BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tragic news

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an FYI, the caliber of a weapon (i.e. high-powered or otherwise) has nothing to do with whether it is a semi-automatic, revolver, bolt action, lever action, pump, etc. You can find just about any caliber of weapon across all sorts of actions. Which is best for you is largely a matter of personal preference. Though I rarely carry, when I do I personally prefer my handguns in the form of "high-power" revolvers (.357 or .45, but not .44) but others prefer semi-autos in lower calibers. Mix and match as they may prefer. Both they and I have equally valid reasons.

This is the wrong thread I know but since this has been posted I think I should mention that I read this week that in the US they value their gun ownership laws above the lives of their children. The above is proof of that statement.

so the baby was attacked at night whilst sleeping, that does change things slightly, in that the assumptions of child neglect are now seemingly wrong(and ill hold my hands up to making that assumption, though that's how it seemed to read in the initial reports)

I'm a dog lover and I've had my boy(dog) for over 15 years, but ill be the 1st to admit that something has to happen fast regarding dog ownership laws,

I think All dogs should be tested, assessed and graded, then I think potential dog owners should be assessed to make sure that they are going to make responsible dog owners and if they are suitable then they are given a licence which says what grades of dog that they are suitable to keep. (or something to that effect)

its easy steve ..real men dont need guns and real men dont need dogs from the devil.

I'm pleased that you aren't the social arbiter of what it means to be a "real" man (which is a phrase I expect women who haven't a clue to throw about, not another male). It only reinforces t the eyebrow raising commentary about penis extensions. Are you by chance related to Madeline Kahn?

As to dogs from the devil, I haven't engaged Old Nick in conversation recently so I won't express an opinion.

This is the wrong thread I know but since this has been posted I think I should mention that I read this week that in the US they value their gun ownership laws above the lives of their children. The above is proof of that statement.

What rubbish that is!

Just saw this covered in the news comment thread: http://www.brfcs.com/mb/index.php/topic/29963-news-comment/page-7

Nevertheless, disturbing.

----------

I'm not a PETA animal rights type and this is OT to this thread about the dog per se but that is rotten in Denmark about that Giraffe named Marius being shot imho. Euthanised.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/world/europe/anger-erupts-over-danish-zoos-decision-to-put-down-a-giraffe.html

Why keep a dog like that in the house anyway ? Ridiculous, bloody thing should be on a battlefield.

mate of mine spent a fortune on an Akita, tit.

One of those tried to kill my cousin's harmless dog and bit her(my cousin) nearly to the bone. They should be banned along with Pit Bulls and Rottweilers, all trained to kill and unpredictable. Snap for no obvious reason.

By the way, that dog's name is "Killer" which tells you a lot about both dog and owner. That poor, poor little girl.

Can't help but see parallels between those Brits who argue in favour of "it's not the breed of dog, it's the owners" and their American counterparts who use the same line of reasoning to justify owning semi-automatic or other high-powered weapons.

No such thing as a bad dog.....Only bad owners. I've had large dogs all my life (German shepherds, mastiffs, Rhodesian ridgeback) and all whilst raising four children, none of whom have suffered so much as a growl from the dogs let alone a bite. The problem arises when owners who have little or no experience with animals are unable to train and treat their dogs appropriately. 21st century society has seen dogs being treated more and more like kids and less and less like the animals they are. Evidenced by the current trend for giving human names to our pets.(Whatever happened to Sabre ,Rex King etc etc) We as a society have to stop anthropomorphising them and as such stop giving them a place in family that they are neither comfortable with nor able to handle. Dogs are pack animals and need to know their place in the hierarchy or they become confused and then in turn can become aggressive. Bear in mind most dogs are followers, not leaders and are happiest when they have strong leadership(Alpha male/female)

I currently have, 8 stones of slobbering Italian mastiff (Cane Corso) A German pointer and a Heinz 57. None of whom are aggressive or unstable and have introduced numerous friends children to them over the years without incident.

Patently not true. Any dog/animal can turn. Dog owners with young children do so at their own risk and cannot complain if the consequences end in tragedy.

There are of course exceptions to every rule. However my fifty years of dog ownership and 22 years as a dog handler in the Army would tell me these really are exceptions.

By the way. Did you actually take the time to read the rest of my post or were you just in such a hurry to throw in your own two penneth worth that you missed it?

Just giving the case for the defence. As I said before dogs are fine so long as people always remember as otto man pointed out that they possess canine pack animal instincts and do not have human behaviour and values. Very different things. Trouble is they don't and too many low life dollopers have fighting dogs as a status symbol. I shouldn't be surprised if more doesn't come out over this.

