inside the house he's the perfect dog.

Speaking of dawgs, why is it people have such a moral objection to dog meat? I've never tried it myself but it really is quite hypocritical to refuse it on moral grounds. Pigs can be "lovable" and "loyal" creatures too (inverted commas because those are human traits ascribed to animals), and they're more intelligent than dogs, yet no one has any qualms about eating pork.

Speaking of dawgs, why is it people have such a moral objection to dog meat? I've never tried it myself but it really is quite hypocritical to refuse it on moral grounds. Pigs can be "lovable" and "loyal" creatures too (inverted commas because those are human traits ascribed to animals), and they're more intelligent than dogs, yet no one has any qualms about eating pork.

Aside from vegans, vegetarians and millions of religious folk,

Seriously though, if you dont know the answer to that, you will never understand.

P.s. And from what I gather even countries where dogs are killed for meat, only I minority of people in those countries would actually eat dog meat.

Amarillo brings up a good question, I've heard it said all my life, pigs are smarter than dogs.

1. Humans 2. Primates 3. Whales/Dolphins 4. Pigs
Pig hearts have been used in human heart transplants.

http://www.kidsplayandcreate.com/are-pigs-smarter-than-dogs-amazing-pig-facts-for-kids/

I never knew that latter factoid.

Culturally, we are more attached to dogs.

Aside from vegans, vegetarians and millions of religious folk,

Obviously, my post wasn't referring to those people.

Seriously though, if you dont know the answer to that, you will never understand.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others?

It's because pigs make better bacon butties

I don't believe that! How can a pig manage to pick up a frying pan and switch the cooker on with trotters?

Speaking of dawgs, why is it people have such a moral objection to dog meat?

I don't think the Eastern European migrants object to eating dog meat. Pedigree Chum is their favourite I'm told.

Archived