BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Lowe / Williamson Midfield

I keep thinking back to the Barnsley match where I had the best view of any Rovers fan. We completely dominated the midfield. We played 4-4-2 but with Lowe, Williamson, Dunn and Cairney in midfield. It was more like a 4-2-2-2 formation - without wingers - yet Henley and Spurr were excellent in bombing forward and causing their defence all sorts of problems. In return, Williamson and Lowe provided cover.

The two direct reasons for us conceding two goals were due to defender errors. A lack of marking and a silly push in the penalty area. That aside, this was one of the most dominant midfield performances I've seen in a long time. And I'm normally a proponent of wing play.

When we play 4-4-2 with wingers then Lowe and Williamson in the doesn't seem to work. The formation becomes to rigid and predictable.

I can't bear to watch the highlights of yesterday's match so I don't know much about it but before we jump on Williamson's and Lowe's backs I think you have to bear in mind the formation first.

Err, where are Barnsley in the league ?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's not forget that out of all our central CM's - Lowe, Cairney and Williamson have been the only ones fit for most the season. Cairney has neither the experience or the defensive nous to play in a two. (IMO) I also think his creativity and delivery is wasted if he is in our own half.

The others - Dunn, Evans, Etuhu, Marrow. Dunn is far more effective behind the striker when fit, Evans has had 3 months off after missing the first 3 weeks of the season and the less said about Etuhu the better. Marrow obviously not up to it.

I have concerns with Williamson because he is obviously lacking mobility and any amount of strength, energy. He would be on the bench if not for the injury problems, in favour of our younger midfielders. One of the problems that lead to inconsistency is a lack of experience. He is the only player out of the list who has genuine experience. As a backup, I think fine for this level but I can't wait till we have Cairney and Evans fit so we can try to play the 433 or 4312 that looked excellent a few times earlier in the season.

Shame Dabo hasn't been good enough come straight in - he could have solved a lot of our injury worries.

IMO I've yet to see what Williamson brings in any guise. You say hes a better footballer but I don't see it. The way I see it is Williamson wasn't good enough for Sheff Utd and nobody in the professional game bar Appleton thought he was worth giving a contract.

God knows why but Danny Wilson wanted to keep him at Sheff United but he refused to sign a new contract.

Let's not forget that out of all our central CM's - Lowe, Cairney and Williamson have been the only ones fit for most the season. Cairney has neither the experience or the defensive nous to play in a two. (IMO) I also think his creativity and delivery is wasted if he is in our own half.

But there lies the problem. Neither Lowe nor Williamson offer this mythical 'defensive nous' which people seem to use to justify why they play. A player to fill that role was number one priority at the end of last season. Many people said it numerous times on here. Whilst the likes of Cairney, Taylor, Marshall, Gestede have all had some positive impact, we obviously had money to spend on bringing players in and Bowyer didn't address this key area.

But there lies the problem. Neither Lowe nor Williamson offer this mythical 'defensive nous' which people seem to use to justify why they play. A player to fill that role was number one priority at the end of last season. Many people said it numerous times on here. Whilst the likes of Cairney, Taylor, Marshall, Gestede have all had some positive impact, we obviously had money to spend on bringing players in and Bowyer didn't address this key area.

If your advocating the signing of MORE defensive midfielders then I am not sure what to say. If I am mistaken, and you are talking about investing at CB, then I agree with you - Dann should have been replaced.

As for the Lowe/Williamson not offering anything defensive - i'd look at the clean sheets we have accrued this season. It is down to team effort. Lowe in particular has a lot of the ball winning qualities that are useful to the defensive aspect of our tactics. That is not forgetting some of the individual errors they (and lots of other players) have made in some games.

If your advocating the signing of MORE defensive midfielders then I am not sure what to say. If I am mistaken, and you are talking about investing at CB, then I agree with you - Dann should have been replaced.

As for the Lowe/Williamson not offering anything defensive - i'd look at the clean sheets we have accrued this season. It is down to team effort. Lowe in particular has a lot of the ball winning qualities that are useful to the defensive aspect of our tactics. That is not forgetting some of the individual errors they (and lots of other players) have made in some games.

I disagree. Neither are good enough as a DM to be at the heart of a promotion challenging side. The number 1 priority in my mind back in August was signing a defensive midfielder who would be first name on the team sheet. Evans may have been this man but, once we lost him for the length of time we did, trundling along with these two in midfield was always going to result in failure as far as top 6 was concerned. Lowe's ball-winning qualities are very overrated by some and i think he lacks physical presence in midfield.