No such thing as a bad dog.....Only bad owners. I've had large dogs all my life (German shepherds, mastiffs, Rhodesian ridgeback) and all whilst raising four children, none of whom have suffered so much as a growl from the dogs let alone a bite. The problem arises when owners who have little or no experience with animals are unable to train and treat their dogs appropriately. 21st century society has seen dogs being treated more and more like kids and less and less like the animals they are. Evidenced by the current trend for giving human names to our pets.(Whatever happened to Sabre ,Rex King etc etc) We as a society have to stop anthropomorphising them and as such stop giving them a place in family that they are neither comfortable with nor able to handle. Dogs are pack animals and need to know their place in the hierarchy or they become confused and then in turn can become aggressive. Bear in mind most dogs are followers, not leaders and are happiest when they have strong leadership(Alpha male/female)

I currently have, 8 stones of slobbering Italian mastiff (Cane Corso) A German pointer and a Heinz 57. None of whom are aggressive or unstable and have introduced numerous friends children to them over the years without incident.

Accepting I'm sure you consider yourself an excellent dog owner...

From my point of view, there are certain breeds of dogs in particular which I would not want around my children - under any circumstances.

You may say "low probablity" but I say "high impact". In my book, that's a risk that needs managing or mitigating. Since none of us can reason with a dog, my mitigation is not to have young children near them.

Any dog can turn and a lot of the incidents go unreported, especially when it involves family members where reporting it could potentially leading to the destruction of "a loved family companion". When I was young, my granddad's dog bit my sister on the face (she's fine now and there is no scar, thankfully) because my granddad was playing a game the dog misread the situation and attacked. This was a plain old mongrel dog and was quiet as a mouse most of the time. It wasn't put down but it knew it had done wrong. Too late though at that point.

I once heard or read about Pit Bulls, something about their jaws and bite being more dangerous than your other dogs in general. However, on doing some research, this one website calls that a "myth".

"Pit Bulls have locking jaws." The jaws of the Pit Bull are functionally
the same as the jaws of any other breed, and this has been proven via
expert examination.

http://www.realpitbull.com/myths.html

Myth or not, stay the heck away from me.

I believe I did once have a run in while on the bike with a doberman pinscher and got off my bike and had the bike between me and the doberman. Nothing happened thank goodness on this occasion a few years ago.

I have some steel pipe about 2 feet long I could carry on a bike for defence though I've never actually made the effort to carry it.

It slips my mind now, there may be some innocuous solutions one could put in a water bottle that keeps dogs away, you could spray it at them but I forget what that is now.

I once heard or read about Pit Bulls, something about their jaws and bite being more dangerous than your other dogs in general. However, on doing some research, this one website calls that a "myth".

I believe I did once have a run in while on the bike with a doberman pinscher and got off my bike and had the bike between me and the doberman. Nothing happened thank goodness on this occasion a few years ago.

I have some steel pipe about 2 feet long I could carry on a bike for defence though I've never actually made the effort to carry it.

It slips my mind now, there may be some innocuous solutions one could put in a water bottle that keeps dogs away, you could spray it at them but I forget what that is now.

Carling or Fosters, it keeps me away every time.

jeez the write up in that link must be one of the most one sided biased things i've ever read.

jeez the write up in that link must be one of the most one sided biased things i've ever read.

I agree, just randomly pulled up the website because I once heard something about their jaws being real strong, I heard if one got a hold of you, bit your leg, it'd be very ugly. Whatever the website says, a great amount of the stories you hear about dogs killing people (or other) seem to involve the Pitt Bulls and yes, you hear some stories about other breeds. Nonetheless, hearing those stories ever so often will make much more of an impression on me than whatever propaganda or facts they can come up.

Did it already happen again???

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2562020/Police-seize-family-dog-baby-killed-Wales.html

A newborn girl has been killed by a dog that her father brought home from a pub, it was reported yesterday.

The body of six-day-old Eliza-Mae Martha Mullane was found by her mother Sharon John after the infant was apparently mauled by a male Alaskan Malamute, a powerful, husky-type dog bred for pulling sleds.

No way should a big meaty dog be allowed to be alone with a child, they look kind of like wolves.

There's no doubt some of these more aggressive breeds of dogs should be banned by parliament, and legislation to support it would get backing from both sides of the House. Any sensible person can see that children (and adults) are at risk from these dogs.

There's no doubt some of these more aggressive breeds of dogs should be banned by parliament, and legislation to support it would get backing from both sides of the House. Any sensible person can see that children (and adults) are at risk from these dogs.

Agreed. There is no need to have aggressive dogs as pets. These are usually penis extensions but there are many breeds of smaller affectionate dogs to choose from. Of course no sensible person will leave any dog alone with a baby. Any dog can become jealous of a new child taking the affection of it's owner.

Archived