BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bobby Saxton

29 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I nexer met Saxton and Im sure he was a good bloke and everything but I think there are some slightly rose tinted recollections of his time in charge. My impression thinking back is that he was way too loyal to certain players ( can't think who that sounds like)  that the Board stuck with him for far too long, and things went badly South towards the end of his reign. There was also another season before it went wrong when we were clear at the top by 3 or 4 points at Christmas and I was thinking we only needed another nine or ten wins from twenty odd game to secure promotion to the promised land of Division One pre Sky, pre the Premiership and pre Uncle Jack only for us to completely implode and finish nowhere. It looked like there were some players assessing their situation and coming to the conclusion that if we were promoted they'd be out of the door in the second half of that season.

Don McKay eventually came in to replace him from a relatively unassuming background (one of the Dundee Clubs I think) and was fat superior to Saxton in every way imo. He was on a shortlist of three and I was expecting Gary Bowyer's dad Ian to get the job. Cant remember who was the 3rd person shortlisted.

The old Rovers don't really want to go up rumours that regularly did the rounds back then.

Just now, tomphil said:

The old Rovers don't really want to go up rumours that regularly did the rounds back then.

Yeah, but when you discover what the promotion bonuses for getting to the first division were in relation to the wages at the time, no player in his right mind would have 'not tried' to get into the top two. All that 'deliberately avoiding promotion' stuff was just frustrated angry fans looking for a reason why we fooked up again. Thank God social media hadn't been invented back then......

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Remember hundreds pouring out of the BBE and onto the Nuttall st enclosure in protest....seemed a bit harsh looking back.Saxtons 'nearly men' indeed!

Point taken Rev about him being too loyal to certain players but let's not forget the club had barely a pot to piss in at the time.

It’s always been the way though. No matter if it’s individual errors, bad luck or the run of teams played: managers have always carried the can for results.

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I was in the pro Shop at Blackburn Golf Club as a teenager once when I overheard Burnley Bob Coar telling the professional at the time we couldn't really afford to go up. How I managed to keep my mouth shut I've no idea.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Yeah, but when you discover what the promotion bonuses for getting to the first division were in relation to the wages at the time, no player in his right mind would have 'not tried' to get into the top two. All that 'deliberately avoiding promotion' stuff was just frustrated angry fans looking for a reason why we fooked up again. Thank God social media hadn't been invented back then......

This place would've been interesting ?

They were big rumours at the time though I remember my old man who wasn't a Rovers or football fan but worked in Blackburn coming home and telling me. Don't bother with that lot he said they can't afford to go up, think the repairs to the crumbling ground and paying those bigger wages and bonuses featured highly as there wouldn't have been huge crowds or tv money then.

Probably a load of old rubbish as you say fact was they weren't good enough and couldn't afford good enough players. As mentioned a small tight knit squad who had each others backs mostly but doubt they'd avoid promotion on purpose although I don't doubt they over did the odd night out and didn't quite fancy busting a gut in away games at Cambridge on a Weds night in front of about 30 traveling fans lol

15 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I think Don and Bobby should be held in similar esteem and without those two (and Howard Kendall before them) we would never have been in a position to attract Sir Kenneth Matheson Dalglish to the Rovers.

Totally agree.Both Managers kept our head above water whilst the rest of the Lancashire town teams tumbled down the divisions in quick succession.

Full respect to them for that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Not sure we could have afforded to pay big bonuses back then and if you're going to put yourself out of a job by being replaced with someone better.....

Also from the Club's point of view there was no such thing as TV place/ money back then so the only incentive for going up was increased revenue from attendance and sponsorship  balanced against having to replace practically an entire team to have a chance at survival.

Great times. Rovers laid on coaches to away games from all surrounding areas, except the Ribble Valley for some reason. So the Valley  Blues organised their own transport to every single game through the decade, usually a coach but if numbers were low, a tranny van. Legendary trips, including Highfield Road where the first ale stop was the bloody Farthings. Then there was Maine Road when we got to the Derby Brewery Arms on Cheetham Hill  Road about 10am and the landlord let us in.

• Like 2

I loved those days and it didn't matter that we were skint or failed to get promoted to the top flight. When I look back at old programmes now, or old pictures, the nostalgia washes over me and I long for that feeling of spirit and togetherness. I might just be getting old, but it just doesn't feel like that any more. 

• Like 6

Know exactly where you are coming from IraC,a visit to the Old Ewood seemed a much better experience back in the day...a warmer more happy atmosphere.A sense of anticipation in the air as you clicked through the old BEE turnstile that seems lacking these days.

Those days always bring a smile to my face.

• Like 1

I remember Bobby hauling Garner off with about 20 minutes to go in a home fixture. We were losing and the crowd went absolutely mental. Me and my brother were in our early teens at the time and were almost in tears at the indignity heaped on our hero. Shouts of Saxton out began and Bobby's days were numbered. Garner milked the fans reaction dry, glowering at Sacko and stalking off down the tunnel. 

For all Garner's prowess in Saxton's early days, I think he went a bit stale prior to Saxton going. Don Mackay really got him going again and Garner became a truly great player in Mackay's years in charge. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colt Seavers said:

I remember Bobby hauling Garner off with about 20 minutes to go in a home fixture. We were losing and the crowd went absolutely mental. Me and my brother were in our early teens at the time and were almost in tears at the indignity heaped on our hero. Shouts of Saxton out began and Bobby's days were numbered. Garner milked the fans reaction dry, glowering at Sacko and stalking off down the tunnel. 

For all Garner's prowess in Saxton's early days, I think he went a bit stale prior to Saxton going. Don Mackay really got him going again and Garner became a truly great player in Mackay's years in charge. 

Yes and I can remember one of the mates ringing me to tell me that they’ve finally sacked the clown. 

• Like 1