I disagree. Neither are good enough as a DM to be at the heart of a promotion challenging side. The number 1 priority in my mind back in August was signing a defensive midfielder who would be first name on the team sheet. Evans may have been this man but, once we lost him for the length of time we did, trundling along with these two in midfield was always going to result in failure as far as top 6 was concerned. Lowe's ball-winning qualities are very overrated by some and i think he lacks physical presence in midfield.

Lowe seemed OK when partnering Evans in the games I saw. The problem to me is that Williamson is so poor it is actually effecting an entire unit. Once Evans was injured for a lengthy period then signing a central midfielder was important. We thought he addressed that with Dabo but it appears he's not the answer. Hopefully Evans will start on Sunday.

Still took him from August to the following Feb to find another idiot to take him. Sad state of affairs that he could afford to take a 7 month break without pay.

No it didn't. He signed for Portsmouth, played 22 games for them before being released when they had to let loads of players go for financial reasons. Are you just randomly making stuff up here?

Lowe seemed OK when partnering Evans in the games I saw. The problem to me is that Williamson is so poor it is actually effecting an entire unit. Once Evans was injured for a lengthy period then signing a central midfielder was important. We thought he addressed that with Dabo but it appears he's not the answer. Hopefully Evans will start on Sunday.

There's the problem. We can get away with playing one of them with someone competent but not both together. By all accounts Williamson was good at Leeds on new years day without Lowe. Why can't Bowyer see this????

No it didn't. He signed for Portsmouth, played 22 games for them before being released when they had to let loads of players go for financial reasons. Are you just randomly making stuff up here?

There's the problem. We can get away with playing one of them with someone competent but not both together. By all accounts Williamson was good at Leeds on new years day without Lowe.

Nope forgot about Portsmouth connections. Sorry. Williamson had one good game which I did not watch. Sorry I missed that one. Still one of the worst players I've seen in blue n white.

Nope forgot about Portsmouth connections. Sorry. Williamson had one good game which I did not watch. Sorry I missed that one. Still one of the worst players I've seen in blue n white.

Just to clarify, I agree with you that he's poor. I also think Lowe is as poor also. I don't want a debate about who's worse. I just don't want them playing together ever again.

So your advocating the purchase of more midfielders! To that I have absolutely nothing to say but wake up.

To you opinion of Lowe, I do have a lot to say though because I'm always ready to back the guys talents up. So many short sighted fans (I'm not suggesting you are) seem to think he offers litte to nothing for our team, but I have a complete different opinion. Rather than type it again I fished this out from 5 months ago.

Forgetting some of the more negative comments by 95% of rovers fans over the last few weeks;

I thought Jason was excellent yesterday. I was massively impressed by him breaking up Barnsley's play, and an improved level of sideways and backward distributions, giving Spurr, Kane, Cairney and even Dann chances to play diagonals to the wings and set up counters and goal scoring opportunities.

Jason reminds me of Jon Jensen. I know that probably sounds a bit ridiculous, but I believe Jason is getting into the kind of physical stature that makes him an animal on the field. We remember his early games (chelsea away) where he still had his proverbial "kid" head, but he definitely looks a beast to me now, especially in the way he covers every single blade of grass.

We know he is not the kind of easy on the eye creative force, but I take pleasure from the sheer graft he puts into winning possession. When you put an accomplished passer in Cairney next to him, it gives Jason a freedom to support all phases of play, and he is particularly good at defending counter attacks. I also think that the best players can play different positions and he was never a bad right back either. (especially compared to Hardley Orr-inspiring)

He will get better by playing, that is a given. Lots of managers and coaches have thought Jason was something special, and I believe he will be regarded as a mid table premier league club stalwart box to box midfielder by his prime. Hopefully this will be with us.

So your advocating the purchase of more midfielders! To that I have absolutely nothing to say but wake up.

If you think our midfield is adequate, it's no wonder we don't agree.

If you think our midfield is adequate, it's no wonder we don't agree.

Williamson, Cairney, Etuhu, Marrow, Evans, Dabo, Lowe, Dunn. Thats 7 "Central Midfielders" for 2/3 positions.

All I am saying is surely priority should be for Centre backs. If that whole lineup CM's was fit, this discussion would be completely irrelevant.

...And well done for picking up one aspect of the post again fella!

Williamson, Cairney, Etuhu, Marrow, Evans, Dabo, Lowe, Dunn. Thats 7 "Central Midfielders" for 2/3 positions.

I should just laugh and say quantity over quality but let's have a look...

Williamson - not good enough, squadie

Cairney - our best CM who Bowyer won't play there (you're just making it worse with this one)

Etuhu - Ha. Read between the lines. He'll never play for us again. Oh and he's a crock.

