BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Positivity Thread.

Husky

Said it then 40 goals is great but we still had a midfield of Lowe/Williamson etc, which would prompt longish balls to bypass but still better than losing the ball and defending all game under OC.

Was Bowyer picking them at gunpoint or something?

He picked Lowe & Williamson because Lowe was his golden-child, and he was a boring, safety-first manager. That's why players like Judge, Rochina, Cairney & King were all snubbed and gone onto bigger and better things.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on Bowyer had this club on an even keel, what are those 11 million movements in his last spell on the P&L? Historic player contract monies?

Guy looked as if he built a team on buttons, made fortunes through the good agents even who temporarily alienated Sasha/SEM Etc. BRFC drawing 0-0 away and losing 1-0 at home against Liverpool, what have we done since?

Gaz is a Manc with no affinity to the area but became much of the furniture at Ewood over 11 years, boring he maybe but he installed passion and reembarked on the history of the club. I'm assuming the pictures in the tunnel etc of being champions are no more? A Gaz idea to remind the short term loanes and freebies of who they were playing for.

Said it then 40 goals is great but we still had a midfield of Lowe/Williamson etc, which would prompt longish balls to bypass but still better than losing the ball and defending all game under OC.

I wasn't a Lambert fan. Happy to admit he'd have probably got us in the PO's with a Bowyer squad, but he couldn't have built it which is why Gaz deserves some appreciation. Flawless tatically Gaz could spot a player, and had each and every one working for him. Lambert i came to admire no doubt he will go on to better things but he messed up in January. He got the team fit as i could remember under Sam but sold Rhodes, so many games he made Duffy/hanley resolute and needed a goal.

No doubt i Lambert is easily a good find the EFL.

Agree with the stuff about Bowyer. Very under-appreciated on here, but in the wider world he was respected for the job he did with us.

Lambert was incapable of producing chances from open play. He was a dour manager, even compared to Bowyer, and his team reflected that. There is absolutely zero evidence that he would have got us anywhere near the play-off's with any squad of the last few years. He even dropped Conway, out most creative player. Lambert was embarrassingly over-rated by many on here. It's no surprise he's struggled to find a good club to manage since he walked out on us.

Was Bowyer picking them at gunpoint or something?

He picked Lowe & Williamson because Lowe was his golden-child, and he was a boring, safety-first manager. That's why players like Judge, Rochina, Cairney & King were all snubbed and gone onto bigger and better things.

Oh he got Judge spectacularly wrong. He's a player. He's a lesser Dunny. At the time though he had Dunn.

Rochina - Great player technically, he'd play 90 minutes but impact on 10. His best role was of Yakubu at Fulham way i think under Kean. He needed a lump to lay it of for his spectacular. No use in a 4-4-2 and given the lad's links with agencies i thought it best of Gaz to get rid. Berg tried him at Peterborough was it? And he hid until being subbed. Glad he is doing well now though.

Cairney - Look on Friends of Fulham they bearted him for being a "luxuary" just like what we did, say he is wasted right midfield when they play him there like we did but a different player in the no.10 like the liverpool games we had. Bowyer didn't sell him. and we quadrupled our outlay on him?

King - Bought by Berg 500k. He had pace like he showed at PNE but that was it. Injured frequently but no doubt he came on technically under GB in the Stoke/Swansea games. Should have got more game time but Gaz went for the R&R. A better finisher under Howe these days and as he's a bit older become more composed. Hope he continues, i was gutted when he went which is probably the last time i was over a player.

Agree with the stuff about Bowyer. Very under-appreciated on here, but in the wider world he was respected for the job he did with us.

Lambert was incapable of producing chances from open play. He was a dour manager, even compared to Bowyer, and his team reflected that. There is absolutely zero evidence that he would have got us anywhere near the play-off's with any squad of the last few years. He even dropped Conway, out most creative player. Lambert was embarrassingly over-rated by many on here. It's no surprise he's struggled to find a good club to manage since he walked out on us.

Lambert went safety first, for some reason that early season our defense leaked like a sieve until he arrived.

Did not want Lambert, i wanted Sherwood with Souness as DoF. Lambert got us solid but agreed it was dire football but effective in many forms.

Lambert though to his credit got the team through to 90 mins. Hanley came on leaps and bounds under him.

Jackson and Bennett came to light with him but i do think with investment he'd have gotten us there.

He was 6/10.

Oh he got Judge spectacularly wrong. He's a player. He's a lesser Dunny. At the time though he had Dunn.

Rochina - Great player technically, he'd play 90 minutes but impact on 10. His best role was of Yakubu at Fulham way i think under Kean. He needed a lump to lay it of for his spectacular. No use in a 4-4-2 and given the lad's links with agencies i thought it best of Gaz to get rid. Berg tried him at Peterborough was it? And he hid until being subbed. Glad he is doing well now though.

Cairney - Look on Friends of Fulham they bearted him for being a "luxuary" just like what we did, say he is wasted right midfield when they play him there like we did but a different player in the no.10 like the liverpool games we had. Bowyer didn't sell him. and we quadrupled our outlay on him?

