BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tragic news

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have you watched the clip in the link? that doesn't look like a fancy part of town to me, total opposite, it looks like a traditional non touristy area

Without wanting to sound like Prince Phillip, the Chinese would eat anything that once moved.

yes, that market looks typical of local Chinese markets, probably about a mile long and he found what 2/3 stalls out about 1000, Your right non tourist area so that is where a restaurant would buy its produce, run of the mill and top restaurants. Yes the Chinese are very much like the French in that they do not like to waste anything when it comes to food. They also know how to cook the diverse protein that is available to them, the art of cooking is fast disappearing in the western world, even so called gastro enterprises are micro waving pre-cooked meals

“Albert grunted. "Do you know what happens to lads who ask too many questions?"

Mort thought for a moment.

"No," he said eventually, "what?"

There was silence.

Then Albert straightened up and said, "Damned if I know. Probably they get answers, and serve 'em right.”

― Terry Pratchett,

At the risk of enhancing my reputation as a man with a dislike of our canine friends what do people think of the following.

Me and my pal went over to a very nice pub in Hebden Bridge last night. It's a newly refurbished pub that does quality bar food. It's also quite expensive. Me and my pal ordered our drinks and sat down. At a nearby table a middle aged couple were putting the boat out, having a nice meal. Starters, two bottles red wine etc, not a cheap night out.

Sat with their noses about 2 inches from the edge of their table were two biggish Spaniels ( I think, big floppy ears ). The dogs never moved a muscle, their concentration on their owners food was awesome. They just sat there staring at every mouthful. You couldn't even tell they were breathing ! The Starters went and the guy gets up to go for a leak. At this moment the main courses arrive, two steaks I think. The woman is holding onto the dogs for grim death until her bloke gets back.

He gets back, the dogs resume the position. The couple eat some of their main course and then begin alternating between feeding little bits to the dogs with their hands and then going back to their meal with their own knives and forks. This goes on for quite a while.

My questions 1) Should dogs be allowed into places that sell cooked food ? 2) Should the owners be feeding them out of their hands in a public place ?

My questions 1) Should dogs be allowed into places that sell cooked food ? 2) Should the owners be feeding them out of their hands in a public place ?

Why not? From your example these customers and their pets were hurting no one.

If on the other hand the dogs got out of control, I think they should be ejected. And if someone is bit or otherwise assaulted, prosecuted.

Why not? From your example these customers and their pets were hurting no one.

If on the other hand the dogs got out of control, I think they should be ejected. And if someone is bit or otherwise assaulted, prosecuted.

100% agree

you just don't seem to like dogs of any kind or temperament tyrone(which is fine ofcourse, aslong as you don't get all preachy) are you a cat person at all?(personally I like both, but prefer dogs because of the closer bond and loyalty you get with them)

p.s. dogs are usually just as clean and hygienic as humans(aside from peeing on every upright surface they pass)

A

1. Absolutely not, especially in a good quality place like the one you describe. If I had been on an adjoining table I would have complained to the diners and the management.

2. No they should not, for the same reason. It's Ok in the pub garden in summer, but nowhere else.

And I'm a dog lover.

1. Absolutely not, especially in a good quality place like the one you describe. If I had been on an adjoining table I would have complained to the diners and the management.

2. No they should not, for the same reason. It's Ok in the pub garden in summer, but nowhere else.

And I'm a dog lover. 

Got to agree with this. If I'm going out somewhere to eat I don't expect to share it with a dog. If food and drink is involved the place for the dog is outside.

We don't have animals now but have had dogs and cats as pets. I would never have taken our dogs into a pub or restaurant.

At the risk of enhancing my reputation as a man with a dislike of our canine friends what do people think of the following.

Me and my pal went over to a very nice pub in Hebden Bridge last night. It's a newly refurbished pub that does quality bar food. It's also quite expensive. Me and my pal ordered our drinks and sat down. At a nearby table a middle aged couple were putting the boat out, having a nice meal. Starters, two bottles red wine etc, not a cheap night out.

Sat with their noses about 2 inches from the edge of their table were two biggish Spaniels ( I think, big floppy ears ). The dogs never moved a muscle, their concentration on their owners food was awesome. They just sat there staring at every mouthful. You couldn't even tell they were breathing ! The Starters went and the guy gets up to go for a leak. At this moment the main courses arrive, two steaks I think. The woman is holding onto the dogs for grim death until her bloke gets back.

He gets back, the dogs resume the position. The couple eat some of their main course and then begin alternating between feeding little bits to the dogs with their hands and then going back to their meal with their own knives and forks. This goes on for quite a while.

As Steve asked, why ever not? They don't pose a health risk by being there and provided they aren't being a nuisance then I see no problem. It's something I've done almost all my life, out for a good yomp with the mutt(s) and then a pie and pint in my local on the way back and I'm pleased to say I can't think of a single objection in all those years.

As Steve asked, why ever not? They don't pose a health risk by being there and provided they aren't being a nuisance then I see no problem. It's something I've done almost all my life, out for a good yomp with the mutt(s) and then a pie and pint in my local on the way back and I'm pleased to say I can't think of a single objection in all those years.

Hail hail common sense

As Steve asked, why ever not? They don't pose a health risk by being there .

Roundworms

Hookworm

Tapeworm

Lyme disease

Scabies

Ringworm

Fleas

Ticks

E.coli

to name a few. That's why most places serving food to the public don't permit dogs

Roundworms

Hookworm

Tapeworm

Lyme disease

Scabies

Ringworm

Fleas

Ticks

E.coli

to name a few. That's why most places serving food to the public don't permit dogs

And when was the last time you caught any of those from a dog? How about?..... Never! And you certainly won't catch anything from my mutt curled up at my feet whilst I have a pint and something to eat. Now please tell me Paul when was the last time you saw a dog in a pub or restaurant kitchen? Can I ask, do you have a dog? Do you eat at home if so? Oh and as you appear to be an expert on diseases/ parasites in dogs perhaps you'd be so kind as to give us all the transmission methods from dogs to humans of said diseases.(And how prevalent said diseases are among dog owners and those that patronise eateries that allow dogs on the premises) Were I you Paul I'd be more concerned about what the individual sitting next to me (or indeed the one cooking the food) is carrying,rather than spending time worrying about what Muttley may or may not have.

Got to agree with this. If I'm going out somewhere to eat I don't expect to share it with a dog. If food and drink is involved the place for the dog is outside.

We don't have animals now but have had dogs and cats as pets. I would never have taken our dogs into a pub or restaurant.

No one asked you to share it with a dog. The sharers were the owners only. Having said that I am not keen on dogs in restaurants.

Archived