BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tragic news

I understand dogs perfectly thank you - and although my Jack Russell is fine with children I wouldn't let him near a young child as I stated. In fact, no dog can be trusted with young children

Your posts still contradicts your previous statement that it is unwise to stare out a dog you don't know because a dog's behaviour is unpredictable (which I agree with) because it also contradicts your previous assertion that there is no such thing as bad dogs, only bad owners, which is patently not true.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you finally for admitting that any dog is potentially dangerous and that the problem is not with the owners as you previously stated but with the dog itself. For the record I've got a Jack Russell and I love him to bits but I wouldn't let him anywhere near a small child.

Come on. Staffies are lovely dogs but I wouldn't like to have one in the house.

Why not? Fantastic dogs, incredibly intelligent, very loving, loyal, easy to train, obedient, loads of fun. Ours has never shown a flicker of aggression, she dotes on the kids, has won agility comps and loves nothing more than cuddling on your knee. The ignorance around Staffies is incredible, the vast majority that are called Staffies are in fact mongrels. Ask the Kennel Club, ask the RSPA, ask your local vet, they'll all tell you how good a family dog the staffie is.

For anybody genuinely interested. Part of a very good article.
Follow the link to read the whole thing.
There are many factors that play a role when assigning a “danger” level to a dog but most critics and researchers disagree as to what these factors are. Consequently, it’s unfair to callously label a dog as dangerous. Nevertheless, it can’t be helped that some dog breeds have more potential to cause serious harm to a person if the dog were to decide to attack. Therefore, our 25 most dangerous dog breeds focuses on the potential of a dog to cause serious injury to a victim. It is important to note however that most dogs are bred with the desire to please their masters. Thus most incidents involving dogs stem from improper training and harsh ownership.
Are you reading wilsphire Blue?

"Most dogs and most incidents". In other words there are plenty of dogs that do none of the above. It's also good to see that it is acknowledged that even with training dogs can cause serious harm.

As for Staffies

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/swindon-dog-attack-staffordshire-bull-862558

And while this is not a "vicious attack" as stated the parents of this child need their head examined..

I understand dogs perfectly thank you - and although my Jack Russell is fine with children I wouldn't let him near a young child as I stated. In fact, no dog can be trusted with young children

Your posts still contradicts your previous statement that it is unwise to stare out a dog you don't know because a dog's behaviour is unpredictable (which I agree with) because it also contradicts your previous assertion that there is no such thing as bad dogs, only bad owners, which is patently not true.

I refer you to my previous response.

"Most dogs and most incidents". In other words there are plenty of dogs that do none of the above. It's also good to see that it is acknowledged that even with training dogs can cause serious harm.

You just exhibit your total lack of understanding with every post. Keep it up!

Are you really using that video to reinforce your own argument? The mind boggles!

Come on. Staffies are lovely dogs but I wouldn't like to have one in the house.

And yet you own a JR, the one breed that I routinely encounter with dog aggression problems (as opposed to just isolated dogs of other breeds). Often followed by the middle-aged/elderly owner picking it up into their arms and making it snap and snarl even more.

To answer your earlier question re eye contact. Think back to when you were at school and eye to eye with the lad who was giving you a hard time (Supposing it ever happened of course) that's the kind of eye contact to avoid with a dog. As to your other point above. So the dog made NO aggressive moves or noise and yet you felt you couldn't walk past? There's only one thing you need to do in this situation............. Man up! :tu:

It would have been hard to walk up to and past the dog without getting eye contact at some point. The dog had that sort of " I'm guarding my patch " look, although I've never seen it before or since. I could have chanced my arm and carried on and maybe got past without a problem, or I might had to deal with an aggressive dog. 50/50 chance I'd say. Taking another route to avoid the dog was the simplest way out of the situation. I'll cross the road to avoid a dog off the lead or a dog on one of those long leads that allow the dog to be 20ft from it's owner.

I'm not looking for a confrontation with either the dog or the owner, I just wish they'd stay out of my life.

It would have been hard to walk up to and past the dog without getting eye contact at some point. The dog had that sort of " I'm guarding my patch " look, although I've never seen it before or since. I could have chanced my arm and carried on and maybe got past without a problem, or I might had to deal with an aggressive dog. 50/50 chance I'd say. Taking another route to avoid the dog was the simplest way out of the situation. I'll cross the road to avoid a dog off the lead or a dog on one of those long leads that allow the dog to be 20ft from it's owner.

I'm not looking for a confrontation with either the dog or the owner, I just wish they'd stay out of my life.

Eye contact is fine as long as it's not the type I mentioned in my post (You know, the "long stare" type. As that could be considered aggressive behaviour and can lead to an aggressive response) Some people just don't get on with mutts and that's fair enough, but in the majority of cases you have nothing to worry about. Just don't let it spoil things for you. :tu:

Thanks for the answers and advice.

If one did not read the link Otto Man left http://list25.com/25-most-dangerous-dog-breeds/2/ , the Huskies and Malamutes are #6 and #5 on the list of dangerous dogs, looks like these dogs would be content in their native habitat if that be in snow covered lands. It gives one a bit to think about if then, you put it in a more modern civilised environment, then, I'm not so positive.

