BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Southend

The more comments on here that I read the more I have to check the league table to make sure we haven't dropped to mid table. We are top, and whether people on here agree with me or not I think we deserve to be!

Well done Tony on another 3 points and continuing this unbelievably great run we are on. 

Championship we're on our way! 

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Personally I’m quite gratified that our manager knows more about our opponents than random blokes on the internet

No need for this. Mowbray is obviously more qualified and I made a point of stating that I think Mowbray is doing a good job to show that my statement was an isolated statement and not me berating him, just opening up a point of discussion. If you was to take that attitude then there is literally no point discussing anything, tactics, players, formations, because Mowbray knows better.

33 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yet in the few games we lost against teams perceived as average, it was said we didn't show them enough respect. 

In your final paragraph you say that it's far from the first time he has tried to man mark a mid table league 1 full back. Have you seen Messi or even Dack being man marked? I can safely say we are not man marking opposition full backs. 

You also leave out the bit from the article where Mowbray said he challenged Conway to get more goals and assists, good management getting a reaction like yesterday so, what a great assist. 

Not man marked sorry, but wingers chosen to try and shackell opposition full backs. I just personally feel that at home v mid table teams, the first thought in choosing the attacking 4 is what will make us most dangerous, and that for me is picking players based on their attacking merits. Conway has a part to play but I did feel like we were very slow, we didnt press very much in the first half and Conways lack of legs may have not helped in that regard.

I agree on the good management bit, like I said this wasnt me saying Mowbray is a bad manager but I feel like sometimes any criticism/discussion is met with the assumption that its just mindless moaning. I just find the reason for starting Conway strange, for example if he had said "I felt like we needed Conways crossing ability and he deserved a start after his goal last week" then that would have made more sense.

27 minutes ago, Biz said:

Personally I wouldn’t call a tactical decision that changes the result anything but savvy, especially consider plan A. (Dack) lasted 9 minutes.

Conway got involved a lot more than just the assist too, I think we benefit from his experience and tbf we don’t have any natural wingers fit..

As people say - overthinking might be your opinion, mine thinks this approach wins you games you might not perform in. It might lose you some games too, but reacting to the opposition and learning from recent-past experience is key to success- not an “Achilles heel!”

No successful manager simply sets his team up to win and ignores anything served up from the other team. No manager gives the full rationale for decision making in the papers either so I personally don’t judge our managers by anything but the performances, and predominantly the results.

Totally agree that you have to be aware of the other teams strengths and weaknesses.

My point is mainly, in my opinion, the right winger you choose when you are top of the league playing someone with nothing to play for at home, should be the one that you feel helps to enable you to be able to break the opponent down. I do realise that Conway set up the goal as it happens anyway, it was more just the general attitude of choosing wingers in home games v inferior opposition to shackell full backs rather than being on the front foot.

I think we look at our best when we start Graham, Armstrong, Dack and Payne. As it happens Dacks injury would have prevented that anyway, just a hypothetical conversation.

Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

The more comments on here that I read the more I have to check the league table to make sure we haven't dropped to mid table. We are top, and whether people on here agree with me or not I think we deserve to be!

Well done Tony on another 3 points and continuing this unbelievably great run we are on. 

Championship we're on our way! 

This is something that irks me a bit. People are judging conversations people are having about games and assuming that they are negative.

No one I have seen has suggested that they are anything but happy with Mowbray, the team and our position.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

This is something that irks me a bit. People are judging conversations people are having about games and assuming that they are negative.

No one I have seen has suggested that they are anything but happy with Mowbray, the team and our position.

Maybe you missed the Mowbray out thread?

But thankfully the ney Sayers have been routed out, and slowly but surely we're getting back to normal in brfccville because the positives far out way the negatives and have done all season. 

By all means discuss the bad stuff, if you can find any, but it shouldn't dominate every thread like it has been doing all season, and I don't include you in that 99, you're a good objective poster and a credit to the site.

Back to The Masters.

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

But thankfully the ney Sayers have been routed out, and slowly but surely we're getting back to normal in brfccville because the positives far out way the negatives and have done all season. 

By all means discuss the bad stuff, if you can find any, but it shouldn't dominate every thread like it has been doing all season, and I don't include you in that 99, you're a good objective poster and a credit to the site.

Back to The Masters.

Thanks Gav. I think the Mowbray out thread was from back at the start of the season to be fair.

On a run of 8 wins and 2 draws in 10, theres very little to be negative about, so I agree.

33 minutes ago, Gav said:

Back to The Masters.

Talking of the masters.. Has anyone ever seen Benno and Tiger Woods in the same room? 

13 hours ago, arbitro said:

There has to be consistency and it should start from the beginning of the game. Southend were clearly killing the game at every restart pretty much in accordance with their managers pre match comments about frustrating us. We were around the 40th minute mark when he started to try and get Southends restarts speeded up. When we scored we slowed it down and rightly he was on our case.

Why should we slow it down when we go a goal up just on the hour and playing at home. Why ? 

As for professional players guided by professional managers allegedly taking their time during the first half of a nil nil contest, you have to ask, why, did the other set of professional footballers keep putting the ball out of play and what could they do to prevent this from happening or was this a tactic also.Instead of blaming the referee.

Just now, JAL said:

Why should we slow it down when we go a goal up just on the hour and playing at home. Why ? 

As for professional players guided by professional managers allegedly taking their time during the first half of a nil nil contest, you have to ask, why, did the other set of professional footballers keep putting the ball out of play and what could they do to prevent this from happening or was this a tactic also.

I don't know for sure on your first point but having been there once Southend went a goal down they made three substitutions with Fortune and Robinson coming on making it a decent three up front. They were on top, enjoying plenty of possession and looking dangerous. It was the professional and sensible thing to do.

On you second point I really don't understand what you mean. Is it a question or opinion?

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Back to The Masters.

Thing is Gav. We are so close now we can taste it. But if we don’t go up from here...

- it’s still a disaster

- it makes it a depressing season

- the team will have underachieved

- Mowbray will have failed

Success and failure are balanced on a knife edge and games like yesterday do nothing to calm the nerves.

Just now, Stuart said:

Thing is Gav. We are so close now we can taste it. But if we don’t go up from here...

- it’s still a disaster

Success and failure are balanced on a knife edge and games like yesterday do nothing to calm the nerves.

I totally agree on how delicate our success/failure is.

As much as I agree that games yesterday dont calm the nerves during the 90 minutes, specifically in injury time, they do as soon as its full time, in that weve not dropped any points, and ease the nerves between the full time whistle and the next game.

I personally dont necessarily agree with everything he did yesterday, in fact I questioned him picking teams at home to nullify mid table League 1 full backs. But just like promotion is a black or white, success or failure issue, so is picking up 3 points yesterday.

We are at a stage where the only thing that matters is results, and 8 wins and 2 draws from 10 is exactly what is needed to calm the nerves. 

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

- it’s still a disaster

........and you'll still be back next season and so will I, because Mowbray and the current crop of players have brought a bit of pride back into the football club, and that's far more important in my book than one seasons success or failure. 

Back to The Masters.

3 hours ago, Gav said:

Back to The Masters.

Bloody hell Gav----"nay-sayers!!!! All it needs is someone to throw "Happy  Clappers" in and we're off again!

What we don't need here is a load of sheep who see we are top of the league and think there is nothing to be concerned about.

Its short-sighted rubbish.

• J*B unpinned this topic

Archived