BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] British Film Institute

Some fantastic priceless new footage of Rovers at home to Villa,Sheff Utd and Man City at the dawn of the 20th Century.

The featured game v Man City shows the old stand that existed prior to the building of the Archibald Leitch Nuttal St stand in 1905....I've NEVER seen it shown before!

Our great heritage..http://search.bfi.org.uk/search-bfi/blackburn%20rovers

It's fantastic footage PB and like you I can't get enough of it!

The majority of it was filmed by Blackburn based Mitchell and Kenyon so I would guess there is much more footage of Rovers games to be uncovered.

Take a look at 'Moss Street v St Philips football' a local schoolboy final played at Ewood in 1907.The newly opened Nuttal St and watch for the Steam Train right at the end...

Love it.

http://player.bfi.org.uk/collections/edwardian-britain-on-film/edwardian-football/

The crowds for a schoolboy game - amazing. Referee in full suit and flat cap and not a shin pad in sight.

I bet they were tough times but wow, what a feeling you get of a thriving town and football scene.

It's fantastic footage PB and like you I can't get enough of it!

The majority of it was filmed by Blackburn based Mitchell and Kenyon so I would guess there is much more footage of Rovers games to be uncovered.

Take a look at 'Moss Street v St Philips football' a local schoolboy final played at Ewood in 1907.The newly opened Nuttal St and watch for the Steam Train right at the end...

Love it.

http://player.bfi.org.uk/collections/edwardian-britain-on-film/edwardian-football/

I previously could not access as the BFI site picked up that I was abroad but got in via a free VPN. Many thanks SG194 fr the BFI links - great stuff.

The boys game are playing across the pitch with smaller goals - it looks like only one goal has a crossbar.

Which one is the one that shows the Nuttal street before the stand? I can't see the Man City game

The only one's showing on the original link (Villa and Sheff Utd) show the terraced stand before the old Riverside was built (or they put the upper stand was built on top of the one in the footage) as well as the blackburn end pre roof and the nuttal street as we knew it

Which one is the one that shows the Nuttal street before the stand? I can't see the Man City game

The only one's showing on the original link (Villa and Sheff Utd) show the terraced stand before the old Riverside was built (or they put the upper stand was built on top of the one in the footage) as well as the blackburn end pre roof and the nuttal street as we knew it

Follow the second link and its 'Blackburn v...'

Very rare footage that.

Very rare footage that.

Yes and the majority of the nuttal st stand as we knew it was there as far as I can tell. Its the riverside that looks different (lower roof, no upper stand and nuttal ales advert on the roof)

Just like the villa footage from the same year

Very rare footage that.

Great bit of footage, you can see the Royal Infirmary in the background I think, and is that a church on the hill in the corner or the Bburn end/Riverside?

Just watched the Sheffield United footage and I now see that the Riverside stand isn't a terrace but a different stand that pre-dates the old Riverside terrace with upper stand. From other footage it looked similar to the stand we all knew hence I thought they'd just added the upper stand at a later date when in fact it is a totally different earlier structure that was demolished to make way for the old Riverside stand.

That's not the Archibald Leitch designed Nuttall St stand Shaun,it's similar in ways but it's definitely not the one we all know,that's why it's very rare footage imo.

'A few years after this film was made Ewood Park's old main stand was replaced by the Nuttall Street Stand, designed by Archibald Leitch, a famous architect with a string of football stadiums to his name. The new stand opened in 1907 and was in use until the 1990s.'

Archived