SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tragic news

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Yep horrible news

Not much more to say on it; I see the parents are arrested for child neglect, I wonder if this is solely related to this or the state of care in general

RIP little one

On the beeb this morning there were some rather confusing reports attached to this tragedy. No doubt questions will be answered in good time.

As for dogs. If people keep dogs they have to think like a dog and not expect a dog to think like humans.

New babies arriving and suddenly getting all the attention previously enjoyed by the dog can breed intense resentment just like it can with older brothers and sisters.

As for dogs. If people keep dogs they have to think like a dog and not expect a dog to think like humans.

New babies arriving and suddenly getting all the attention previously enjoyed by the dog can breed intense resentment just like it can with older brothers and sisters.

Bit of a contradiction in terms there, Gordon.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2556514/Baby-girl-dies-attacked-mauled-dog.html

Seems the dog was a 'menace' even before this attack, and seemingly wasn't the home of the baby.

Tragic but when is the penny going to drop when it comes to owning certain dogs. No mention of the breed in this case, aside from it being a 'cross-breed', but I'm sure we all have an image of the type of breeds most likely. Let's see if we are right or wrong...

• Backroom

I'm unsure of something here. Why have the parents been arrested if it was at another house (and presumably not their dog)?

I'll have to watch Granada Reports as I've only heard word of mouth thus far.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/11000777.UPDATE__Two_arrested_on_suspicion_of_manslaughter_after_baby_mauled_to_death_by_dog_in_Blackburn/?ref=mr

"An American pit bull type" - it would appear you're right Stuart

Mother and boyfriend charged with manslaughter.

And it will continue to be these kinds of dogs until politicians make the inevitable knee-jerk decision to ban them. Then it will be whatever type of dog the mouth breathers decide is next 'hardest' looking.

Bring back dog licensing with mandatory training classes and bring in stiff penalties for anyone keeping unlicensed and uninsured dogs.

Guest Norbert

Personally I think how you treat the dog counts as much as the breed. If you let it get away with everything, or go over the top the other way and abuse it, it is more likely to turn out nasty. However, some breeds are probably more prone to this sort of thing than others if they are treated badly.

I've seen one of those Pit Bulls while riding the bike and it was being walked and was across the street, some ways away. Dogs to an extent are already a hazard to cyclists, I don't want to overstate the case, usually all is fine, it's really only those Pit Bulls that bother me. Just for me, the others don't really present any reason for concern.

Most cyclists can tell you a story or two.

Can't help but see parallels between those Brits who argue in favour of "it's not the breed of dog, it's the owners" and their American counterparts who use the same line of reasoning to justify owning semi-automatic or other high-powered weapons.

You cannot trust a dog - any dog. Owners will say their favourite Jack Russell or whatever wouldn't harm a fly but any dog can turn nasty, especially when it feels threatened by the presence of a child. I don't understand why people with young children have dogs - you have either one or the other but not both in my opinion. This is not an anti-dog post as I have a dog myself.

And it will continue to be these kinds of dogs until politicians make the inevitable knee-jerk decision to ban them. Then it will be whatever type of dog the mouth breathers decide is next 'hardest' looking.

That doesn't make much sense. If its currently certain types of dog that are responsible for the majority of these attacks, and those types are banned, then the attacks will go down substantially. Stands to reason.

The problem is there are certain dangerous types of dog that are fashionable, so the people who own them make up all manner of excuses for why they're not actually dangerous. Like Stu said you could say the same about people who own absurdly lethal guns in America. And in my opinion you can say it about the increasingly huge 4x4s that so many people seem fond of driving now.

Its the general attitude of "I'm sure nothing bad will happen, but if it does happen, you're coming off worse." Thats why people have these ridiculous pit-bull dogs in my opinion.

you don't leave a baby alone.

you definitely don't leave a baby alone with a dog(of any kind and temperament) ever,

no dog ownership law that could be brought in will stop sickeningly bad parents from being sickeningly bad parents, they will just find other ways for their child to be hurt or killed.

• Backroom

I think it would be fair to wait for more info

Whilst having big dogs around small children is definitely dangerous and a recipe for disaster it sounds as though the child was in bed upstairs and the dog somehow got in

Whilst the mum or stepdad may be at fault I'm sure it's not intentional and she has been punished in the most harrowing way for her wrongdoings and idiocy already and is sure to face more punishment through the law.

What must the dad be going through right now? Terrible

you don't leave a baby alone.

you definitely don't leave a baby alone with a dog(of any kind and temperament) ever,

no dog ownership law that could be brought in will stop sickeningly bad parents from being sickeningly bad parents, they will just find other ways for their child to be hurt or killed.

Agree with your first two lines. The third one is just a rehash of Steve Moss' gun law argument.

That doesn't make much sense. If its currently certain types of dog that are responsible for the majority of these attacks, and those types are banned, then the attacks will go down substantially. Stands to reason.

If the same certain types of owner just own different dogs instead then the attacks will continue.

Staffordshire bull terriers (I know this one is supposed to be a pit-bull) were for generations believed to be just about the most people and child friendly dogs going. That reputation has been utterly ruined in the last couple of decades.

Did the genetic make up of these dogs suddenly change 20 years ago? No, pit-bulls were banned so the gutter scum started keeping staffs instead.

Ban staffs and they will start keeping something else; rotties, german shepherds, dobermans, hounds...

I'm generally in the camp that most dogs take on the personal attributes of their owner. That said:

1. No small child should be left alone or unsupervised with any animal.

2. Some breeds are breed (i.e. genetically selected) to be more aggressive and violent than others. Owners should be aware of that and act accordingly.

Can't help but see parallels between those Brits who argue in favour of "it's not the breed of dog, it's the owners" and their American counterparts who use the same line of reasoning to justify owning semi-automatic or other high-powered weapons.

As an FYI, the caliber of a weapon (i.e. high-powered or otherwise) has nothing to do with whether it is a semi-automatic, revolver, bolt action, lever action, pump, etc. You can find just about any caliber of weapon across all sorts of actions. Which is best for you is largely a matter of personal preference. Though I rarely carry, when I do I personally prefer my handguns in the form of "high-power" revolvers (.357 or .45, but not .44) but others prefer semi-autos in lower calibers. Mix and match as they may prefer. Both they and I have equally valid reasons.

Dogs like that are like Steves gun hard on ...Penis extensions for chavs.

You do seem to have some sort of fixation about penis extensions. You mention it often enough across a broad range of issues. I wonder what you would see if given a Rorschach's test. You might want to do some soul searching on the issue. We won't judge you.

Why keep a dog like that in the house anyway ? Ridiculous, bloody thing should be on a battlefield.

mate of mine spent a fortune on an Akita, tit.

I was walking across the common near my house late one night. A couple were exercising one of those when there should have been nobody around. It bloody frightened me to death, it looked a bit like a small lion ! Luckily for me it was well trained and when the owners called it back, it went.

If the same certain types of owner just own different dogs instead then the attacks will continue.

Staffordshire bull terriers (I know this one is supposed to be a pit-bull) were for generations believed to be just about the most people and child friendly dogs going. That reputation has been utterly ruined in the last couple of decades.

Did the genetic make up of these dogs suddenly change 20 years ago? No, pit-bulls were banned so the gutter scum started keeping staffs instead.

Ban staffs and they will start keeping something else; rotties, german shepherds, dobermans, hounds...

But many of the Staffies aren't Staffies they are mongrels bred with the likes of English bulls, pits etc. It's very rare to see a true Staff these days which is a shame because they are fantastic dogs.

Back on topic, very upsetting news and from what we've been told so many questions..

Archived