Most dogs I think can be swayed over, you think, if it doesn't know me now, once it meets me, the dog will become more hospitable. I knew of a dog, it was something like a miniature Husky/Alsatian/Malamute, it was all white and the owners called it Frosty. Maybe it was just its upbringing but to me, it never failed to have a nasty disposition. I personally believe 90% or more of the dogs one comes across are probably fairly amiable, it's just a few exceptions and perhaps those named breeds that mainly act ugly.

Some of the dogs on that list are indeed, very fearsome looking. Good list and I agree with the author.

There was a Chow Chow, #8 in our old neighbourhood. It had a reputation for being a bad dog though I don't know of any unique act it did to get a bad name.

I'm surprised about the Malamute being dangerous. You couldn't have owned a nicer dog than the one my old boss had. He used to bring into the workshop from time to time and it was really well behaved, I never even heard it bark never mind growl. Shame about it biting the inhaler. They do grow to a fair size though and they must be pretty strong.

And yet you own a JR, the one breed that I routinely encounter with dog aggression problems (as opposed to just isolated dogs of other breeds). Often followed by the middle-aged/elderly owner picking it up into their arms and making it snap and snarl even more.

Jack Russells are feisty but they are small and easily controlled and yes, you can pick them up. You cannot say the same for Staffies.

Just as an aside, do you know how to make a dog let go ? You may be faced with a situation where a dog is attacking a child etc ?

A dog handler once told me, take hold of both of the dog's back legs and slowly pull them apart.

The dog will always let go, might turn on you but hey, better than a child.

I'm surprised about the Malamute being dangerous. You couldn't have owned a nicer dog than the one my old boss had. He used to bring into the workshop from time to time and it was really well behaved, I never even heard it bark never mind growl. Shame about it biting the inhaler. They do grow to a fair size though and they must be pretty strong.

Tyrone

The reason those dogs are classed as potentially dangerous is because of their size and or strength NOT because they have a predilection for attacking human beings.

Please don't get sucked in by the ignorant scaremongering alarmists on here. You have a pet dog population of around 8.5 MILLION in the UK and thankfully attacks of the nature discussed are few and far between. Remember we've lived happily along side domesticated Mutts for over 12,000 years now and they give us far more than we give them. :tu:

Staffies are close to Pit Bulls and have a history of biting. Hardly pretty dogs are they?

In your opinion. In mine, a pedigree Staff in proper condition like ours is a stunning dog. As for biting, if you're going to ban Staffies then you have to ban Labradors as the NHS treats more dog bites from labs than any other breed.

In your opinion. In mine, a pedigree Staff in proper condition like ours is a stunning dog. As for biting, if you're going to ban Staffies then you have to ban Labradors as the NHS treats more dog bites from labs than any other breed.

Sorry but I don't believe you. Staffies were originally bred as fighting dogs and that has never been fully bred out of them. Ugly dogs in my opinion but not as ugly as English Bull Terriers (I call them Pig Dogs) or Bulldogs. My ideal pets are Cavaliers and Shih Tzu both of which are well known for their friendly nature. I don't need an aggressive breed as a penis extention.

They are also one of the most loyal, affectionate and intelligent breeds and contrary to ill informed opinion they are very tolerant with kids and given the opportunity will build a great rapport with people in general.

Bull terriers were bred to bait Bulls not people.

They are also one of the most loyal, affectionate and intelligent breeds and contrary to ill informed opinion they are very tolerant with kids and given the opportunity will build a great rapport with people in general.

Bull terriers were bred to bait Bulls not people.

I'm afraid too many ignorant people about. It wasn't that long a go that Staffies were called the 'nanny dog' due to their good nature and a particular bond they form with children.

Sorry but I don't believe you. Staffies were originally bred as fighting dogs and that has never been fully bred out of them. Ugly dogs in my opinion but not as ugly as English Bull Terriers (I call them Pig Dogs) or Bulldogs. My ideal pets are Cavaliers and Shih Tzu both of which are well known for their friendly nature. I don't need an aggressive breed as a penis extention.

Don't believe what? Cavaliers and @#/?? Incredibly thick and ugly.

Don't believe what? Cavaliers and keans? Incredibly thick and ugly.

Ugly? That's not a matter of opinion it's just a downright lie. I don't claim Cavaliers to be intelligent but they were not bred for aggression like Bull Terriers.

EDIT.

Have a look at the "Nice little article" you submitted yourself. Number one is the Shih-Tzu, described as "Intelligent little dogs, fun companions".

Whereas Staffies are "A powerful, muscular dog......fearless, it can be slightly combative with other dogs". Of course it can, that's what it was bred for

• Backroom

We have a Shih Tzu and a cross breed of a similar size, our two year old loves them but when he was younger and even now he'd be too rough with them unintentionally, they have never snapped or shown any aggression when that happened but you can't be too careful.

A child is likely to pull a dogs tail and the bigger the dog the more dangerous any quick defensive reaction would be.

• Moderation Lead

Perhaps, but I'd wager labradore was one of the most popular breeds of dog.

Archived