BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match Report: Blackburn Rovers Under 18's 6 - 0 Preston North End Under 18's

Parsonblue's match report from the under 18's game yesterday/:

Saturday 1st August 2015 – Pre-Season Friendly

Blackburn Rovers Under-18 6 v 0 Preston North End Under-18

Blackburn Rovers Under-18 (5) 6

Mansell 4, Fawns 27, Barry (og) 34, Mansell 37, Mansell (pen) 44, Steer 50

First Half Team: Ben Ascroft; Lewis Travis, Matthew Platt, Charley Doyle, Ben Williams; Tre Pemberton, Trialist, Stefan Mols, Alex Curran, Mason Fawns; Lewis Mansell

Second Half Team: Ben Ascroft; Matty Makinson, Tyler Magloire, Joe Rankin-Costello, Josh Askew; Ramirez Howarth, Callum Hendry, Jan Pirretas, Oliver Mehew; Lewis Mansell, Joel Steer.

This was my first look at the Under-18’s this season and what a powerful performance during a first half in which they simply swept aside the North End team. The game was barely four minutes old when Lewis Travis, a former Liverpool trainee who joined the Rovers last season and featured in the first team game at Rochdale the other week, crossed the ball from the right and Lewis Mansell was on hand to notch the opening goal.

It was virtually all one way traffic as the Rovers youngsters poured forward with Mansell proving a real handful for the visiting defence.

A quick break on the right saw Tre Pemberton switch the play to the opposite flank with a sweeping crossfield pass which found Mansell on the left and he cut in and struck a decent shot which was saved. Minutes later he was denied when he chased a through ball but was just beaten to it by the goalkeeper.

The Rovers went two up after twenty-seven minutes when Alex Curran played in Mansell with a delightful ball which split the visiting defence. Mansell took the ball on before blasting a shot which the ‘keeper parried into the path of Mason Fawns who tapped the ball home.

It was 3-0 after 34 minutes when a corner from Fawns was headed by Doyle only to hit Tom Barry and deflect into the net.

Moments later Stefan Mols was played through and hit a powerful shot which the shell-shocked ‘keeper fumbled as the ball went through his legs but he recovered to make a save.

On thirty-six minutes it was 4-0 with Mansell, once again, being the scorer. He took possession of the ball out on the right and then proceeded to twist and turn his way past defenders until he reached the area and then powered a shot into the back of the net.

Four minutes later Mansell turned provider when he played in Tre Pemberton but although the winger’s shot was well struck it was slightly off target.

The Rovers snatched a fifth goal on the brink of half-time. A throw-in reached Mansell in the area who had a defender climbing all over him and the referee had no hestitation in awarding a penalty. Mansell took the kick himself and sent the goalkeeper the wrong way to complete his hat-trick.

The interval saw Billy Barr make nine changes to his team with only Ben Ascroft and Lewis Mansell remaining for the second-half.

The second-half was only five minutes old when the Rovers added a sixth goal. Another attack found full-back Matty Makinson with the ball on the bye-line and he simply pulled it back for Joel Steer to tap into an empty net.

The game became a more even affair, with North End making changes to their team and the Rovers simply containing the visitors with little difficulty. Mansell and Steer both had efforts off target but in comparison with the opening forty-five minutes the second half was a fairly quiet affair with the Rovers winning the game quite comfortably.

Lewis Mansell, who was a substitute for the first team at Oldham last week, looked a real handful at this level. However, he is still quite raw – as was shown at Oldham – but will hopefully develop over the course of the season playing for the Under-18’s and Under-21’s. He looks a real prospect and certainly knows how to find the back of the net.

Others who caught eye were the hard working Stefan Mols in midfield in the first half and in the second half the rather elegant midfield play of Jan Pirretas who always seemed to find time on the ball without being hurried in his decision making. Alex Curran also looked a very busy player with an eye for a pass from midfield.

It will be interesting to see how these lads fair against the tough opposition that they will face in League games.

Basically I'll do a report of the games I get to. It should be all first team - home and away - and all home games for the Under-21's. Away under-21 games are more difficult now that it's become national rather than regional league. The Under-18's will be more hit and miss as it will depend on where I am following the first team.

Basically I'll do a report of the games I get to. It should be all first team - home and away - and all home games for the Under-21's. Away under-21 games are more difficult now that it's become national rather than regional league. The Under-18's will be more hit and miss as it will depend on where I am following the first team.

We rarely agree but I can't fault your dedication.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey.

Man City fan here... I come in peace etc. Basically, i'm a huge fan of the academy football and I got to every City u21/u18 game I can, like a few in here from what I can gather! I write a blog on it all too. I really enjoy it.

Anyway - point i'm here is because I was wondering if anyone could help regards to going to u18s games. I'm hoping to drive up on Saturday morning as our 18s play each other and i'd quite like to watch it as its not too far away. Are fans okay to just turn up and just attend? Even though its not that far really, its still about 45/50 minutes and its a bit much to go and get turned away ha. City's u18s are often relatively behind closed doors and you can get turned away if you dont email in advance you see.

If anyone could advise that'd be great. Cheers all!

Archived