King - Bought by Berg 500k. He had pace like he showed at PNE but that was it. Injured frequently but no doubt he came on technically under GB in the Stoke/Swansea games. Should have got more game time but Gaz went for the R&R. A better finisher under Howe these days and as he's a bit older become more composed. Hope he continues, i was gutted when he went which is probably the last time i was over a player.

Rochina - The same Peterborough game where he delivered this sublime through-ball for Rhodes' third, and was a constant menace?

Yes, strange how King was allowed off the leash for the FA Cup games, where we had nothing to lose and we couldn't settle for a point.

I guess the same could be said of Bowyer, although he didn't walk and needed a helping hand to climb out 'from under his rock'. Many managers struggle to get suitable work after a dismissal as there are only so many places available and an ever increasing number of ex-pros / former managers who feel worthy of a shot.

Under appreciated? I don't think so. Just realistic. With nothing on his CV to suggest otherwise he was just taken completely at face value.

No coincedence i don't think that the only managerial job that Bowyer could get was at cheapskate desperado's Blackpool. That imo is precisely were Coyle would have ended up had he not got the connections to be installed here,. He'd probably have got that in front of Gaz so i think that says it all about the pair of them really.

Says more about us though :unsure:

Bowyer - very under-appreciated, Lambert - embarrassingly over-rated. Astonishing stuff, really is.

You mentioned Lambert's failure to find a club since leaving, well in the case you have to take into account his record before arriving. You can't cherry pick certain points in his career to fit your argument. He took Wycombe to the play-offs and a League Cup semi, didn't make the play-offs with Colchester but had a 44% win ratio there, and then back-to-back promotions and then Premier League survival with Norwich.

What was Bowyer's record before being appointed Rovers manager? He managed a reserve team, a level of football totally lacking in any credibility or competition, a glorified training session designed to give kids a run-around, serve as injury rehabilitation exercises for senior players and a place to dump players you're looking to sell at some point. And his record since, leading Blackpool to League 2 mid-table, including a recent defeat to Stanley. Likely the situation he'd have had us at given long enough.

Something else you never mention in all this. Bowyer had 131 games at Rovers to get to know his players ability/personality, build his own squad, Lambert had 33. All we ever heard from the Bowyer advocates when he was manager is give him time, this went on for 50+ games.

Rochina - The same Peterborough game where he delivered this sublime through-ball for Rhodes' third, and was a constant menace?

Yes, strange how King was allowed off the leash for the FA Cup games, where we had nothing to lose and we couldn't settle for a point.

You can highlight one game but Rochina never played with any consistency. He simply wasn"t good enough. One of any number of players with natural talent who for one reason or another didn't make it.

Was he ever meant to make it or was his performance simply irrelevant?

The agent did well though.

Do the highlights showing him gifting the opposition a goal?

Come on Bowyer had this club on an even keel, what are those 11 million movements in his last spell on the P&L? Historic player contract monies?

Guy looked as if he built a team on buttons, made fortunes through the good agents even who temporarily alienated Sasha/SEM Etc. BRFC drawing 0-0 away and losing 1-0 at home against Liverpool, what have we done since?

Gaz is a Manc with no affinity to the area but became much of the furniture at Ewood over 11 years, boring he maybe but he installed passion and reembarked on the history of the club. I'm assuming the pictures in the tunnel etc of being champions are no more? A Gaz idea to remind the short term loanes and freebies of who they were playing for.

I wasn't a Lambert fan. Happy to admit he'd have probably got us in the PO's with a Bowyer squad, but he couldn't have built it which is why Gaz deserves some appreciation. Flawless tatically Gaz could spot a player, and had each and every one working for him. Lambert i came to admire no doubt he will go on to better things but he messed up in January. He got the team fit as i could remember under Sam but sold Rhodes, so many games he made Duffy/hanley resolute and needed a goal.

No doubt i Lambert is easily a good find the EFL.

It's a fallacy that we were stable under Bowyer. That's when the real damage was being done by the owners. Not saying it was wilful by any stretch I do believe Bowyer was a decent bloke (up until the end) but he allowed the pretence of stability to see us move players out. Flawless tactically? I presume you meant flawed. His record with players was better than average but he had some stinkers to - both recruiting and letting slip through his fingers.

Sadly this stability, and the support it brought from many fans, meant that our final chance of recovery was lost. He had the backing and the squad and the time - but couldn't get the necessary tunes out of them. You mention Lowe as a midfielder (which I infer you mean held us back) but it was Bowyer who persisted with him, breaking up a winning team time and time again to accommodate him. Even to the detriment of results - and epitomised Bowyer's negative approach.

Accommodation certainly was a watch word under Bowyer but in Lowes case it turns out to be the same with this manger. The same with Hanley although he ended up being sold allegedly for 5.5 mill. He did cost us goals and wins/draws numerous times though in that awful season he had and should have been left out when more capable options were available as it showed at the end of that season.

I'm prepared to now accept his hands were tied on that score despite this he was in control of all ins/outs and team selection bull dust. Player value increases before results is all they were really interested in. Also wonder if someone in the shadows had the likes of Lowey & Hanley tied up in some % deal so they made sure they are first on the team sheet whilst here.

Jesus. There's more holes in that than a Swiss Cheese :blink::wacko::unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived