BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Safe Standing - Your Thoughts

7 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I've never and probably never will understand this. Personally I'm not going to feel any more like singing just because I'm stood up. I don't really get why people are (apparently) singing less because they're sat down. It's completely bizarre to me.

About the only profesional singer I can recall who sits down to sing is Val Doonican. It is the same why choirs stand up to sing. The human vocal system produces more sound stood up than sat down. I also think that in human psycology, people are more extavert in a group. When you are stood together, it feels more like you are part of a group than if you are sat down. Thus people sing and shout more.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, rigger said:

About the only profesional singer I can recall who sits down to sing is Val Doonican. It is the same why choirs stand up to sing. The human vocal system produces more sound stood up than sat down. I also think that in human psycology, people are more extavert in a group. When you are stood together, it feels more like you are part of a group than if you are sat down. Thus people sing and shout more.

Yeh I'm an actor from time to time, so I do know about the (fairly minor, at least in my case) vocal advantages of being stood up. Proper posture even sat down will correct for some of these, as the lower half of your body isn't involved in singing and only has a small effect on posture if you've already got your back straight. I already figured somebody was going to make this argument.

Your second point is a bit more compelling to me, although speculative. I'm not too sure that being stood up makes you feel more like you're in a  group. If that part is actually true then yeh maybe it could make a difference psychologically.

17 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Yeh I'm an actor from time to time, so I do know about the (fairly minor, at least in my case) vocal advantages of being stood up. Proper posture even sat down will correct for some of these, as the lower half of your body isn't involved in singing and only has a small effect on posture if you've already got your back straight. I already figured somebody was going to make this argument.

Your second point is a bit more compelling to me, although speculative. I'm not too sure that being stood up makes you feel more like you're in a  group. If that part is actually true then yeh maybe it could make a difference psychologically.

Do you see many people sitting with a correct posture at football matches ? Most I see are hunched over.

3 hours ago, rigger said:

Do you see many people sitting with a correct posture at football matches ? Most I see are hunched over.

This is true. I suppose there is an argument that standing forces the correct posture. But that issue could be solved as easily by people just sitting up straight when they sing as it could by totally rebuilding stands.

16 hours ago, bluebruce said:

This is true. I suppose there is an argument that standing forces the correct posture. But that issue could be solved as easily by people just sitting up straight when they sing as it could by totally rebuilding stands.

Why would it involve totally rebuilding stands ?

2 hours ago, rigger said:

Why would it involve totally rebuilding stands ?

Would it not? I didn't mean literally knocking it down first or anything, but I assume 'safe standing' doesn't happen by just pulling the seats out. I assume there are other structural costs required.

21 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Would it not? I didn't mean literally knocking it down first or anything, but I assume 'safe standing' doesn't happen by just pulling the seats out. I assume there are other structural costs required.

So not  as you said Totally Rebuilding the stand. If the financial giants of Shrewsbury town can do, I don't see why we can't. 

Edited by rigger

So not  as you said Totally Rebuilding the stand. If the financial giants of Shrewsbury town can do, I don't see why we can't. 

I already clarified I didn't mean it literally, correct. I never implied we can't do it, I'm suggesting it likely has costs that exceed the gain, particularly at a stage where the club is clearly cutting back on spend.

On 30/08/2021 at 23:53, Oldgregg86 said:

it has to be the Darwen end lower for me. Doesn't upset any current season ticket holders and would create a better atmosphere being next to the away fans. 

Wouldn’t create any sort of atmosphere at Ewood. When the singers relocated there, during the last few seasons of our PL days, instead of sitting up next to the fence next to the away fans, to create some atmosphere/banter, they all positioned themselves as far from the away fans as they could get. Under the Radio Rovers studio, you couldn’t make it up, can’t think of any other fans, anywhere, that would have done that. 

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I already clarified I didn't mean it literally, correct. I never implied we can't do it, I'm suggesting it likely has costs that exceed the gain, particularly at a stage where the club is clearly cutting back on spend.

Bollocks

12 hours ago, Bad Boy said:

It is going to be NO1 in the BBE.  It is more advanced than you think.

Interesting how that will go down, because away from that very top corner of a hundred or so who stand throughout, the rest of the block is packed with long standing ST holders, many ‘of an age’, quite a lot of small kids and families too.

Edited by Mattyblue

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Interesting how that will go down, because away from that very top corner of a hundred or so who stand throughout, the rest of the block is packed with long standing ST holders, many ‘of an age’, quite a lot of small kids and families too.

I would genuinely hope that the Club has learned from past mistakes and will explain, consult and listen to those affected.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
15 hours ago, Bad Boy said:

It is going to be NO1 in the BBE.  It is more advanced than you think.

That’s not been decided yet and I heard this from the horse’s mouth. When the horse was sat across the table from me….

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

That’s not been decided yet and I heard this from the horse’s mouth. When the horse was sat across the table from me….

What has not been decided yet ? Whether we are going to have safe standing, or whether it will be in NO1 ?

17 minutes ago, rigger said:

What has not been decided yet ? Whether we are going to have safe standing, or whether it will be in NO1 ?

cos the government has only just allowing it to happen? Plus Rovers need to consult fans whether it is welcome or needed, plus where it will go and coosult any fans who might be affected by this change

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

cos the government has only just allowing it to happen? Plus Rovers need to consult fans whether it is welcome or needed, plus where it will go and coosult any fans who might be affected by this change

Chaddy before you add your comments, I would suggest that you read the premise of the discussion, and read the question asked of K-Hod.

• Moderation Lead

Both. I think they are keen for it to happen though. N01 is the most likely spot for it though, I’d say.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, rigger said:

What did Mister Ed say ?

It’s in the FF minutes like, but I think they mentioned the cost and it needs some consultation with the fans that sit there too.

Conscious of upsetting long serving season ticket holders in that area that want to sit down.

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

It’s in the FF minutes like, but I think they mentioned the cost and it needs some consultation with the fans that sit there too.

Conscious of upsetting long serving season ticket holders in that area that want to sit down.

They have never been worried about upsetting fans before, why would this be any different ? But I thought you had an update from the horses mouth.

12 minutes ago, rigger said:

They have never been worried about upsetting fans before, why would this be any different ? But I thought you had an update from the horses mouth.

Would you buy a season ticket if safe standing was allowed in now 

And of course all fans should be cousult before anything happens