BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Supporting Half A Club

Stuart

On 22/09/2017 at 07:04, Stuart said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15547807.Simon_Smith__Concentrated_support_at_away_games_is_why_Rovers_have_had_more_success_on_the_road/?ref=eb

Bit of a disjointed piece which kind of covers the away support point. Seems that it's about concentration of fans in Simon Smith's opinion. Which makes sense and does suggest that Ewood will have to do similar if they want to generate that kind of atmosphere. Well... that or actually play football worth cheering about.

Quite disgusting that Rovers fans are taking up seats allocated for others just to sit together though - and giving the big FU to other fans. Have a word with yourselves.

Simon Smith has given the obvious answer to the opening question. It's always been like this and is for the majority of clubs. Go to Old Trafford and you can hear a pin drop, United come to Ewood and it's the polar opposite. 

As for the seating issue again it's been like this for decades. In my experience it's not as common as the 50/50 Mattyblue suggests but it's certainly not unusual. I don't recall this happening at a PL ground, possibly once st Blackpool?, but outside the PL it's no surprise. 

One should not suddenly start categorising away fans behaviour as "disgusting." If one goes to away games you have to accept it's different. I'm not saying this is right but it is the situation and it won't change. 

Away fans always stand. In my view this is selfish as it means my son can't see the game. I've had more than my fair share of very heated discussion with people who refuse to sit down including at the Chelsea semi-final where moving seats was impossible.

My solution for years has been to phone the club and request front row seats. Rovers always oblige if they can and if they can't moving on the day usually works out. 

Calling fans behaviour disgusting is wrong, its unthinking and selfish  behaviour in my view but not deliberately so. If one goes away with small children, elderly or disabled fans one just has to adapt accordingly. Wrong but so are many things in life. 

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Bluebarley said:

Stewards on minimum wage won't be busting a gut to enforce it, If it's family's,old people, disabled people I will happily move/accommodate but outside of that should be no big deal go where you want.

Experience tells me this is very much the case for the vast majority when approached as individuals. Often fans simply notice the situation and react without being asked.  The difficulty is one person doesn't make a great difference. 

8 hours ago, Bluebarley said:

Stewards on minimum wage won't be busting a gut to enforce it, If it's family's,old people, disabled people I will happily move/accommodate but outside of that should be no big deal go where you want.

Let's hope you don't sit in my seat ,i go with my wife and if you were sat in my seat and i had to move because you wouldn't, and my wife had to sit next to you the whole game i would certainly move you.

Typical modern day selfish arrogant attitude ,in my opinion, that is ...........

20 minutes ago, Paul said:

Simon Smith has given the obvious answer to the opening question. It's always been like this and is for the majority of clubs. Go to Old Trafford and you can hear a pin drop, United come to Ewood and it's the polar opposite. 

As for the seating issue again it's been like this for decades. In my experience it's not as common as the 50/50 Mattyblue suggests but it's certainly not unusual. I don't recall this happening at a PL ground, possibly once st Blackpool?, but outside the PL it's no surprise. 

One should not suddenly start categorising away fans behaviour as "disgusting." If one goes to away games you have to accept it's different. I'm not saying this is right but it is the situation and it won't change. 

Away fans always stand. In my view this is selfish as it means my son can't see the game. I've had more than my fair share of very heated discussion with people who refuse to sit down including at the Chelsea semi-final where moving seats was impossible.

My solution for years has been to phone the club and request front row seats. Rovers always oblige if they can and if they can't moving on the day usually works out. 

Calling fans behaviour disgusting is wrong, its unthinking and selfish  behaviour in my view but not deliberately so. If one goes away with small children, elderly or disabled fans one just has to adapt accordingly. Wrong but so are many things in life. 

You seem to just like disagreeing [with me] for the sake of it.

Interesting that you believe it's ok to call fans selfish but if I use a different I'm wrong and "categorising".

Pre-booked numbered seat allocated tickets but actually unresrved standing!

If that is not in breach of H&S than nothing is.

Football is a fecked up fiasco and the selfish fan views expressed on here depressing.

This will cause a serious problem one day but nothing that whitewash can't cure.

33 minutes ago, den9112 said:

Let's hope you don't sit in my seat ,i go with my wife and if you were sat in my seat and i had to move because you wouldn't, and my wife had to sit next to you the whole game i would certainly move you.

Typical modern day selfish arrogant attitude ,in my opinion, that is ...........

