BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Most unusual football ground visited

Hmm, good thread but making me realise I need to go out a bit more!

It hardly counts but the weirdest ground I ever went to, is the none-too-exotic Lancaster ground the Giant Axe. The home and away fans were divide by a hedge, although there was a narrow gap in it, so it wasn't much of a security measure! In fact I remember it was a derby vs. Morecambe and at half time the home and away fans swapped ends, so that they were able to always be behind the goal their team was shooting towards. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Blue blood said:

It hardly counts but the weirdest ground I ever went to, is the none-too-exotic Lancaster ground the Giant Axe. The home and away fans were divide by a hedge, although there was a narrow gap in it, so it wasn't much of a security measure! In fact I remember it was a derby vs. Morecambe and at half time the home and away fans swapped ends, so that they were able to always be behind the goal their team was shooting towards. 

We used to swop ends at half time at Ewood ;)

50 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Fantastic setting.  And it's high enough around it not to kick the ball into the fjord

Pfftt...you've not seen one of my clearances.

Anyway, went to Dover at the start of the year. The ground is set in what looks like a nature reserve. Stadium has some ironic timber cladding too.

16 hours ago, Blue blood said:

You can also watch a game at the Giant Axe without paying to get in from Lancaster railway station! 

23 hours ago, gumboots said:

Fantastic setting.  And it's high enough around it not to kick the ball into the fjord

Until Crystal Palace come to town.

On 28/04/2017 at 5:29 PM, wolfie said:

C-gKz9JXcAM_f0_.jpg

Just nicked this off Twitter. It's in Norway

I saw this photo on Twitter as well. The village is Henningsvaer in the Lofoten Islands, Norway. Stunning. I spent a night there, some years ago. In the evening we ate in a restaurant in the harbour and afterwards went for a walk. It was June, so the sun was still above the horizon at midnight. Never knew the pitch was only a couple of hundred yards away or I would have had a wander and taken photographs.

3 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I saw this photo on Twitter as well. The village is Henningsvaer in the Lofoten Islands, Norway. Stunning. I spent a night there, some years ago. In the evening we ate in a restaurant in the harbour and afterwards went for a walk. It was June, so the sun was still above the horizon at midnight. Never knew the pitch was only a couple of hundred yards away or I would have had a wander and taken photographs.

I've been there but didn't know about the football ground

Atletico Baleares in the Segunda B, Group 3 of Spanish football while on holiday in Majorca...absolutely baking hot day, so much so that they were giving out free water to supporters.  It was played at the old ground near the airport although it was literally falling to bits and they now play at a ground with a capacity of just 1,200 :)

Whils not up there with the place in Norway, for me I think St Pats in Dublin. I've been to enough grounds where they're hidden behind a row of terraces, but at St Pats the main gate is an arch where a mid terrace is missing and the ticket office somebody's front room in the same set of terraces.

Archived