Marrow - left hasn't he?

Evans - would be paired with Cairney in my midfield

Dabo - big question mark - cannot be in anyone's lists yet

Lowe - don't get me started, squadie over-promoted

Dunn - great but past it

We have two CMs in Cairney and Evans, with two as cover for the bench in Lowe and Williamson. Bowyer sees it the other way around. If Evans is fit enough for the bench, he should be starting. Let's see but I suspect he won't.

In My Humble Agenda.

You couldn't have put it more apt Stuart and your dedication to talking to brick walls in admirable.

So we can all agree that Bowyer has neglected the quality of the midfield as well as the quality and quantity of the defence?

heaven help us if we get an injury upfront as were not exactly blessed with quality and quantity there either.

A better summation could be that Bowyer has done a mediocre to shabby job*

*Based on squad quality and points tally

I should just laugh and say quantity over quality but let's have a look...

Williamson - not good enough, squadie

Cairney - our best CM who Bowyer won't play there (you're just making it worse with this one)

Etuhu - Ha. Read between the lines. He'll never play for us again. Oh and he's a crock.

Marrow - left hasn't he?

Evans - would be paired with Cairney in my midfield

Dabo - big question mark - cannot be in anyone's lists yet

Lowe - don't get me started, squadie over-promoted

Dunn - great but past it

We have two CMs in Cairney and Evans, with two as cover for the bench in Lowe and Williamson. Bowyer sees it the other way around. If Evans is fit enough for the bench, he should be starting. Let's see but I suspect he won't.

In My Humble Agenda.

Yes your humble agenda sums it up pretty good. Again, Agenda not opinion on Lowe as it is not backed up with anything other than "he's an overpromoted squaddie". All these people who have worked with Jason, coached him, picked him for England youth selects must be completely wrong in their views of his talents.

The irrelevance is that you don't need to be qualified in football matters to see what he offers. The shame is, you don't see highlights of counter attacks being broken up or ball winning tackles to win back possession (unless it leads to goal... Like the reading away one..).. And thus your agenda falls down. I'm starting to believe that you don't watch anything beyond highlights.

Yes your humble agenda sums it up pretty good. Again, Agenda not opinion on Lowe as it is not backed up with anything other than "he's an overpromoted squaddie". All these people who have worked with Jason, coached him, picked him for England youth selects must be completely wrong in their views of his talents.

The irrelevance is that you don't need to be qualified in football matters to see what he offers. The shame is, you don't see highlights of counter attacks being broken up or ball winning tackles to win back possession (unless it leads to goal... Like the reading away one..).. And thus your agenda falls down. I'm starting to believe that you don't watch anything beyond highlights.

Enough's enough mate. You are clearly just having a laugh.

Once again. Agenda dismissive.

And the schoolyard "you must just watch the highlights" thrown in there to show 'debating' prowess

Football is devisive. Fans disagree on everything. Even some can think Messi is over rated.

Lowe hasn't got an engine, no defenive nous, cannot track or tackle. He brings nothing to the table irrespecive of what managerial mammoths such as Bowyer (arf), Pearce (guffaw), Berg (hoot), Kean (oh dear) and Appleton (give me strenght) think.

He's certainly no Mark Atkins that's for sure (and some thought that Champion of England was a clogger)-

Once again. Agenda dismissive.

And the schoolyard "you must just watch the highlights" thrown in there to show 'debating' prowess

Football is devisive. Fans disagree on everything. Even some can think Messi is over rated.

Lowe hasn't got an engine, no defenive nous, cannot track or tackle. He brings nothing to the table irrespecive of what managerial mammoths such as Bowyer (arf), Pearce (guffaw), Berg (hoot), Kean (oh dear) and Appleton (give me strenght) think.

He's certainly no Mark Atkins that's for sure (and some thought that Champion of England was a clogger)-

Horses for course, I'd rather go with the view of some of the guys you mentioned. Specifically as one of them has how many premier league medals as a centre back and the other played in how many international tournaments for England? Saying he lacks mobility is the definition of watching a football match with your eyes closed.

Enough's enough mate. You are clearly just having a laugh.

Clearly. I find it hilarious as you answer to any measure of debate is to completely ignore any element you cannot discuss. I did see you as a poster with some element of reason but after this morning that has completely gone.

Ditto.

I read somewhere that Cairney has made 78 tackles this season, winning half of them. Not bad for a player pigeon holed as something of a luxury.

Can someone tell me how many the Ewood Enforcer Lowe has made? I'd be interested to know because I rarely see him tackle, he can close down and cover the ground but not sure on his tackling.

Archived