Families are included as I said couples, kids full bang shoot, I'm not spending time pre-match researching blocks & seat numbers grounds I'm not familiar with & moving people on, I cldnt give a rats a**e if somebody is sat in my seat I'd simply find somewhere to sit I don't need any dramas & certainly don't go out of my way to find them. You wouldn't have to move me nobody would common sense would kick in I possess it in bucketloads. If that's selfish arrogant so be it.

11 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

It's standard practice at at least half of away grounds.

I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be the case if you sell out the stand, but there you go.

Probably surprised a few folk who don't usually travel, but our fans don't deserve a kicking for it.

We were in our allocated seats near pitchside at Rochdale when there were lots of Rovers fans deliberately stood in the exits despite being asked by stewards to move.  The abuse the stewards got was ridiculous considering they were only doing their job. This belligerence from some fans was undoubtedly drink fuelled and eventually sorted out by the police. I spoke to a steward who said everybody should have been in their allocated seats.

4 minutes ago, Bluebarley said:

Families are included as I said couples, kids full bang shoot, I'm not spending time pre-match researching blocks & seat numbers grounds I'm not familiar with & moving people on, I cldnt give a rats a**e if somebody is sat in my seat I'd simply find somewhere to sit I don't need any dramas & certainly don't go out of my way to find them. You wouldn't have to move me nobody would common sense would kick in I possess it in bucketloads. If that's selfish arrogant so be it.

It is selfish arrogance.

Just now, arbitro said:

It is selfish arrogance.

If you can't hack it don't back it, I've been going to football games sporadically for donkeys & I cannot ever remember getting into any sort of bother not even a argument so I must be doing something right. I go to a football match to watch a game of football not to participate in a military exercise.

8 minutes ago, Bluebarley said:

Yes its selfish and arrogant ,just no need for it......anyway setting of now to Shrewsbury lets hope i can enjoy a nice meal tonight in town if the blues win.......

23 minutes ago, Stuart said:

You seem to just like disagreeing [with me] for the sake of it.

Interesting that you believe it's ok to call fans selfish but if I use a different I'm wrong and "categorising".

Stuart I can't recall the last time I commented on one of your posts. You've posted something which I view differently. I've no interest in following you or anyone else around to "like" disagreeing with them.

As for your second point can I ask you to read again? You'll see I feel it is "unthinking and selfish" but not deliberately so. Most fans don't think about it and to say people's behaviour is disgusting for following what is usually stewards advice is, for me, wrong. 

Just now, Bluebarley said:

If you can't hack it don't back it, I've been going to football games sporadically for donkeys & I cannot ever remember getting into any sort of bother not even a argument so I must be doing something right. I go to a football match to watch a game of football not to participate in a military exercise.

A military exercise? All you have to do is find a seat you are allocated. It really is not difficult if you try.

Just now, arbitro said:

We were in our allocated seats near pitchside at Rochdale when there were lots of Rovers fans deliberately stood in the exits despite being asked by stewards to move.  The abuse the stewards got was ridiculous considering they were only doing their job. This belligerence from some fans was undoubtedly drink fuelled and eventually sorted out by the police. I spoke to a steward who said everybody should have been in their allocated seats.

And yet it was the stewards who were telling us to sit anywhere.   We went up to our allocated seats and stood the entire match as the row in front had far more people than seats available.  Quite frankly it was disorganised chaos from start to finish.  Totally agree with you about a certain element of our travelling support and their behaviour.  I know speaking to stewards years ago - during our Premier League days - that they had given up the battle of trying to get fans to sit down.  More than one club's stewards told me that the police advice was not to bother as it simply caused more trouble.  Indeed, stewards at most grounds we've visited over the past few years have encouraged supporters to sit where they want which at times is useful if you have been allocated seats amongst some of the more lively supporters as it were.

29 minutes ago, arbitro said:

A military exercise? All you have to do is find a seat you are allocated. It really is not difficult if you try.

& what if this allocated seat is taken? I honestly could not be bothered with the drama, fair play to them if it's a good seat I should have got my a**e into gear abit sooner. Things which are dramas for some people don't represent dramas for me. If I was married & I had a partner it would be different & of course we would want to sit together. I just keep splashing on the aramis 1 day I might get lucky doubt romance would strike at a football ground.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

And yet it was the stewards who were telling us to sit anywhere.   We went up to our allocated seats and stood the entire match as the row in front had far more people than seats available.  Quite frankly it was disorganised chaos from start to finish.  Totally agree with you about a certain element of our travelling support and their behaviour.  I know speaking to stewards years ago - during our Premier League days - that they had given up the battle of trying to get fans to sit down.  More than one club's stewards told me that the police advice was not to bother as it simply caused more trouble.  Indeed, stewards at most grounds we've visited over the past few years have encouraged supporters to sit where they want which at times is useful if you have been allocated seats amongst some of the more lively supporters as it were.

