BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Eu Referendum, In Or Out - Looks Like Blackburn Wants Out !

How will you vote on June 23rd  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or Leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union
    • Leave the European Union

What I do know Jim is that my stock market based ISA's are up by nearly £2 grand since the Brexit vote. That will do for me. Not to mention that the weaker pound will do wonders for exports and let's face it we will hardly notice the difference with European holidays. All is going well as far as I am concerned.

Such a shame you cannot accept that you have lost the vote.

Al - you're not grasping what is happening in the markets. The FTSE100 is having a good run precisely because of the concerns re Brexit. It is dominated by international companies who are listed in London but most of whose revenue is worldwide. These shares are not being greatly affected by Brexit fears but are shooting up because their revenues in other currencies are being inflated by the crash in sterllng's value. Hidden in the rise in the index as a whole a few shares have had a really bad time - Lloyds, RBS, Easyjet, IAG. But overall the index has done well and I imagine your ISA funds are invested in a balance of major shares so it's doing well too. So are mine.

As Jim has pointed out a much better measure for how the UK economy is being viewed is the FTSE250, which is dominated by companies with their main revenues in the UK. This index is currently down about 8.5% since the referendum.

Add to that the steady trickle of bad news from all over the economy - decline in commercial property prices, suspension of investment plans, reduction in job vacancies. And as Philip points out, most businesses are not yet convinced that Brexit will happen. If things start to move on when we have a new PM it could get a lot more nasty.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big banks like Barclays and HSBC are staying in the UK after Brexit.

The FTSE is doing better than many other worldwide stick markets

Cost of borrowing has actually come down

Sterling has fallen, but thats great for exports

So quite frankly most of the remain campaigns scaremongering simply hasn't happened.

Al - you're not grasping what is happening in the markets. The FTSE100 is having a good run precisely because of the concerns re Brexit. It is dominated by international companies who are listed in London but most of whose revenue is worldwide. These shares are not being greatly affected by Brexit fears but are shooting up because their revenues in other currencies are being inflated by the crash in sterllng's value. Hidden in the rise in the index as a whole a few shares have had a really bad time - Lloyds, RBS, Easyjet, IAG. But overall the index has done well and I imagine your ISA funds are invested in a balance of major shares so it's doing well too. So are mine.

As Jim has pointed out a much better measure for how the UK economy is being viewed is the FTSE250, which is dominated by companies with their main revenues in the UK. This index is currently down about 8.5% since the referendum.

Add to that the steady trickle of bad news from all over the economy - decline in commercial property prices, suspension of investment plans, reduction in job vacancies. And as Philip points out, most businesses are not yet convinced that Brexit will happen. If things start to move on when we have a new PM it could get a lot more nasty.

I haven't analysed the reasons and have no intention of doing so. I need not grasp any of what is happening in the markets to see that my Isa's have risen more than they have done for years. The FTSE 250 is of little interest to me and my pension is unaffected. As I have already said that will do for me.

Yes I am looking out for myself and mine and am not ashamed of that. We all need to do that at the moment.

• Moderation Lead

So quite frankly most of the remain campaigns scaremongering simply hasn't happened.

It's only been two weeks Gav and both sides were guilty of scaremongering in fairness. We'll see in the fullness of time how much of an impact it has really had.

(You know, when our politicians get off their backsides and start making our exit from the EU that the majority voted for a reality instead of faffing about and not invoking article 50.)

It's only been two weeks Gav and both sides were guilty of scaremongering, so let's have it right eh? We'll see in the fullness of time how much of an impact it has really had.

(You know, when our politicians get off their backsides and start making our exit from the EU that the majority voted for a reality).

Hang on a minute K-Hod, we are having in right, I've just posted whats right.

If we've got posters telling us how bad it was going to be after Brexit, how bad it is today, in the interests of balance we need to have someone actually the truth, don't you agree?

But of course its still early days.

• Moderation Lead

Hang on a minute K-Hod, we are having in right, I've just posted whats right.

If we've got posters telling us how bad it was going to be after Brexit, how bad it is today, in the interests of balance we need to have someone actually the truth, don't you agree?

Of course Gav, but these things are fickle and change on a day to day basis. As I said, only in the fullness of time will we see what kind of an impact leaving the EU will have.

I've not seen anyone tell any lies, just Philip forecasting some fears, which he's entitled to do, as you are to actually tell the truth as you put it!

I just really wish we'd get on with leaving and I'm bored senseless of mud-slinging and all the rubbish that comes with it. We've left, so we need to get on with leaving. Not this halfway house purgatory nonsense at the minute with lots of blustering, hot air and not a lot of good old fashioned action. :angry2:

YET!

Just to pick up on this "Sterling has fallen, but thats great for exports" That is quite right, however we import far more than we export and the pound against the dollar has started to push retail prices up. I know this doesn't affect most people but it is one example from today that Dell have increased all UK prices by 10% due to the falling pound (as they base everything in Dollar prices).

I am however sick to the back teeth of the "we told you so merchants". It's not helping anyone or anything. Many of us also didn't vote for Brexit but what is the point in seemingly trying to point score on how bad it *could* get. We need to move on and move forward.

I haven't analysed the reasons and have no intention of doing so. I need not grasp any of what is happening in the markets to see that my Isa's have risen more than they have done for years. The FTSE 250 is of little interest to me and my pension is unaffected. As I have already said that will do for me.

Yes I am looking out for myself and mine and am not ashamed of that. We all need to do that at the moment.

