BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tragic news

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you see the programme? It spoke for itself.

By the way you missed aggression from your list of attributes. That's why they baited

No I didn't see the programme. I thought fearless courage was a perfect description. Now what was your point?

By the way. aggression can't be bred into a dog. That is learned behaviour (passed on from outside stimuli ). We can however breed in physical characteristics a la bull terriers. So contrary to your fears not all of them are aggressive.

Reidy You're a Star, on 21 Mar 2014 - 5:23 PM, said:snapback.png

There's no such thing as a bad dog, just bad owners.

The way some people just can't raise kids some people just can't raise dogs.

Isn't that the English equivalent of "guns don't kill people, people kill people"?

When some arse hole pulls the trigger do we hold the gun to account or the half wit holding the gun?

Reidy You're a Star, on 21 Mar 2014 - 5:23 PM, said:snapback.png

The way some people just can't raise kids some people just can't raise dogs.

When some arse hole pulls the trigger do we hold the gun to account or the half wit holding the gun?

Maybe we should hold the half wit who allowed the half wit to buy the gun to account

No I didn't see the programme. I thought fearless courage was a perfect description. Now what was your point?

By the way. aggression can't be bred into a dog. That is learned behaviour (passed on from outside stimuli ). We can however breed in physical characteristics a la bull terriers. So contrary to your fears not all of them are aggressive.

Never said they are ALL aggressive but a bigger percentage of them are than a lot of other breeds. If you prefer "Fearless courage" so be it. I would translate that as "Aggressive". They are not the only breed either. I would also ban Rotties and Dobermans amongst others.

In fact the little rat dogs are usually the ones who run up off the lead and get in my dogs' faces and start growling..

There's no such thing as a bad dog, just bad owners.

How very true.I own a very placid Springer Spaniel who is never aggressive and it winds me up something chronic when the 'little dog syndrome' kicks in with other smaller breeds.

Bloody Yorskshire Terriers!...... :angry2:

Never said they are ALL aggressive but a bigger percentage of them are than a lot of other breeds. If you prefer "Fearless courage" so be it. I would translate that as "Aggressive". They are not the only breed either. I would also ban Rotties and Dobermans amongst others.

You really do seem to be missing the point. No dog is born "naturally aggressive" or more aggressive than the next breed if you prefer. As stated in my previous post it's not something that can be bred into them and I think the fact you would ban any breed of dog simply illustrates your lack of knowledge on the subject as a whole.(No offense intended) Bad owners raise bad dogs. Good owners raise good dogs, regardless of breed.

You really do seem to be missing the point. No dog is born "naturally aggressive" or more aggressive than the next breed if you prefer. As stated in my previous post it's not something that can be bred into them and I think the fact you would ban any breed of dog simply illustrates your lack of knowledge on the subject as a whole.(No offense intended) Bad owners raise bad dogs. Good owners raise good dogs, regardless of breed.

I'm not missing any point. You say aggression is not bred into any dogs. I say it is. It can often be trained out of them but all too often it isn't. Best to ban the ones with built in aggression. I am not lacking in any knowledge having bred and shown dogs in the past as well as other livestock. It is you who lacks knowledge. In my opinion of course.

I'm not missing any point. You say aggression is not bred into any dogs. I say it is. It can often be trained out of them but all too often it isn't. Best to ban the ones with built in aggression. I am not lacking in any knowledge having bred and shown dogs in the past as well as other livestock. It is you who lacks knowledge. In my opinion of course.

I was a dog handler for 22 years in the British army and I'm also a qualified canine psychologist. I can tell you from a professional perspective that aggression is a response to a set stimuli ( Fear for example) and as such cannot be "bred" into a dog, conditioned to, yes, bred into , no. Whether you

believe this, is your choice, but a fact is a fact.

Well I hate to pull rank, but I was a dog handler for 22 years in the British army and I'm also a qualified canine psychologist.

You can't pull rank now, you are in civvi street, live with it

Well I hate to pull rank, but I was a dog handler for 22 years in the British army and I'm also a qualified canine psychologist.

So we are both knowledgeable but you are still wrong.

So we are both knowledgeable but you are still wrong.

Sorry no more comments today. Unlike some I'm off to the match.

As a non dog lover ( but not a dog hater ) I found the programme very revealing. The way the Akita was transformed from a very aggressive dog into a well behaved animal was amazing. The real point the programme made was that lots inadequate people seem to think they have a right to own a dog or dogs and then mistreat them terribly. The fool that was insisting there was nothing wrong with his dog when it was visibly being starved to death was just typical I'm afraid.

Maybe some people should be banned from owning dogs.

There's also no such thing as a safe dog. Any dog - however well trained - can turn in an instant.

true. I like Bull Terriers and Staffs. They are normally very friendly but if the do turn they have some fearsome weaponry.

I must say I dislike and distrust Alsatians. I really struggle to read their intentions.

Yorkshire Terriers!...... :angry2:

Yorkshire and Terrier..... not a good combination.

Archived