BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tragic news

I like dogs but nonetheless, for topics here, I can't help but post one more nightmare news story:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_jersey/20140302_ap_420597cb3a4f4ef69ba0daa813d1d84e.html

The owner took after the dog as well and stabbed him to get him to stop.

It looks like the dog in question is a "Brindle Bull Mastiff" vs. just being a "Bull Mastiff" if there is a difference, http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images15/Bullmastiff16montholdbrindle100_0013.JPG

Couldn't resist, don't want to stir things up, if I were on foot or I am on the bike, I might consider having some sort of walking stick (steel, I have what is called a "power twister" or "bendy bar" for exercise which weighing 7 pounds, still could put up a defence), something to pull out. That attack in New Jersey sounds very ugly.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No moral outrage? No righteous indignation? No calls for mass banning, neutering or good old fashioned death? So nobody out there then? Just Audax who posts yet another story about how bad doggies are? Oh well! Makes you wonder then eh?

• 2 weeks later...

A 22 pound Himalayan cat gave a few minor scratches to a baby that pulled its tail and cornered the family that owned him. The cat is going to undergo psychological counseling.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2578557/Oregon-couple-attacked-cat-plans-help.html#ixzz2vkcalXZV

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2014/03/12/Oregon-cat-that-trapped-family-will-undergo-therapy/4941394627495/?spt=sec∨=on

• Backroom

A 22 pound Himalayan cat gave a few minor scratches to a baby that pulled its tail and cornered the family that owned him. The cat is going to undergo psychological counseling.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2578557/Oregon-couple-attacked-cat-plans-help.html#ixzz2vkcalXZV

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2014/03/12/Oregon-cat-that-trapped-family-will-undergo-therapy/4941394627495/?spt=sec∨=on

If that was a dog, it'd be sent to Korea in a tin.

As I'm probably the only member on here to have eaten dog meat I thought I'd share some insight.

I had it in a traditional spicy soup that some of the older generation here in Korea believe gives them energy to get through the hot, humid summer.

To be honest, it was quite tasty. It was similar in texture to slow cooked lamb. But immediately after eating it I felt some pangs of guilt. I decided then there was no need to have it again.

This is the overwhelming opinion of the younger Korean generations. I've taught students from elementary up to university and tutored adults too. The vast majority would maybe try it once if their grandmother made it for them. But they would certainly not make it a habit. Dog meat is somewhat difficult to come across seeing as it is technically illegal to process the meat. That means it is only individual butchers in small markets that sell it. Recently there have been several hygiene scandals involving market butchers. All this adds up to a dramatic fall in consumption of dog over the past decade. I've noticed it personally too, as the restaurants that I used to notice selling it around Daegu and Ulsan have all closed down in the last few years.

As people in the cities become more wealthy, owning a pet dog, especially one of a decent size, is a sign of success. Therefore people's attitudes towards dogs are changing. No longer is it just a native Korean breed of the animal kept for security on a farm, and a cheap source of protein in the harsh summer and winter. It is now a pet, a companion for the many single and families in a growing suburbia. It is easy to forget that South Korea had a GDP comparable to Sierra Leone or Mali in the 1950s and 60s. The older generation here grew up in third world conditions. Korea has come so far, so fast. But attitudes always take a little longer to change.

By the way, if you want to see what real Korean food looks like, the Hairy Bikers tour of Asia comes to Korea on this Thursday night on BBC 2. Kimchi, fried chicken and lots of red pepper.

Kim Chi is delicious, mainly pickled cabbage is what I understand it to be, expensive to buy, I've read articles on the net about making one's own Kim Chi. I know some Koreans eat a fair amount of Sea Weed, however it is fixed. I also eat Miso ever so often, I know, Japanese name, Miso is fermented Soy.

• Backroom

As I'm probably the only member on here to have eaten dog meat I thought I'd share some insight.

I had it in a traditional spicy soup that some of the older generation here in Korea believe gives them energy to get through the hot, humid summer.

To be honest, it was quite tasty. It was similar in texture to slow cooked lamb. But immediately after eating it I felt some pangs of guilt. I decided then there was no need to have it again.

This is the overwhelming opinion of the younger Korean generations. I've taught students from elementary up to university and tutored adults too. The vast majority would maybe try it once if their grandmother made it for them. But they would certainly not make it a habit. Dog meat is somewhat difficult to come across seeing as it is technically illegal to process the meat. That means it is only individual butchers in small markets that sell it. Recently there have been several hygiene scandals involving market butchers. All this adds up to a dramatic fall in consumption of dog over the past decade. I've noticed it personally too, as the restaurants that I used to notice selling it around Daegu and Ulsan have all closed down in the last few years.

As people in the cities become more wealthy, owning a pet dog, especially one of a decent size, is a sign of success. Therefore people's attitudes towards dogs are changing. No longer is it just a native Korean breed of the animal kept for security on a farm, and a cheap source of protein in the harsh summer and winter. It is now a pet, a companion for the many single and families in a growing suburbia. It is easy to forget that South Korea had a GDP comparable to Sierra Leone or Mali in the 1950s and 60s. The older generation here grew up in third world conditions. Korea has come so far, so fast. But attitudes always take a little longer to change.

By the way, if you want to see what real Korean food looks like, the Hairy Bikers tour of Asia comes to Korea on this Thursday night on BBC 2. Kimchi, fried chicken and lots of red pepper.

Kimchi is a stunning dish. Absolutely delicious.

the Hairy Bikers

Interesting post thanks ultrablue.

As for those two I'd rather have my teeth pulled out with red hot pliers than watch them!!!!!!!!!!!

Not so!

Very interesting film. Some people shouldn't be allowed to own dogs. It's really that simple.

Thought you might chirp up but I happen to agree you on this.

Interesting that most of the dogs were bull terrier types.

Thought you might chirp up but I happen to agree you on this.

Interesting that most of the dogs were bull terrier types.

Al. As the name implies Bull terriers were bred to bait bulls NOT fight other dogs. The fact that mindless arse holes have since capitlised on the breeds attributes(strength, tenacity and fearless courage) and misused them in an horrendous way is not the fault of the breed. Your prejudice is really not necessary, as having worked and known many of them over the years I can promise you that on the whole they are a fantastic companion, a great guard and extremely tolerant of and affectionate with kids

Al. As the name implies Bull terriers were bred to bait bulls NOT fight other dogs. The fact that mindless arse holes have since capitlised on the breeds attributes(strength, tenacity and fearless courage) and misused them in an horrendous way is not the fault of the breed. Your prejudice is really not necessary, as having worked and known many of them over the years I can promise you that on the whole they are a fantastic companion, a great guard and extremely tolerant of and affectionate with kids

Did you see the programme? It spoke for itself.

By the way you missed aggression from your list of attributes. That's why they baited bulls.

Ive got two Staffordshire Bull Terriers and they wouldn't hurt a fly. They get a bad name and it really annoys me when people pull their dogs and children away from them when walking them (on the lead). Any dog can be dangerous if not trained properly, be that a staffie, alsation or jack russel. In fact the little rat dogs are usually the ones who run up off the lead and get in my dogs' faces and start growling..

There's no such thing as a bad dog, just bad owners.

Archived