That sums up the level of debate that has led us to where we are - don't tell me what I don't want to hear, I'll be alright. Your ISAs have gone up because they are presumably primarily invested in businesses that have nothing to do with the UK economy. If you are in receipt of a pension or have a final salary scheme benefit coming to you then your pension will be OK - so will mine. But if you haven't, which is by far the majority of people these days including quite likely your family and certainly my sons, then they will be affected in the long run.

Of course Gav, but these things are fickle and change on a day to day basis. As I said, only in the fullness of time will we see what kind of an impact leaving the EU will have.

I've not seen anyone tell any lies, just Philip forecasting some fears, which he's entitled to do, as you are to actually tell the truth as you put it!

I just really wish we'd get on with leaving and I'm bored senseless of mud-slinging and all the rubbish that comes with it. We've left, so we need to get on with leaving. Not this halfway house purgatory nonsense at the minute with lots of blustering, hot air and not a lot of good old fashioned action. :angry2:

No they don't change on a day to day basis, what I've just posted was the same yesterday, the day before and probably tomorrow.

Philipl and Jim have been posting doom and gloom since the vote went the wrong way for them both, nothing wrong with that but it has to be countered, no mud-slinging here, just grown up debate, think you need to separate the football side from ICBINF if you don't mind me saying so.

What have I posted that's not the truth Gav? There is only the last sentence in post 2473 that is speculation - everything else is fact.

What have I posted that's not the truth Gav? There is only the last sentence in post 2473 that is speculation - everything else is fact.

Nobody said you posted anything untruthful o2g?

Jesus wept its all a bit tetchy around here today, has something gone on that I've missed?

YET!

Just to pick up on this "Sterling has fallen, but thats great for exports" That is quite right, however we import far more than we export and the pound against the dollar has started to push retail prices up. I know this doesn't affect most people but it is one example from today that Dell have increased all UK prices by 10% due to the falling pound (as they base everything in Dollar prices).

I am however sick to the back teeth of the "we told you so merchants". It's not helping anyone or anything. Many of us also didn't vote for Brexit but what is the point in seemingly trying to point score on how bad it *could* get. We need to move on and move forward.

I did actually say its early days Biddy.

I only posted 4 lines and it seems everyones blown a gasket?

That sums up the level of debate that has led us to where we are - don't tell me what I don't want to hear, I'll be alright. Your ISAs have gone up because they are presumably primarily invested in businesses that have nothing to do with the UK economy. If you are in receipt of a pension or have a final salary scheme benefit coming to you then your pension will be OK - so will mine. But if you haven't, which is by far the majority of people these days including quite likely your family and certainly my sons, then they will be affected in the long run.

The only effect to my sons appears to be that their inheritance is increasing day by day. By the time they retire Brexit will be history. All is well.

By the way most of my Isa's are UK based (Fidelity Special Situations Fund and Standard Life) and they have increased more than the international based ones.

• Moderation Lead

No they don't change on a day to day basis, what I've just posted was the same yesterday, the day before and probably tomorrow.

Philipl and Jim have been posting doom and gloom since the vote went the wrong way for them both, nothing wrong with that but it has to be countered, no mud-slinging here, just grown up debate, think you need to separate the football side from ICBINF if you don't mind me saying so.

Re that bit in bold I meant in general, not on here!

Nobody said you posted anything untruthful o2g?

Jesus wept its all a bit tetchy around here today, has something gone on that I've missed?

It was just that your post was immediately after mine, suggesting it was remainers scaremongering. If you didn't mean that, no problem.

It was just that your post was immediately after mine, suggesting it was remainers scaremongering. If you didn't mean that, no problem.

Plenty of remainers are scaremongering o2g, you only have to read this thread to realise that, some are hoping for turmoil to prove them right, which is more than a little disturbing I'm sure you'll agree :wacko:

But my comments certainly weren't aimed at you directly, if they had of been I'd have quoted you.

Not scaremongering but hard fact.

A deal I was doing to bring in £5m of international funding for salaries for academics to join a world class faculty at a British University fell through this morning because Britain will no longer be on the inside at the EU.

I hope I can get a £30m deal of inward foreign direct investment to the UK I am currently trying to close over the line but every enquiry I have fielded since 23 June has been about businesses leaving the UK. If they all go, at least 1,000 jobs will be lost.

A deal I was doing to bring in £5m of international funding for salaries for academics to join a world class faculty at a British University fell through this morning because Britain will no longer be on the inside at the EU.

I hope I can get a £30m deal of inward foreign direct investment to the UK I am currently trying to close over the line but every enquiry I have fielded since 23 June has been about businesses leaving the UK. If they all go, at least 1,000 jobs will be lost.

Don't post hard facts, I was jumped on for it earlier :P

Seriously though thats a shame Philipl, it really is, but I'm sure you made provisions for a possible leave vote and will act accordingly.

Spoke to a couple with a good business over here neither British and they said they would be taking their business out of Britain due to the referendum vote they weren't happy at all.

Spoke to a couple with a good business over here neither British and they said they would be taking their business out of Britain due to the referendum vote they weren't happy at all.

And again, so far NOTHING has changed so why be unhappy and look to move? Is it just a poor excuse?

Not good at all. but again, what were the actual reasons for pulling out? If it is a world class facility, what difference does the UK "maybe" being outside of the EU in a few years time actually make?

What kind of business ? is it for sale ?

Archived