BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] How about.........

.......A Venkys section similar to ICBINF or the bygone games section? That way anyone who wants to talk about ownership could go over there. Similarly could comments and speculation regarding the manager be confined to the Gary Bowyer and match day threads? (on the proviso that posts about the manager should be post match)

Is this doable? Would it work? Would posters want to do this?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

How about also, people that want to argue with every post, do it via PM or ignore the posters whose content they don't like?

It's very tiresome to read all this squabbling I'll be honest.

How about also, people that want to argue with every post, do it via PM or ignore the posters whose content they don't like?

It's very tiresome to read all this squabbling I'll be honest.

I'll take that as a 'no' then!

• Moderation Lead

I'll take that as a 'no' then!

You've got a point to be fair, but unfortunately it's inevitable that Venky's will get dragged into every discussion as they're central to why we are where we are.

You've got a point to be fair, but unfortunately it's inevitable that Venky's will get dragged into every discussion as they're central to why we are where we are.

I think a lot of the spats stem from the ownership issue. It's certainly a big topic, probably the biggest but if opinion could be ring fenced it could herald the outbreak of peace on here. If it would be possible then I think a section could contain debate about Venkys encapsulating threads that develop along with the discourse.

Or posters could just act like adults and not get into slanging matches? Just a thought.

It isn't just on here. I've seen other football and non football forums that get very feisty as well. Passions run high, people get entrenched and won't back down, vendettas are carried out and cliques form. Preventative measures (even temporary ones?) might help. It isn't the best but, as the Fellwalker further up demonstrated, you can't legislate for the way people carry on.

• Backroom

There's nothing wrong with passionate debate, but the kind of childish tit for tat insults that take place on here are just tiresome. If the board was moderated it would have been dealt with a while ago, but in the absence of authority it's really up to the posters to either take their grievances to PM, put the people they dislike on ignore or simply refuse to respond to posts designed to instigate arguments.

Trolls and WUMs feed off the reaction they get from inflammatory posts. If they are ignored, they soon disappear or conform to proper standards.

It isn't just on here. I've seen other football and non football forums that get very feisty as well. Passions run high, people get entrenched and won't back down, vendettas are carried out and cliques form. Preventative measures (even temporary ones?) might help. It isn't the best but, as the Fellwalker further up demonstrated, you can't legislate for the way people carry on.

As one of the chief protagonists on here who seeks to wind-up / belittle virtually every poster, why don't you set an example and turn over a new leaf. I am certain others would duly follow and respect your new found morality.

There's nothing wrong with passionate debate, but the kind of childish tit for tat insults that take place on here are just tiresome. If the board was moderated it would have been dealt with a while ago, but in the absence of authority it's really up to the posters to either take their grievances to PM, put the people they dislike on ignore or simply refuse to respond to posts designed to instigate arguments.

Trolls and WUMs feed off the reaction they get from inflammatory posts. If they are ignored, they soon disappear or conform to proper standards.

I suppose I come at this from a personal point of view. I find that the Ignore Function doesn't work for me.

The only PM exchanges I've had have generally, with a few exceptions, been friendly but I believe some have been a bit grim and have degenerated into threats or serious abuse. Also blocking prevents disputes from being taken out of the public forum. I've tried not biting but some posters simply do my nut in and I find myself sniping back.

I'm aware of the moderating issue so I'm just putting it out there by way of an idea.

• Moderation Lead

As one of the chief protagonists on here who seeks to wind-up / belittle virtually every poster, why don't you set an example and turn over a new leaf. I am certain others would duly follow and respect your new found morality.

He's far from the only one though Mercer to be fair. People just read what they want to from posters that they don't like rather than what is actually being written then act outraged.

It's beyond embarrassing for any adults to act in this manner. There's a lovely ignore feature that can be used.

Come on Shaun, it's posts like this that just keep things going......

I apologise but considering it came from possibly the main MB antagonist I just found it rather amusing. I should have taken the olive branch (if it was one) in good faith (if it was intended)

Therefore:

There is no separating Venkys from Blackburn Rovers for me. Nor Bowyer from Blackburn Rovers. They are both intrinsically linked. It would be akin to discussing the General Election but sanitising any content about the NHS.

Blackburn Rovers is close to everyone's heart, otherwise why would we be here? And as such it is very emotive. As the club is in, what can be described as, the darkest and most secretive stage in it's 140 year history there are bound to be disagreements from differing points of view or perceptions as to the current plight and the possible future(s).

It would be more worrying if we all agreed

He's far from the only one though Mercer to be fair. People just read what they want to from posters that they don't like rather than what is actually being written then act outraged.

It's beyond embarrassing for any adults to act in this manner. There's a lovely ignore feature that can be used.

I agree.

The problem is that many are goaded into defending themselves and wont sit idly by when unfairly castigated, often at a personal level, by others.

The answer is simple. Respect the right of others to express a view and an opinion without personally attacking them; this can be done in a constructive manner without upsetting too many folk.

This isn't an olive branch, it is a proposed resolution. I consider myself to be a reactive poster and, as such, those who have been on the receiving end have done something to warrant it.

I'm aware that the spats annoy many readers of the forum, that is why I have floated this. Other than that I won't be backing down.

