BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Favourite Stanchions and Nets

blackburn box netting.webpFor the stanchion and net geeks.  What was your favourite Ewood stanchions?

1988 Loop with Stripey nets

1992-94 Stamford Bridge type stanchions

1994/5 Loop

1995 onwards modern box netting

Box nets:

ewood box net.jpg

1994/95 loop

ewood nets 1994.jpg

blackburn box netting.webp1988 stripes

1988 nets.jpg

1992-94 Stamford bridge type

imgID159960077.jpg.gallery.jpg

Edited by Nuttall is lost

When I first saw this thread I had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn’t April 1st. In over 60 years of following footy I have never once given a thought about what type of nets have been used. However, fair play to anyone who has an interest in such obscure things. It takes all sorts as they say. As long as our players keep on putting the ball into the back of the net, I won’t mind what type it is.

I always liked nets that billowed when a player struck a screamer from 30 yards. These days the nets seem rigid and the ball bounces off, which is less satisfying to me. Am I the only one that thinks this? 🤓

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, toogs said:

I always liked nets that billowed when a player struck a screamer from 30 yards. These days the nets seem rigid and the ball bounces off, which is less satisfying to me. Am I the only one that thinks this? 🤓

No.  You will feel at home here with me and the other oddballs.

Need net sag as this makes goals look spectacular.  Think USA 94

• Like 1

An interesting thread for the net geeks, Nuttall. Box netting for me every time over the loop. I wasn't a fan of the netting and stanchions used at Ewood pre '95/96. Now this will sound geeky (or sad, take your pick) but the design of the netting at Ewood changed every season for a good few years from '95/96 onwards. It was still a box net but you'll notice from watching highlights that the pattern of the goal net was different  in '95/96 than it was in '96/97 and '97/98.

My favourite nets at Ewood are those from '97/98. Perfect box shape, good design. I noticed in '01/02 and maybe in '02/03 we went with a narrower looking net, by that I mean there wasn't as much distance from the goal line to the back of the net so there wasn't that box look. Don't know what you thought of those, Nuttall? I didn't like them. We did go back to more of a box shape in 03/04 though.

I think my interest in goal nets goes back to the days of Subbuteo when as a kid I was fascinated by the different types of goals and netting you could buy. My dad wasn't though, as you can imagine! Ha.

I can't say I've paid much attention to the Ewood nets this past decade. They've been a bit 'meh' as most things have been under these owners. I think we went with blue netting temporarily a few years ago, but it didn't interest me much at the time due to the state that the club was in. I think the manager at the time, it might have been Lambert or Mowbray even, asked for the netting to be changed back to white. Anyway, good topic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperBrfc said:

An interesting thread for the net geeks, Nuttall. Box netting for me every time over the loop. I wasn't a fan of the netting and stanchions used at Ewood pre '95/96. Now this will sound geeky (or sad, take your pick) but the design of the netting at Ewood changed every season for a good few years from '95/96 onwards. It was still a box net but you'll notice from watching highlights that the pattern of the goal net was different  in '95/96 than it was in '96/97 and '97/98.

My favourite nets at Ewood are those from '97/98. Perfect box shape, good design. I noticed in '01/02 and maybe in '02/03 we went with a narrower looking net, by that I mean there wasn't as much distance from the goal line to the back of the net so there wasn't that box look. Don't know what you thought of those, Nuttall? I didn't like them. We did go back to more of a box shape in 03/04 though.

I think my interest in goal nets goes back to the days of Subbuteo when as a kid I was fascinated by the different types of goals and netting you could buy. My dad wasn't though, as you can imagine! Ha.

I can't say I've paid much attention to the Ewood nets this past decade. They've been a bit 'meh' as most things have been under these owners. I think we went with blue netting temporarily a few years ago, but it didn't interest me much at the time due to the state that the club was in. I think the manager at the time, it might have been Lambert or Mowbray even, asked for the netting to be changed back to white. Anyway, good topic.

I think the netting changed to a hexagonal design rather than the square ones around 1997-1998.  Yes theyw ent to shallower nets possibly around 2000-2006.  Might have been when Souness was manager but cant remember.

For me 94/95 as I love the loop and Shearer's goal looked better with the ball hitting the saggy nets.  I think Le Tissier's at Ewood at the end of 1994 looked all the better for it.

Love the 92/93 stanchions as well.  That was a bit of a strange move to go to those after 91/92 as they are a very old fashioned design.

I always wondered who decides to change the post/stanchons every year and why they go for certain types of posts.  Chelsea and spurs literally never changed their goals from the 70s until the box nettign came in circa Euro 96.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

What about the fashion of cutting patterns into the pitch after the 94 world cup?

The ruthless brutal authoritarian regime that governs the Premier League  have outlawed the practice.

Leicester City was a thing of beauty

Never seen it done at Ewood.  The most adventurous the groundsman got was doing a diagonal patter for the odd game around Nov 1994