BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League 2015 - Quarters now

It's now quarter final time in the Champions League. There will be some excellent games coming up. I am looking forward to them.

As is being debated in the Premier League thread no English team made it to the last 8. The majority opinion is that for all the money awash the top of the Premier League for that to happen is a disgrace. No doubt there will be considerable head scratching done in the press on ways to improve - just like with England after the usual tournament disappointment, but will it make a difference?

This year's English entrants were;

Liverpool - knocked out in the group stage.

They were terrible before Christmas, unfortunately for them. If they'd have played anything like they are now they'd have been through. Draws in Ludogorets and at home against Basel did them. The latter especially. A 2 goal win would have seen them advance.

Chelsea - lost to PSG on away goals.

2 draws but went out on away goals. They got hammered in Paris but scraped a draw. Then tried the usual Mourinho park the bus at home, but failed. 1-0 and 2-1 up at home to a team playing with 10 men and they still couldn't progress. Shocking.

Man City - lost 3-1 to Barcelona

2-1 at home and 1-0 away doesn't really tell the story of the absolute hammering City got at the hands of Barcelona. They were run ragged over 2 legs - the 1st half at home especially. City aren't playing well at the moment but I don't think it would have mattered.

Arsenal - lost to Monaco on away goals.

Typical Arsenal did their usual and bottled it when it mattered. A last minute goal at home condemned them. They were never going to score 3 away. Although they did "give it a right good go". When will Wenger realise that he needs a top central defender and a midfield terrier?

To move on. Who do we have left;

Bayern Munich - Put up a cricket score against 10 man Shakhtar Donetsk after a boring 0-0 away. They are frighteningly good and look the team to beat for me. Led up front by Robert Lewandowski. Just think, if it wasn't for his former club asking for an extra few quid he could have been plying his trade at Ewood. What a mistake he made.

Real Madrid - last years champs are still a major force but the press is all over them for scraping through after getting beat 4-3 at home by Schalke. They could have easily gone out too. Ronaldo, Bale, and Benzema will slice through anyone but I think they can come a cropper at the back, especially with Pepe playing.

Porto - rag dolled Basel. I don't know much about them other than they bore me to death and at the end of the season 3 of their players will move to big clubs for big money, as happens every year to Portuguese teams.

Juventus - ran over a poor Dortmund team. The only Italian team through. They are walking Serie A so could easily rest players and concentrate on the next Champs League game. They have some very good players; Pogba, Vidal, Buffon, so are a danger.

Atletico Madrid- beat Leverkusen on penalties. They aren't a shadow of last season's beaten finalists but Simeone keeps them going. I like Arda Turan. Watch for them to draw Real and get tonked.

PSG - beat Chelsea. They are a good side. They have pace and movement and a will to keep going. Even including flat track bully Zlatan they have some talent, all bought with oil money.

Monaco - beat Arsenal. They shouldn't be in this round but credit to them for not looking a gift horse in the mouth. They have no special players, but are organised. It's the perfect spot for Berbatov. A far cry from the bright lights of Manchester.

Barcelona - Beat Man City. On their day they are unstoppable. Suarez, Neymar, and Messi are wonderful to watch. However, I can see them getting overrun in midfield by more physically powerful opponents.

I think the draw is tomorrow.

The draw is tomorrow yea. English clubs need to sort it out really. I've talked about this in the premier league thread but -

Liverpool although poor, were unfortunate to have Sturridge injured and their form has drastically improved since the new year. Saying that, Rodgers should have bought better than Lambert and Balotelli, and made better signings in the summer. One proper signing like Sanchez as opposed to Lallana and Markovic for example.

Arsenal shouldn't have been knocked out by someone like Monaco but would have just been knocked out by the first decent team they faced anyway. They need a new manager for me, to mix things up a bit.

City need to change their squad round a bit, cash in on Yaya whilst they still can. Chelsea were too defensive at home although PSG impressed me a lot over both legs.

Bayern look very strong. Interesting to see how far they get and whether Guardiola has realised you need a Plan B yet.

Barca are really on form at the moment and their front 3 is definitely the best around. Never been the greatest defensively.

Atletico are not on form at the moment, particularly struggling away from home. Still have a great manager who's instilled a great team ethic, plus they have some quality as well, particuarly with Griezmann and Turan. Defensively solid and a massive threat from set pieces. I think they're a dark horse, as they're out the title race now.

Real Madrid are also off-form, Ronaldo at the moment back to his petulant best. They were missing Modric big time though who is back from injury now. A win over Barca on Sunday could do them the world of good.

PSG are contenders for me, look a very good team, with a couple of truly world-class players in the side.

Juventus seem to fall short in recent years but have plenty of experience and some quality players as well.

I'd like to see Barca vs Real in the next round.

I generally support the slightly more foreign teams (though it's hard to tell these days). I remember several years back that Real Madrid conceivably could have fielded more English players than teams like Chelsea.

It's a pity Hart played so well last night as it would have been nice for City to have got a proper thrashing.

I only do it to wind up the proper glory hunters - but sometimes I tell those guys that I support Madrid or Barca. ^_^

• 2 months later...
  • Moderation Lead

Barcelona were never really in that much danger imo. Juve had them on the ropes after they scored, but they were a class above throughout.

• Backroom

And Pirlo was the only player to remain a class above after the game. Legend. How many men his age could play in a World Cup Final today and fit in perfectly?

Archived