It's not the debate about the issues that brings this site down, it's the personal bitching. It just takes 1 comment which someone disagrees with and suddenly it goes off topic. Why don't people just behave like adults?

Instead of moving the topics which need to be debated onto a different part of the site, why not just have a "Childish Bitching" section where people can just go on and write about how hard they are or that their Dad is bigger than someone else's Dad and leave the rest of us to discuss the issues of the day.

It's not the debate about the issues that brings this site down, it's the personal bitching. It just takes 1 comment which someone disagrees with and suddenly it goes off topic. Why don't people just behave like adults?

Instead of moving the topics which need to be debated onto a different part of the site, why not just have a "Childish Bitching" section where people can just go on and write about how hard they are or that their Dad is bigger than someone else's Dad and leave the rest of us to discuss the issues of the day.

A bit too simplistic for me that. It is certain topics that are the catalysts for arguments in my opinion. Isolating the Venkys topic and manager issues might allow for the peaceful discussion of other issues of the day.

Fair enough if it's a non starter but something is needed as people will be people and there aren't many cops in town.

Shouldn't be a need for a section where people can slag each other off. Everyone should just grow up a bit, take a step back and think about the post they are about to type.

• Backroom

A bit too simplistic for me that. It is certain topics that are the catalysts for arguments in my opinion. Isolating the Venkys topic and manager issues might allow for the peaceful discussion of other issues of the day.

Fair enough if it's a non starter but something is needed as people will be people and there aren't many cops in town.

It's not a forum wide problem, though. It's limited to a fairly small list of posters who cannot seem to control themselves. I don't see the justification in completely restructuring the board on the basis of half a dozen posters being unable to resist getting into petty arguments. There's an easier way to fix that problem.

There has been a febrile atmosphere on here for years reflective of what has gone on at the club. Feelings are running high so these outbrakes will happen. I often tend to get involved when the Venky/manager issues leak onto other threads and there is a small group of posters that are usually behind that. From a personal point of view if the leakage stopped so would many of the squabbles.

It doesn't require a major restructure, just posters being directed to the correct thread/section.

• Backroom

Or those causing arguments being warned and banned if their childish behaviour continues.

But either scenario would involve admins/moderators, so these aren't solutions. Self-moderation is the only solution to this issue.

his isn't an olive branch, it is a proposed resolution. I consider myself to be a reactive poster and, as such, those who have been on the receiving end have done something to warrant it.

I'm aware that the spats annoy many readers of the forum, that is why I have floated this. Other than that I won't be backing down.

Posts may have warranted your disagreement and disdain but I've seen very few if any, and as someone who is constantly in your cross hairs and has contributed none, that warranted the abusive name calling that you regularly dish out to many. Quite a lot of which would have resulted in a ban in more moderated times.

You are a large part of the problem Chris (because you get instantly personal) and from my point of view you are the major antagonist on this forum.

It is surely easier to ignore posters that you may find repetitive or overly negative rather than call them d@ickheads, or other sarcasticly snidey names and thus stir the pot that you are rather ironically complaining about now.

For example Mercerman may post things that are not everyone's cup of tea but he never get's abusive even when tirelessly abused.

Whilst the ignore feature is far from perfect I am going to endeavour to resist the urge to click "view it anyway" from now on (which is hard when the post follows yours and you know it's some sarcastic or abusive reply). If we all did the same the quality may improve. That will be my contribution

Posts may have warranted your disagreement and disdain but I've seen very few if any, and as someone who is constantly in your cross hairs and has contributed none, that warranted the abusive name calling that you regularly dish out to many. Quite a lot of which would have resulted in a ban in more moderated times.

You are a large part of the problem Chris (because you get instantly personal) and from my point of view you are the major antagonist on this forum.

It is surely easier to ignore posters that you may find repetitive or overly negative rather than call them d@ickheads, or other sarcasticly snidey names and thus stir the pot that you are rather ironically complaining about now.

Whilst the ignore feature is far from perfect I am going to endeavour to resist the urge to click "view it anyway" from now on (which is hard when the post follows yours and you know it's some sarcastic or abusive reply). If we all did the same the quality may improve.

The ignore facility doesn't work because you, Miseryman and others but in Particular Caps Man post for a reaction which means that you get quoted.

You and Caps Man only want me to ignore you because you don't like being challenged. Like I said, I won't be backing down.

In my opinion you are a major cause of the problem due to your insistence on spamming the forum with mind numbing rhetoric and your insistence on lecturing posters who actually attend matches instead of glorying in not doing so.

What I've actually endeavoured to do is propose a solution whereby arguments aren't played out publically to the annoyance of others. Predictably enough you reverted to your default setting of negativity.

You'd better toughen up Princess because you're really in the crosshairs now.

Calm down dear, it's only a messageboard.

It's meant to be fun, not the hunger games.

I cleared out my ignore list and decided to let things go. If I see a point of view I don't like it, I just crack on.

only engaging with people whose views you respect and find interesting takes all of the aggravation out of it and the forum would be far better off if everyone did the same , in my view

to actually come on here of your own free will and get riled up and in arguments, trading insults, is just a tragic waste of life.

Archived