I think sitting anywhere is fine when we haven't taken and sold our full allocation. With so many potential sell outs this season fans should be in their allocated seats. I don't expect today to be any different to be honest.

This is rearing up because we are actually selling out away games - when did we last do that?

As Parson says, in previous seasons the 'calmer' fans were happy to hear that you could go where you want. It let those folk find a seat to actually sit on away from the more 'lively' fans, who in turn usually headed to the back of the stand for a sing song.

However, I'm pretty sure unallocated seating should only be permitted if you don't sell out the stand.

Be interesting to see what happens today...

People moaning about other people standing up and their kids / wife's getting upset because they can't see. Its an away game not a family picnic. Either get there early enough to sit at the front or don't go if you don't like it. Bad enough squawking kids taking up seats as it is.

2 hours ago, den9112 said:

Or if you got there first no problem. If your seats are taken sit somewhere else and don't be hard work for no reason

4 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Or if you got there first no problem. If your seats are taken sit somewhere else and don't be hard work for no reason

I filed it under pre-match bravado or jitters, fair dos he wants to sit next to his missus during the football any couple I'd move happily for without even asking even if they wanted my seat & the allocation was either side to where I was originally sat, it's no big deal to me.

3 minutes ago, Bluebarley said:

I filed it under pre-match bravado or jitters, fair dos he wants to sit next to his missus during the football any couple I'd move happily for without even asking even if they wanted my seat & the allocation was either side to where I was originally sat, it's no big deal to me.

Me either. Find a seat and sit on it. There will always be enough seats and two or three together. If your that kind of person you will be thier early enough anyway to sit where ever you want and probably in better seats. I've been to away games where there are a thousand spare seats and had a row to myself and been asked to move up one seat. For God sake get a grip

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Me either. Find a seat and sit on it. There will always be enough seats and two or three together. If your that kind of person you will be thier early enough anyway to sit where ever you want and probably in better seats. I've been to away games where there are a thousand spare seats and had a row to myself and been asked to move up one seat. For God sake get a grip

Not just away games, the riverside is full of people like that. 

4 hours ago, Paul said:

Stuart I can't recall the last time I commented on one of your posts. You've posted something which I view differently. I've no interest in following you or anyone else around to "like" disagreeing with them.

As for your second point can I ask you to read again? You'll see I feel it is "unthinking and selfish" but not deliberately so. Most fans don't think about it and to say people's behaviour is disgusting for following what is usually stewards advice is, for me, wrong. 

We'll have to agree to disagree.

You say they are following stewards advice, I say they are looking to sit where they want and are trying to engineer it so that they can.

Granted, as always, it will be a minority that start the problem and then everyone becomes displaced. It's very easy to blame a steward but very easy, one, to go and find the seat on your ticket and, two, if you find someone in your seat then they should move. Not say "we've been told we can sit anywhere we like".

Personally I find that (selfish) behaviour disgusting. You are telling me I am wrong. I've no idea why.

People should just go wherever they want providing there's no old people or families or disabled people put out, I will always ask a steward & follow a stewards advice after all that's what they get paid to do. If a steward says to me sit anywhere where you like that's the answer for me nobody needs to complicate things & create problems that don't exist. Everything runs smooth that way & that's the way I like it.

5 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

The bit in bold is a concern. It's definitely unsafe in the cramped rows and idiots like that will put back the debate about safe standing areas by years.

The clubs' position will be that seats are allocated on a numbered basis for safety reasons - whatever people think stewards advice is - and if, heaven forbid, there was any serious incident as a result of over-crowding, with the litigious blame culture being what it is these days, some under-paid, poorly-trained, badly-briefed "sit where you like" stewards will be hung out to dry and taken to court for negligence and/or manslaughter.

Most of the time, it wouldn't be an issue but with sell out crowds the stewards definitely need re-educating. Because a lot of football fans are happy to "do what they want".

30 minutes ago, Bluebarley said:

People should just go wherever they want providing there's no old people or families or disabled people put out, I will always ask a steward & follow a stewards advice after all that's what they get paid to do. If a steward says to me sit anywhere where you like that's the answer for me nobody needs to complicate things & create problems that don't exist. Everything runs smooth that way & that's the way I like it.

If you have a ticket with a seat number then why are you asking a steward? You are creating a problem that doesn't exist.

Archived