BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Safe Standing - Your Thoughts

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

long way to go but the govt is lifting the ban on standing at football grounds,everyone in favour??

the riverside would be an ideal place for it imo,be great😊

I would say, the Riverside would be the easiest place to convert to a standing area. The ideal place would be on the Blackburn End.

• Like 1

Got to be the Blackburn End or at least the rear half of it.

Would probably have to be riverside though for easiest cheapest conversion.  So basically that rules Ewood out seeing as there isn't even money for a new pitch.

personally I'd be all for it and would rather stand and have the ability to move about, rather than being tied to a single seat for the season.  Unfortunately I don't see anyone at the club having the foresight or indeed the finance department allocating the budget to covert the Riverside into terracing, including any requirements that would be needed for modern day terracing.

8 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

long way to go but the govt is lifting the ban on standing at football grounds,everyone in favour??

the riverside would be an ideal place for it imo,be great😊

Why would the Riverside be the ideal place? The Riverside regulars, myself included, have never stood up at matches in this stand, it’s one of the reasons we sit there. If we had wanted to, we would have seats in the Blackburn End or lower Darwen End. These sections would be more popular and appropriate to the supporters more likely to want to stand. Also, these areas would generate much more atmosphere and visual impact. So please, leave us Riversiders be and jump up and down to your heart’s content elsewhere.

Edited by Riversider28
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Riversider28 said:

Why would the Riverside be the ideal place? The Riverside regulars, myself included, have never stood up at matches in this stand, it’s one of the reasons we sit there. If we had wanted to, we would have seats in the Blackburn End or lower Darwen End. These sections would be more popular and appropriate to the supporters more likely to want to stand. Also, these areas would generate much more atmosphere and visual impact. So please, leave us Riversiders be and jump up and down to your heart’s content elsewhere.

Yes, it has to be the bottom left half of the blackburn end and then go from there if it proves popular.

You want the standing fans on telly when we score it looks miles better 

I imagine people are saying the Riverside because the club would be most willing to rip the seats out and convert that stand.

All moot as I just can’t see them being bothered to do it to any stand - though as we’ve said before infrastructure is not part of FFP, so the ‘never refuse a cheque-ers’ will oblige, no?

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers need to engage with fans/season ticket holders whether their would be enough interest in a standing section at Ewood Park and where to position it in the stadium. 

You wouldn't want to force any season ticket holders from their current seat 

A standing section of the correct size and location, priced correctly, would be filled most games. 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Replying to chaddy No, they can't afford to alienate any more st holders than they have already

If they were to choose any reasonable area, it would not alienate that many season ticket holders. NO1 I would suggest, has a fair percentage of people who would take up the standing option. Anyone who wants to sit, could just move across to NO2. Not a major change of view.  

1 hour ago, rigger said:

A standing section of the correct size and location, priced correctly, would be filled most games. 

Without conducting a proper consultation we don't know. 

Would you buy a season ticket in this new standing area? 

1 hour ago, rigger said:

If they were to choose any reasonable area, it would not alienate that many season ticket holders. NO1 I would suggest, has a fair percentage of people who would take up the standing option. Anyone who wants to sit, could just move across to NO2. Not a major change of view.  

Not in favour in alienate any supporters then why you need to consult the fans

19 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

They don’t usually.

‘ST holder in the BEnd Upper? Tough, it’s closed’

’ST holder in the DEnd? Tough, it’s closed’.

Coming shortly to a ground near you : Season ticket holder in the Riverside, tough, it's closed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

They don’t usually.

‘ST holder in the BEnd Upper? Tough, it’s closed’

’ST holder in the DEnd? Tough, it’s closed’.

That's precisely why they need to be careful. We had 4 tickets in BBE Upper. We now have none anywhere

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Easiest option for me would be make the bottom half of the Darwen end all standing and split it 50:50 home and away. No season ticket holders to upset that way.

It would work as long as the Rovers fans were at the Jack Walker side rather than at the riverside. I bet the police would complain about both sets of fans being in the same end

it has to be the Darwen end lower for me. Doesn't upset any current season ticket holders and would create a better atmosphere being next to the away fans. It would also keep other fans happy who want to just sit and watch the game without all the standing and laddish behaviour. I used to go to Springfield park a lot as a kid and i went to the away game at burton and i prefer to sit . I personally don't understand the clamour for terracing back but its clearly a popular opinion so hopefully Rovers can find a fair way to accommodate all and it should be done if possible

I could only envisage a couple of hundred or so fans at Ewood wanting to stand. 

Anyone under the age of about forty has probably never been on a terrace so might not understand its appeal. Most people in their forties, fifties and upwards probably prefer to sit these days and I can't see it as a generally popular option for the vast majority of our female supporters. 

Ten or fifteen years ago might have been the time to do this but it may be too late now, once the novelty has worn off.

You have a point Colt.

Someone mentioned NO1 of the Blackburn End. Yes, the back corner has a hundred of so folk stood up throughout the game.

But the rest of that block is full of folk that have been there for donkeys years. They were probably bouncing around the old Blackburn End terrace in 1992, but thirty years on I’m not sure how much appetite is there now!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

On 29/08/2021 at 22:59, Riversider28 said:

How long have you been going? My fondest memories are standing on the Riverside, with my dad and brother. Young wippersnapper! Bring back the open bogs, and allow the supporters to walk around the ground from the Darwen end to the Blackburn end at half time.

9 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

How long have you been going? My fondest memories are standing on the Riverside, with my dad and brother. Young wippersnapper! Bring back the open bogs, and allow the supporters to walk around the ground from the Darwen end to the Blackburn end at half time.

I’ve been going to Ewood since 1959, my dad lifting me over the perimeter wall on the Riverside to sit on the raised wooden planks alongside all the other kids. I stood on the terraces until all seating became compulsory, but nowadays I’m quite happy to sit with my daughter and a friend I’ve known since primary school. I have similar memories as yourself of standing on the terraces and swapping ends at half time, but that’s what they are now.....fond memories.